Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 11:21 AM

8,489 posts, read 8,769,080 times

Advertisements

Buttigieg is an official candidate now... but his website still has NO policy page. None.

He has said isolated things on policy but he isn't focusing on that. You have to look it up so far. It is mainly short general statements, not detailed plans. He says it isn't time for it yet. I disagree. If you run for President you should put out a platform. No reason to be undecided or reluctant to share it... other than for selfish tactical reasons. It will eventually change to some degree I assume; but he has expressed his preference. Image and resume over policy proposals. It may be smart but I don't really agree with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 11:24 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 16 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,524,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Buttigieg is an official candidate now... but his website still has NO policy page. None.

He has said isolated things on policy but he isn't focusing on that. You have to look it up so far. It is mainly short general statements, not detailed plans. He says it isn't time for it yet. I disagree. If you run for President you should put out a platform. No reason to be undecided or reluctant to share it... other than for selfish tactical reasons. It will eventually change to some degree I assume; but he has expressed his preference. Image and resume over policy proposals. It may be smart but I don't really agree with it.
You are right and wrong.

Yes, you should always have a platform, but Mayor Pete is clearly answering people's questions when he is meeting them at these townhalls and get togethers.

So its not like he is just out there as being anti Trump, he is putting forth his ideas and people like him. Not having them on his website is not the same as not having a platform.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:39 AM

Answering people's questions mostly with short general answers or with detailed plans and specific commitments?

Not having them on his website is a decision, for the time being at least, not to have a written platform. And not having a written platform is not having a platform to me. Unless in his speeches he essentially says "... and here is my platform..." or "these are the top things on my platform..."

I'll try to review his announcement and other big speeches. The reporting has not focused much on policy proposals.

Announcement video: One third in before 3 general values / "goals" mentioned. Brief expositions on them. And then... zero policy proposals or commitments in the entire speech.

There is a recent LA Times story on this subject. I haven't been able to read it yet. If anyone has it, I'd be interested in a summary or an excerpt or two.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-17-2019 at 12:23 PM..

Old 04-17-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Answering people's questions mostly with short general answers or with detailed plans and specific commitments?

Not having them on his website is a decision, for the time being at least, not to have a written platform. And not having a written platform is not having a platform to me. Unless in his speeches he essentially says "... and here is my platform..." or "these are the top things on my platform..."

I'll try to review his announcement and other big speeches. The reporting has not focused much on policy proposals.

Announcement video: One third in before 3 "goals" mentioned. Brief expositions on them. And then... zero policy proposals or commitments in the entire speech.

There is a recent LA Times story on this subject. I haven't been able to read it yet.
Politicos are going to go to website for specifics, but most people would actually rather hear from the candidate themselves whether in person or on TV/youtube.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:22 PM

Either way, they didn't get any policy proposals from Buttigieg's website or announcement speech.

What comments has Buttigieg made anywhere that you consider part of a policy platform? How specific and detailed were they?

Old 04-17-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Either way, they didn't get any policy proposals from Buttigieg's website or announcement speech.

What comments has Buttigieg made anywhere that you consider part of a policy platform?
There is like a 2 hour long Townhall readily available for you to watch of him. Or maybe just ask the forum about a specific policy you want to know about ? No one can consume the 40+ townhall/meeting he has had, but some can help you piece it together.

To be clear, i agree on the "put it on your website" argument, but you seem to take that further and argue he has no beliefs, and thats just no true.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:40 PM

21,906 posts, read 9,480,467 times
Quote:

It didn't work for Hillary either. Say what you will about Trump but he has been consistent about his views from Day 1.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
It didn't work for Hillary either. Say what you will about Trump but he has been consistent about his views from Day 1.
Hillary put forth policies, the media didnt cover them. She has an hour long economic speech in Detroit that is very detailed, yet didnt get covered by the media.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:45 PM

21,906 posts, read 9,480,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Hillary put forth policies, the media didnt cover them. She has an hour long economic speech in Detroit that is very detailed, yet didnt get covered by the media.
Yeah, the media didn't cover her enough. That's why she lost. Probably because they knew she would likely stick her foot in her mouth with another deplorable or like wiping it with a cloth stupid comment. She went for MONTHS without answering any questions from the press. It because a thing to see how many days she would go. They knew from the start the more people saw of her, the worse it was for her.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:50 PM

I absolutely did not say, imply or argue "he has no beliefs". That is all your statement.

I'll move on.

I'll be reviewing town hall videos.

But a platform is what you highlight as priorities. Responses to questions are positions but not necessarily a platform of what you choose to emphasize in initiated speech or emphasize with actions to make happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections