U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 11:25 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,498,388 times

Advertisements

What have been the criticisms of Paul? Why hasn't he been embraced? What in his background has repelled people away from him?

And don't give me this crap about people having flawed judgment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 11:34 PM

600 posts, read 994,601 times
Im a huge ron paul supporter.
but people dont like him because the media has told them he has no chance and no one will stand on the losing team even if its RIGHT.

no one stands up for whats right anymore. People are embarrased to support him.
Its all ludicris
and no doubt u will get hatefull remarks about how dumb you are and how you should just shut up. Thats how people really feel about free speach, its always a great thing till u bring up something they dont like and then they tell u to shut up and sit down.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:38 PM

31 posts, read 40,259 times
He's just too separatists and that can be dangerous. Look at the history of the US before both World Wars. Separatism made our entry into those wars late and thus millions of needless people died for no reason.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:39 PM

17,537 posts, read 19,707,850 times
I think people's impression of a candidate are the driving force when picking a candidate. If a candidate "complains" about the problems, people are put off by it. Ron Paul has great ideas but may be too extreme for people to accept, they like slow and gradual change as it will "soften" the impact of change. I think that people are also more attracted to other candidates who speak on their "level". When Ron Paul talks a lot of people don't really understand and so they sort of turn off their minds about him. People are willing to give up a little bit of liberty, safety, and are even willing to screw over someone else if it gets them a little bit "more". They get the sense that Ron Paul will probably do things in a way that offers them no real benefit (i.e. entitlements). Its not about flawed judgment, its about how a candidate impresses upon the people and how the candidates will give "more" to them. Ron Paul doesn't come off as a great or even fairly good public speaker, his agendas will pretty much eliminate entitlements and put when you put those two together, people will be turned off by it.

Personally, I like his ideas. He takes a blind eye in discriminating one American from another. He wants stability in the economy as well as protecting privacy of American lives. This comes at a cost, the loss of entitlements and many people aren't willing to give that up... especially when there are candidates out there promising them even more entitlements..

Old 04-19-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I think people's impression of a candidate are the driving force when picking a candidate. If a candidate "complains" about the problems, people are put off by it. Ron Paul has great ideas but may be too extreme for people to accept, they like slow and gradual change as it will "soften" the impact of change. I think that people are also more attracted to other candidates who speak on their "level". When Ron Paul talks a lot of people don't really understand and so they sort of turn off their minds about him. People are willing to give up a little bit of liberty, safety, and are even willing to screw over someone else if it gets them a little bit "more". They get the sense that Ron Paul will probably do things in a way that offers them no real benefit (i.e. entitlements). Its not about flawed judgment, its about how a candidate impresses upon the people and how the candidates will give "more" to them. Ron Paul doesn't come off as a great or even fairly good public speaker, his agendas will pretty much eliminate entitlements and put those together and people will be turned off by it.

Personally, I like his ideas. He takes a blind eye in discriminating one American from another. He wants stability in the economy as well as protecting privacy in American lives. This comes at a cost, the loss of entitlements and many people aren't willing to give that up... especially when there are candidates out there promising them even more entitlements..

^^^^ Thats a great way to sum up just a few of the reason!

Old 04-20-2008, 12:21 AM

1,545 posts, read 2,054,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
What have been the criticisms of Paul? Why hasn't he been embraced? What in his background has repelled people away from him?

Paul panders to the rightwing lunatics !! guntoting and white supremacists

CHeck out some opf his newsletters in the 80s and 90s

Old 04-20-2008, 12:23 AM

1,545 posts, read 2,054,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noyzmakr View Post
He's just too separatists and that can be dangerous. Look at the history of the US before both World Wars. Separatism made our entry into those wars late and thus millions of needless people died for no reason.
so instead of joining in JUSTwars, AMERIKKA now stars UNHOLY wars ???

Old 04-20-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat007 View Post
Paul panders to the rightwing lunatics !! guntoting and white supremacists

CHeck out some opf his newsletters in the 80s and 90s
hes an advocate of state rights and the constitution, but ^^^ is agreat example of what i was saying earlier.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:09 AM

7,730 posts, read 12,690,846 times
You can't condense our problems into a three word slogan or a bumper sticker. The issues we face have far more difficult solutions than just giving the government more power to fix all the problems they created. Paul wants people to take personal responsibility for themselves. He also wants the government to stop making people dependent on a system that can't support itself. Based on the numbers of people who are voting Democratic, I can only assume most people want more government in their lives, not less.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:40 AM

7,208 posts, read 8,365,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post

He's way too out there. Just for starters, he wants to dissolve everything from the FDA to the EPA, anti choice, anti civil rights legislation, racist newsletters, now he's going to be the Keynote Speaker at the John Birch Society's 50th Anniversary Celebration. The American people rarely embrace extremists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or