Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 08:38 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,061,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraMoon View Post
As a lifelong Democrat and former convention delegate, I will not vote for Obama. Although I decided early-on that I would support Hillary, initially I decided that if Obama got the nomination I would support him. That was before I researched him. After researching him, I concluded that he was both unqualified and unfit. But the real clincher was his supporters. Over the past months I have seen more vile sexism coming from Obama supporters than from the GOP. I have also been subjected to daily accusations of racism simply because I prefer Hillary. The bottom line is that I will not vote to empower this woman-hating cult.
First, I do not hate Hillary and I do not love Barack. I think we are blessed with great candidates and are spoiled for choice. That said, both candidates agree on 95 percent of their issues, so calling one or the other an idiot or horrid or whatever, is an emotional reaction. The important thing is to have a Democratic administration and congress for a few years to get things moving. The pendulum will swing and we will have split govt soon enough again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 08:50 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,906,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraMoon View Post
As a lifelong Democrat and former convention delegate, I will not vote for Obama. Although I decided early-on that I would support Hillary, initially I decided that if Obama got the nomination I would support him. That was before I researched him. After researching him, I concluded that he was both unqualified and unfit. But the real clincher was his supporters. Over the past months I have seen more vile sexism coming from Obama supporters than from the GOP. I have also been subjected to daily accusations of racism simply because I prefer Hillary. The bottom line is that I will not vote to empower this woman-hating cult.
I hope that your decision is based on reality and not this forum. The people on this forum, specifically the Obama supporters that spew hate, are not even close to reality. These Obama supporters that call Hillary supporters Hillbillies, and uneducated bigots, etc.. are really the scum of society. They are not indicative of Obama supporters (I hope). I would venture to say that most Obama supporters are enthusiastic about change, and someone that they believe will bring it. You can disagree with their reasons for this enthusiasm but their enthusiasm is undeniable.

It does not bother me that you would vote Republican, I under normal circumstances would, but if you are truly a Democrat it might be a hard thing to swallow in the future. You really need to think about it.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Once again unless the working class unites behind someone who is willing to work for them. The affluent will prevail in the marketplace and will continue to secure their immediate and long term future along with that of their children. With the volunteer army it is not children of means fighting in the streets of foreign nations. Why are affluent people affluent? What do they know? How do they do things? Is it because they are thinking and doing what is in their best interest intellectually and not emotionally?
So true. That is why we will always have the haves and the havenots. Just fact.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
You will have a split govt again if you vote for McCain and nothing will get done at all. At times a split govt is advantageous, but right now, nothing is getting done when we need some movement. Vote Democrat, support Hillary's message, even if she is not the candidate.
A split government? That is enough reason for me to vote for McCain. I don't want this government doing anymore than the minimum right now. The least the better. Just keep chugging along until some real leader comes around.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:04 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,061,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
A split government? That is enough reason for me to vote for McCain. I don't want this government doing anymore than the minimum right now. The least the better. Just keep chugging along until some real leader comes around.
And the era of split govt has done so well by us in the last years? We need the shot in the arm and then we can go back to our split govt. This government is the government we choose, so choose wisely.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:06 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,016,593 times
Quote:
McCain and the tired old warhorses will keep us divided, keep the neocon types alive and keep us from growing back to the healthy leadership role in the world where we belong. McCain does not represent thoughtful conservatives. Soccersupporter, if you're a Republican who "doesn't recognize her party anymore," you might look into About Republicans for Obama | Republicans for Obama

Old 05-15-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
And the era of split govt has done so well by us in the last years? We need the shot in the arm and then we can go back to our split govt. This government is the government we choose, so choose wisely.
I have seen what split versus united government can do and I prefer split. If you can name a united government that did something positive I would be willing to reconsider. Carter years, Bush years? I just can't seem to find any. I think that Clinton with a Republican controlled congress was the best in recent history but the high tech boom might have more to do with that than the split government. Like I said, I prefer split and the checks and balances that go with it.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
McCain and the tired old warhorses will keep us divided, keep the neocon types alive and keep us from growing back to the healthy leadership role in the world where we belong. McCain does not represent thoughtful conservatives. Soccersupporter, if you're a Republican who "doesn't recognize her party anymore," you might look into About Republicans for Obama | Republicans for Obama
First of all I am a he not a she, no offense taken.

I tend to look at the candidates with little emotion and more scrutiny. Obama, although he seems like a nice enough guy, no longer passes the smell test. He also does not share my values, and when you take off the pretty facade is just another politician with a different facade. He might do an okay job as have most Presidents but I am not looking to vote for another okay President. I would rather throw away my vote for someone, say Ron Paul, as a protest vote, than be a part of voting for just another politician.

As long as we drones keep voting for the lesser of 2 evils we will get what we deserve, a mediocre government.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:34 AM

485 posts, read 1,451,557 times
Quote:
I have seen what split versus united government can do and I prefer split. If you can name a united government that did something positive I would be willing to reconsider. Carter years, Bush years? I just can't seem to find any. I think that Clinton with a Republican controlled congress was the best in recent history but the high tech boom might have more to do with that than the split government. Like I said, I prefer split and the checks and balances that go with it.
I'll vote for that myself. I'm afraid of what either party could do if they controlled both congress and presidency. I think the checks and balances written into the constitution were a good thing. I don't think there is much chance of congress not being dem. controlled, although congress has a lower approval rating than Bush.
However, the long term Democratic representative from my district has announced that he will retire at the end of this term and there is a strong probability that he will be replaced by a Republican. The only reason that the Dem held the office so long was that he is a very well liked moderate that no serious Rep candidate would run against.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:51 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,893,182 times
Ahhhh yes the status quo. A continuation of the individual success of the last eight years. Yes that does sound good to many folks. That is perhaps why John Mc asked are you better off today then eight years ago?

HAL: Summary for HALLIBURTON CO - Yahoo! Finance

Yes if you invested in Halliburton. Go Dick C go we love you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections