Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:35 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Thank goodness that Obama has some insight as to what working class America is all about. He hasn’t insulted anyone and finally speaks for the majority of those who are just tired of what this government administration has done to the people. With little or nothing left most small town America and the middle class, Obama is right when he says that they have nothing left but the bible and their guns. It’s time someone understood middle class America and Obama is the first politician who has identified how so many feel and the problems of the middle and poor in this country.

Those that are flush with wealth and influence have little to concern themselves with other then keeping up two or three homes around the country, moving their stocks around to become more profitable with income, and the last thing they look at is where they left their bible or gun. Their too busy with planning their next vacation and time away, while middle class America is busy looking for another part time job to make the rent payment.

It’s become an election of the haves and the have nots. And when you have nothing else left in life but your bible and gun you find a connection with a politician that understands.
I could not have said it better myself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 01:18 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,980,804 times
I'm not voting for him.

City gal turned country

Old 04-16-2008, 06:36 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
He said you are bitter. At home clinging to guns and religion; having antipathy (bigoted/hostile) toward others who aren't like you. Is this really you?
I said I was bitter about the way the country is being run. I didn't catch that he was saying what you just said he said, but I have been ill, and so maybe I just misread it.

I haven't shot a gun in 15 years. The last time I shot one was to kill a rattlesnake in our wood pile. It is just that we own guns. I don't have a religion.

I am more of an agnostic with leanings towards Hinduism and Buddhism. The Bible I own is my husband's uncle and one is his grandmothers.

I am not a bigot nor do I consider myself hostile. I love people of all races and accept all religions as long as they don't harm others.

I am against jobs being taken away from Americans and being sent overseas, although I have thought how at least maybe we can clean up our environment since our factories are not polluting here anymore, and yet China's new factory emissions are coming all the way to California. So that doesn't work well.

I am against illegal immigration. I am not against Mexicans because I happen to love that country and those in it. And at one time in my life I wanted to retire there. I just think people should come here legally as my anscestors did. And I don't like how wages drop because of bringing in illegals. Nor do I like that we send jobs to India, etc.

I am not against Christians, and by clinging to their Bible, I know that Obama meant that they place their hope on it, as they should do. I admire those in the midwest, where I live, and elsewhere, that have their family and religion to fall back on, just as Obama has his religion to fall back on--cling to.

So, I do believe that it is our constitional right to own guns, and I hope that that is preserved. And I don't think that small towns are clinging to their guns, bible, antipathy, etc. I think they are correct in saying that Nafta has lost jobs for us, and that illegal immigration is wrong. I think it is wonderful that Oklahoma passed a law against immigration. And I think that we should stand up for our rights to own guns. But this doesn't make me not want to vote for Obama. I even liked Huckabee, but I didn't like all of his ideas either. I would have rather he was running for president than McCain. I used to think socialized medicine was good, and so I liked Hillary's ideas on that, but on the news last night they were talking about a 7 month wait in England for surgeries. Seems like Japan's health plan is the best. What I don't like in these candidates is when they play dirty by twisting things or making fun of the other candidate like Hillary did Obama, and recently I saw how Obama made fun of her beer drinking, and I didn't like his stooping to that level. Hillary has some good plans if she would just be nice about them and not stoop to lying about things like Bosnia. She would still be my next best bet for being the president.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 04-16-2008 at 06:52 AM..

Old 04-16-2008, 10:29 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Minor View Post
What an insult to Americans -- not just Pennsylvanians-- who live in small towns. Obama has stereotyped us as being BITTER and holding on to our guns and Bibles. Originally he didn't explain our bittterness but in his most recent CYA speech he says we are "bitter" about the economy and the war. That's cop out!

What about the statement that we are holding on to our guns and religion? YES we hold these things dear. Does Obama expect us to let them go? Give up our freedom of religion? Give up our second ammendment rights?

It is time for middle America, the Heartland, to say NO to Barack Obama.

He is clearly a candidate who has no perspective of and no respect for small town America. He is a "big City" Lawyer and "big City" Politician. He knows nothing about living in rural or small town America.

Show him and his arrogant supporters that we are REALLY BITTER by joining in the support for Hillary Clinton.

Hillary's numbers are on an upswing in PA since Obama insulted rural voters.

GO HILLARY
thank you, hillary. now shouldnt you be running your campaign instead of posting on message boards?

Old 04-16-2008, 12:34 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,508,748 times
Only an imbecil would say that guns and religion are a result of bitterness. Obama the imbecil........

Old 04-19-2008, 07:25 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,120,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones
Stereotypes are started by people with narrow minds who think the actions of a select few are representations of a large group of people.

Thank you that explains a lot!

Obama stereotyped the small town Pensylvanians as being bitter and clinging to their guns and bibles.

Just like I have said all along ....Obama is a narrow minded person who thinks the actions of a select few in small town PA are representations of all small town people from Pensylvania

Old 04-19-2008, 09:31 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,301,367 times
I live in a major city and I am bitter. I am very Bitter.
I am Bitter because the economy is horrible. A lot of my neighbors are loosing their homes/jobs. People can not afford to feed their family.

I do not think he was only referring to small rural areas. I think he was talking to Americans. All AMericans. I am bitter to see war Vets not getting the proper treatments they deserve. I am bitter because majority of Americans can not afford to get insurance for their families.

So I do understand Obama and I think his statement is 100% correct.

Most Americans are blaming those who are differnt then us such as illegals and other countries such as India,CHina for our mess up economy. We think the illegals who have control our school,hospitals,jobs.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:15 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,120,878 times
Will Obama Pay for 'Bitter' Flap? - TIME

(Obama""You go into some of these small towns in Pennsylvania, and like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them," Obama said. "And they fell through the Clinton Administration, and the Bush Administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not. And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

(Time) To many observers, the timing couldn't have been worse, with the remarks seeming to insult the very crowd Obama has been courting in Pennsylvania ahead of its key primary next Tuesday. Polls have shown that in nearly every state save for Wisconsin Clinton has won the white working-class vote, moderate swing voters sometimes called Reagan Democrats; her advantage in that demographic helped Clinton win Ohio by 10.5 percentage points. "Obama used the word 'bitter' when he should have said 'frustrated,'" said Donna Brazile, an undecided Super Delegate who ran Al Gore's presidential campaign in 2000. "Clearly Obama's comments were 'unartful,' . . . "These comments, and the larger issue of the Obama campaign's inability to connect with these working-class voters, is not a little thing. It's a big thing. And it's a big thing that is likely to end up making a big difference in November,"

Old 04-20-2008, 04:44 PM

9 posts, read 11,809 times
Barack has never implied that those that live in small towns are "rednecks". Your perception that only "rednecks" live in small towns, shows the narrow minded view that his comment was only directed at you or a particular constiuency.

Does that mean that HRC knows she appeals to the "rednecks" and she knows what to say to incite their indignation and rally their support for her? I question her genuiness.

Stop and think about it for just a minute

Old 04-20-2008, 05:34 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
I live in a major city and I am bitter. I am very Bitter.
I am Bitter because the economy is horrible. A lot of my neighbors are loosing their homes/jobs. People can not afford to feed their family.

I do not think he was only referring to small rural areas. I think he was talking to Americans. All AMericans. I am bitter to see war Vets not getting the proper treatments they deserve. I am bitter because majority of Americans can not afford to get insurance for their families.

So I do understand Obama and I think his statement is 100% correct.

Most Americans are blaming those who are differnt then us such as illegals and other countries such as India,CHina for our mess up economy. We think the illegals who have control our school,hospitals,jobs.
i am sorry that you cannot see clearly that this was a disparaging statement he made towards people unlike himself.(with the implicit subtext that he is not bitter, racist, against illegals, overly religious, gun-toting, etc.) he cannot generalize what blue collar americans think because he does not have a clue what they think. he is just another millionaire with crooked connections and who is pretending to be a populist but is, in truth, an elitist. we are not bitter but we are angry because all of our politicians seem to be crooked liars, including barack obama.

update on rezko obama connection:

Obama's Rezko Connection - Fact Checker

update on reverend wright's mansion:

Down with Middleclassness! Up with Upper Middleclassness!

One item in Obama's Trinity United Church of Christ's "Black Value System" is "Disavowal of the Pursuit of ‘Middleclassness.’"

Yet, after decades of preaching to his congregation that blacks shouldn't move from the ghetto (where, coincidentally enough, his megachurch is located), the retiring Rev. Dr. Jeremiah A. Wright, Jr. says, in effect, "So long, suckers!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections