Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 01:40 AM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times

Advertisements

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-trump/583642/

I'll consider him. Passed on him in previous political seasons, but I'll look at him again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 05:39 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
If there's a god, hell no.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:40 PM

It comes down to vision and results. What you want vs what you can get. Emphasize one or the other.

What Bernie wants vs what Cuomo helped get. I see a need for both. But between the 2, I think Cuomo might have the better chance of winning the Presidency. I can see certain swing voters going for Cuomo in Michigan and Pennsylvania and maybe Florida that might make the difference.

Cuomo doesn't make it easy to get behind him. But I probably could if he got into the race, given the current field full of candidates who imo have bigger electability issues.

If you think beating Trump is likely or going to be fairly easily you might be tempted to go for more radical change. Right now, I think Trump winning re-election is probably more likely than not against current Democratic options.

The more centrists Kennedy, Johnson, Carter, Clinton won. The more liberal Humphrey, McGovern, Mondale lost. Dukakis, Kerry and Gore lost too, probably more based on personality than policy. Obama won mostly on personality but he didn't scare off that many swing voters on policy.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:20 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Cuomo won't run. He knows he doesn't stand a chance outside of NY state.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:46 PM

2024 may be more likely for a run. But let's see if anyone has strength or control by August.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:51 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,039 times
I live in NY state and say heck no to voting for Cuomo.

Andrew Yang is my guy. If he’s not on the ticket then it’s a toss up between Bernie and Trump, but Bernie’s immigration policies have me leaning towards Trump.

Yang I would vote for. Anyone else would be a vote against the other person.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:05 PM

Cuomo's personality is the main argument against his nomination or general election win but there is some chance he could turn the case around. The tough guy act can work and has worked recently. It is what Bernie is trying.

McAuliffe is probably more likely.

The winner this time probably won't have won in previous years. The frontrunner going into the convention might only have 40% of the total delegates, or less or much less. Do you see any primary candidate that is likely to turn it on and win 25-35 states by clear margins? I haven't studied the current delegate division rules, but the winner has a pretty high chance imo of being decided at the convention and maybe after many ballots. Probably from the top 2 but not guaranteed. Depends how stubborn the main blocs are and how everybody else sorts it out. Super-delegates restricted from immediate impact but may in the end deliver the swing momentum needed.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-16-2019 at 06:14 PM..

Old 04-16-2019, 06:15 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,039 times
Cuomo’s personality is very similar to Trump’s-insult and bully.

He’s been preparing for a run for years, just look at the policies he’s pushed in NYS. It’s clear to anyone who is paying attention that he’s setting himself up for a presidential run. I’m guessing in 2024.

I think he’s more electable this current cycle than someone like Joe Biden or Elizabeth Warren. But he is not a unifyer- he would be as divisive as Trump.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:17 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,278,237 times
His personality is a big problem. That, plus the ego as big as Trump's.

If he can win without a single Republican or conservative vote, and with having lost a handful of independents, maybe he has a chance, but you know the first thing an opponent is going to do is play back this gem:

"“Who are they? Are they these extreme conservatives, who are right-to-life, pro-assault weapon, antigay, is that who they are? Because if that is who they are, and if they are the extreme conservatives, they have no place in the state of New York."

Now, he did say extreme conservatives, but then I know independent voters who are right-to-life. Are they extreme conservatives? He tried to say his words were misconstrued, but then followed later with this: "if you are right to life, that is your opinion and that’s your religious belief, that is fine but that is not the opinion of this state, which 70% are pro-choice in this state.” Kind of sounds more like doubling down than anything else. Too reminiscent of Hillary's deplorables comment.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:21 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
I hope he does run. A debate between two Queens natives would be grand entertainment. That is politics today. Entertainment With Trump the clown prince.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections