Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 01:27 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaRick View Post
When did Elitist become a bad thing?
Round about 1776.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 01:44 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I think that if you look up a definition for "elite" and "elitism," you will see a difference.
Kinda like race and racism.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:47 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Kinda like race and racism.
Exactly. Most "isms" are not good.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:52 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,351,207 times
Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but if I consider myself "Elite", isn't that a good thing? Don't we want a candidate who thinks they are elite? Elite is good. If they don't think they are elite, why would they run for President? I want someone one is at the top to lead. I want someone smarter, more wordly, and all around better than the average joe to be president. Isn't this the definition of elite?

As a side note, I think its safe to say that given what we know about our Founding Fathers, they would all be considered "Elitists".

Also, this post is in defense of Elitism, not Arrogance. Two different things.

Am I the only one who would take "elitist" as a compliment?

When you put it that way I would have to agree with you.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:14 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but if I consider myself "Elite", isn't that a good thing? Don't we want a candidate who thinks they are elite? Elite is good. If they don't think they are elite, why would they run for President? I want someone one is at the top to lead. I want someone smarter, more wordly, and all around better than the average joe to be president. Isn't this the definition of elite?

As a side note, I think its safe to say that given what we know about our Founding Fathers, they would all be considered "Elitists".

I agree with you. In fact here's what I said about criticisms that our leadership typically is well off:

LOL

It always gets me when folks complain about the fact that our political leaders have come from successful backgrounds.

Tell me, would you want someone running the country who has so far been unsuccessful at what they do?

How about someone who's only worked at minimum wage jobs?
That person would know what it's like to stuggle financially.
Think he/she would be someone you want making decisions for you?

How about someone who's run every business he's owned into the ground?

How about someone who can't seem to keep a job?

Or someone who never seems to get promoted?

Think those would all be good candidates to run the country?

Probably not - and yet those folks who have been successful in their lives somehow get condemned for being "out of touch" with the rest of us - even if they came from humble backgrounds and worked their way up.

Silly voters out there.
You can go ahead and try and find the biggest loser you can for you to vote for.

Me, I'd rather vote for someone who's shown he can be successful.

Ken

Old 04-17-2008, 02:50 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Round about 1776.
Elitism is built into the congress. Senators (landed gentry of the time), the Peoples House, less elite, but still so in 1776.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:22 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,524 times
Quote:

I'm 1337, but that's something diffrent.

Elitism isn't a bad thing in politics isn't really good or bad, but the lack of understanding of the middle and lower classes is.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:07 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,192,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
We have a republic government because the founding fathers were Elitists who did not want to give power to the "mob" . I think we have too much time on hands. Capitalism requires that some have and other have not. Winners and losers. Some businesses thrive, others fail. Some people have what it takes to make the big bucks, others do not. Some people are in the right place at the right time, others are not. That is capitalism.
I tell you what the founding fathers really wanted; they wanted an aristocracy to lord over the common people--citing divine right to justify their tyranny.

So the U.S. is a constitutional republic...it functions largely as a democracy, as do many other westernized nations. In these nations, we generally look down on people who think they have some greater right to rule. My belief is that 9/10 of the people who seek power aren't fit to wield it...I'd trust a common idiot before an "elite" in heart beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections