Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 10:14 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,008,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
Thanks but I didn't need the definition. It happens all the time on this forum. I am still waiting for an Obama supporter to tell me how is actually going to "change" something without directing me to his website.
I agree that he is WAY overdue to say something substantial. Hillary would have had to concede and go home long ago. It disturbs me too that he keeps not saying anything.

But he's not a moron, or hates whites, or sneers or makes fun of anyone. And really, look at the alternatives. I like to think that of the three candidates he would attract the most positive, brightest cabinet and advisers. I think he and whoever he would surround himself with would be the most likely to correct America's image in the eyes of the world, for example. He's not part of an old corrupt regime, either, and the other two are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 10:28 AM

4,795 posts, read 12,323,426 times
I believe Obama supporters are clueless of how these gaffes and associations are hurting Obama. These are things that may not show up in what people tell pollsters but I really believe that in the privacy of the voting booth this stuff is going to be devastating to Obama in the fall among white voters. I am no Hillary fan, but Democrats better take another look at her before settling on Obama.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:35 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,798,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm not at all offended, but then I'm not bitter, nor did I accuse Obama of making negative comments about the general public (and I'm from PA, which is where he stated it)

I think that other Democratic candidate might be though.. bitter over moving to NY, to take her natural stepping stone (per their thought) into the Congress, then the next stone into the White House, never once thinking that anyone, let alone a black guy could beat her.. That would make her bitter for sure..
Considering the fact that she could have ran in 2004 but chose to add four more years of the so called "35 yrs of experience"

Old 04-14-2008, 10:36 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,812,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
Truth hurts huh!
The one who the truth hurts is Obama. The more he speaks his inner truth, the further insight he provides us as to who he really is. An out-of-touch liberal. . . .

Old 04-14-2008, 10:38 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,694,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
What is your definition of a "real Democrat?"
A person who hopes for change of course. Let's all hold hands and sing kumbaya too.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:45 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,263,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I believe Obama supporters are clueless of how these gaffes and associations are hurting Obama. These are things that may not show up in what people tell pollsters but I really believe that in the privacy of the voting booth this stuff is going to be devastating to Obama in the fall among white voters. I am no Hillary fan, but Democrats better take another look at her before settling on Obama.
he s gathering 33% white vote whilst "black" candidates like Jesse jackson only got 10%

It was always gonna be an issue. But Clinton has a much baggage

Old 04-14-2008, 10:47 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,812,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
A person who hopes for change of course. Let's all hold hands and sing kumbaya too.
If the choice comes down to Obama or McCain, it should be clear who offers the real Washington shake-up. He isn't called Maverick for nothing. . . .

Old 04-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,060,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
The one who the truth hurts is Obama. The more he speaks his inner truth, the further insight he provides us as to who he really is. An out-of-touch liberal. . . .

How is he out of touch when factories across America have been closing up shop for years. These factories employ people of small town America. No other jobs have come along the line to substitute for the factory employment. You think these unemployed people are happy? Hell I'm employed and I'm bitter b/c the rest of the nation is suffering. I wish I could do something about it.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:57 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,608,418 times
I personally think that the candidates for president should not spend all of their time focusing on the job they want, but on the job they have! I am from Illinois and our local papers printed a "How they voted" column last week. On the issues, Obama didn't vote! I did not vote for him, and do not support him, but think that I am owed a certain amount of representation in his current capacity. that is what is making me bitter!!!!

Old 04-14-2008, 10:59 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,008,427 times
Quote:
I believe Obama supporters are clueless of how these gaffes and associations are hurting Obama.
That's true, they are hurting him badly.

Quote:
These are things that may not show up in what people tell pollsters but I really believe that in the privacy of the voting booth this stuff is going to be devastating to Obama in the fall among white voters.
Yeah you right - I cant find the original AP release this blog is commmenting on, so I dont know the source, but, yes:
I read a story that came over The Associated Press news service last week saying that whites who said race was important in picking their candidate for president have been about twice as likely to back Sen. Hillary Clinton as Sen. Barack Obama.

The story went on to say that exit polls of voters in Democratic primaries also show that whites who considered the contender's race were three times more likely to say they would only be satisfied with Clinton as the nominee than if Obama were chosen.

This can't be true, I thought to myself as I read the story. This can't be true. If this is, indeed, true, perhaps we have not come as far as I thought we had when it comes to race relations in the United States over the past 50 years.

When we go in the voting booth, don't we cast our ballot for the best candidate rather than a person's race or gender? Isn't that what we base our vote upon?

The AP story went on to say the figures in the exit polls shed some light on race's effect on a competition that moves to the April 22 primary in Pennsylvania, which has a slightly greater proportion of whites than average.

The numbers, the story added, also underscore the challenge Obama could face in the general election, when whites will comprise a larger share of voters and tend to be more conservative than those participating in the Democratic primaries.
Quote:
I am no Hillary fan, but Democrats better take another look at her before settling on Obama.
Can you imagine 4 years of Hillary Clinton, though? Or more Bush & Co.?

I do think that of the three, Obama will attract the brightest and most level-headed cabinet and advisors. That's something to think about!

EDIT - concerning the long quote above - I know you're talking about Obama's mistakes and gaffes affecting the voting booth, and not race. But I think if people are dissatisfied with his public performance they'll have no problem telling pollsters that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections