Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:13 PM

58 posts, read 92,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraKGrisgby View Post
Everyone knows that you show your love and loyalty to America by wearing tacky pins made in China!

No wonder they're so bitter. The Clintons snatched jobs right under their noses while they were worrying about flag pins and the Star Spangled Banner.
When I read statements and see where people live to me that tells wonders.
Being originally from Pa it does not surprise. Out of the different places I have lived and visited in the world and U.S.A , Pa was always the place I hated the most. My sister and I argue over who hates it the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 08:19 PM

728 posts, read 1,675,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackToTheCityMouse View Post
Yo, yo, d00d, wait a minute. I am not a Republican. (I registered Republican when I was 18 because back in the early 70s mainstream Repubs were fiscally conservative but otherwise libertarian.)

I admire anyone with the brains and determination to persue advanced degrees, and that includes Obama and both of his parents. What turns me off about him is that he seems to distort his true family background in his campaign ads to make it more lower middle class. Like the bit about his mother being a teen mom and then a single mom. Today having a baby at 18 or 19 isn't typical for college students, but women did start families after high school in the early 1960s. And she was a DIVORCED single mom with strong support from her parents.

Obama's family background is really unusual, and I think that is actually cool! What bothers me is that he seems to talk down the coolness of it all: the free-thinking American grandparents, the African family which embraced several cultures (Muslim, tribal African, modern African), his stepfather's Indonesian culture. Obama was never poor, deprived, and hopeless. That's okay, though, because all of our presidents have been relatively educated men, intelligent and advantaged. And some of them were incredible human beings.

What I am not hearing from Obama are any concrete positions, specific changes he would try to make, and so forth. Right now we are looking at massive change global in scope. Slogans and feel-good chanting may inspire campaign contributions, but it won't solve problems -- either here in the US or around the world.

I'd love for Obama to show me that I am mistaken. But I don't think he will, and I expect McCain to win BIG in November.
Cool isn't how I would describe Obama's family. Obama's dad pretty much left his family and returned to Kenya. His mother married an Indonesian student and Barack eventually moved in with his maternal grandparents. The only stability that Obama had while growing up was provided by his grandparents, and he didn't hesitate a bit to throw is grandmother under the bus when his relationship with the Rev Wright was being brought up. You may define this as cool. I prefer to think of it as rather dysfunctional.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:25 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,998,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Mm hmm...ok.

You didn't answer the question.

I prefer to review a candidates record for myself and decide within the context of the vote if I agree with him or her. You appear to take a lot of stock in the news media, I don't.

I you want to understand what one believes, look at what they have accomplished.
In Obama's case, absolutely, positively nothing. And given his political viewpoints, we should all be thankful.

Obama is an empty-suit. He is a skilled orator but has no substance other than his adherence to the precepts of the contemporary "progressive" movement.

McCain definitely wouldn't be my first choice but he's a damn sight better than Obama. I work hard to earn my money and I don't want some leftist like Obama stealing it from my pocket to fund his ridiculous social programs. I believe the Obama spend-o-meter's recent tally is over $800 billion in new government spending. Brilliant. As I've previously stated, I'd vote for Mickey Mouse before that idiot.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:53 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,314,373 times
I will vote for him if Hillary is VP... otherwise, I will stay home and let the dice roll. I still do not trust him and if I voted for him and he betrayed the American people I would not be able to live with myself. I trust Hillary.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:06 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
In Obama's case, absolutely, positively nothing. And given his political viewpoints, we should all be thankful.

Obama is an empty-suit. He is a skilled orator but has no substance other than his adherence to the precepts of the contemporary "progressive" movement.

McCain definitely wouldn't be my first choice but he's a damn sight better than Obama. I work hard to earn my money and I don't want some leftist like Obama stealing it from my pocket to fund his ridiculous social programs. I believe the Obama spend-o-meter's recent tally is over $800 billion in new government spending. Brilliant. As I've previously stated, I'd vote for Mickey Mouse before that idiot.
This is what the media has induced you to believe?

Old 05-07-2008, 09:08 PM

236 posts, read 615,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
I believe the Obama spend-o-meter's recent tally is over $800 billion in new government spending. Brilliant. As I've previously stated, I'd vote for Mickey Mouse before that idiot.

800 billion to mend poverty,unemployment and lack of health care in America-not smart

12 billion a month(144 billion a year) and thousands of lives to continue an illegal,pointless war=smart

Old 05-07-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
This is what the media has induced you to believe?
I pay no attention whatsoever to the so-called "mainstream media." I've been following politics closely for over two decades and spend many, many hours on the Internet every week poring over myriad information sources.

Obama's far-left record and his stated intentions are crystal clear. He is a radical "progressive" who would have an extremely detrimental effect on the nation if even half of his cockamamie schemes came to pass.

When I reference the influence of the news media it is in relation to their completely biased coverage of the election and their constant omission, obfuscation, and outright prevarication which is meant to sway those who don't bother to think for themselves.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lioninaconcretejungle View Post
800 billion to mend poverty,unemployment and lack of health care in America-not smart

12 billion a month(144 billion a year) and thousands of lives to continue an illegal,pointless war=smart
The fact that you referred to the Iraq conflict as "illegal" proves conclusively that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

It truly frightens me that people who share your naive and economically-ignorant viewpoint can vote. The government can't solve the problems that you cited and several decades and trillions of dollars have proven that undeniable fact. Please educate yourself before making such simplistic and false assertions.

Ronald Reagan was 100% on the mark when he said that the nine most dangerous words in the English language were "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Last edited by Classic Satch; 05-07-2008 at 09:29 PM..

Old 05-07-2008, 09:20 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,614,478 times
I wouldnt vote for him if he was the last man standing.

I will write in Mickey Mouse first. At least Mickey has character and has never lied to us all.

Nobama even stole Mickeys ears.

Nobama 08
Scam artist & fraud
Leader of the rat pack

Old 05-07-2008, 09:54 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
If it quacks like a duck -- it's a duck. There are clearly people who have reservations about voting for Obama because of his race. It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to see this.

Futhermore, I think it's funny how I'm "arrogant" when I call someone out on a pretty dubious statement, but you're this "voice of reason" when you call someone out for expressing an opinion that is favorable to Democrats? That's ludicrous. Believe it or not, there are people who disagree with your line of thinking -- it doesn't make them "Leftist" or a "lemming." Frankly, I'm tired of this Left v. Right, liberal v. conservative, Democrat v. Republican thinking. You can throw all of the divisive language at me all you want, but my point still stands -- by trashing candidates like they're contestants on American Idol, we are not focusing on the important issues.
Noone is not going to vote for Obama because of his race. Do you really believe that? We don't want Obama because he is an emoty suit with no real plan, noone knows what exactly he is going to change. Everyone with a brain however does know that he is buddies with some of the most rascist (Wright, I refuse to call him reverend) and anti American (that weather undergroud guy, he is too worthless for me to even say his name) people in America though. Guilt by association, would you want your kid (if you have one0 to hang around with dangerous trash for friends? How about the guy you want as your next president?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections