Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 04:59 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,269,524 times

Advertisements

Lawmaker stuns Colo. House by calling farmworkers 'illiterate peasants' - On Deadline - USATODAY.com

Quote:
(Video here.) And this on the floor of the State House, rather than at a semi-private fundraiser--intentionally, according to the assistant majority leader: "It was premeditated bigotry. Doug Bruce is not a stupid man. He thinks about what he's going to say." Nor did Republican Representative Bruce say that he had misspoken, as Obama did:
"I looked up 'illiterate' in the dictionary and it means somebody who is lacking in formal education or is unable to read and write. I don't think these people who are planning to come over here and pick potatoes or peaches are likely to have much of a formal education. I looked up the word 'peasant.' The word 'peasant' means a person who works in agricultural fields.
If there's ever a peasant uprising in the U.S., I know a state legislator (who I assume from his speeches lives on some kind of vast feudal estate) that might want to want to pull up the drawbridge to his castle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 09:33 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,848,625 times
He has a right to his opinion.
He has the constitutional right to free speech.
By definition most migrant/farm workers are illiterate.
By definition most migrant/farm workers are peasants.
And he is right, we don't need any more of them. I don't see what the problem is.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:35 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
He has a right to his opinion.
He has the constitutional right to free speech.
By definition most migrant/farm workers are illiterate.
By definition most migrant/farm workers are peasants.
And he is right, we don't need any more of them. I don't see what the problem is.
I agree with most of what you say. As a former federal rep working with the migrants, well over 90% are illiterate peasants.

Still, it's a pretty crass remark.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:36 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
I suspect someone may be looking for a new line of work next election time.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:42 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,858,303 times
The PC Police are going to try to destroy this fellow. I think he made these remarks intentionally. Not sure why.

When did using correct terminology, unpleasant as it might be, become an outrage?

Reminds me of the guy, a professor at a univ. I think, used the word "*****rdly" and was litterally run out of his job. Bizarre and frightening.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:46 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,092,878 times
What he said is right, how he said it is up for debate tho..

These Mexican immigrants don't come here to toil for peanuts because they have an education or any kind of future. They are trapped. And I agree that we should stop the flow of them and force Mexico to start taking care of its own people rather than continue to allow these migrants to continue to fall through the cracks of society.

Quote:
"I would like to have the opportunity to state at the microphone why I don't think we need 5,000 more illiterate peasants in Colorado," said Bruce, who represents Colorado Springs.[..]
"These people, most of them, don't speak English. Most of them haven't had any formal education, that's why they're coming over here. I don't blame them for trying, but I don't think we should pave the way for more aliens to come here."

Old 04-22-2008, 09:54 PM

377 posts, read 684,569 times
If it’s the same people I think the legislator is talking of, they may be the ones one day, God forbid, that politicians of all parties will be on there knees forced to beg them for votes. If not them at least perhaps there anchor babies!

Old 04-23-2008, 06:30 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,848,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
The PC Police are going to try to destroy this fellow. I think he made these remarks intentionally. Not sure why.

When did using correct terminology, unpleasant as it might be, become an outrage?

Reminds me of the guy, a professor at a univ. I think, used the word "*****rdly" and was litterally run out of his job. Bizarre and frightening.
Bizarre and frightening is right!

When did it become the right to free speech only when I agree/approve of what/how you said it? This PC garbage is going way too far.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:55 AM

474 posts, read 601,176 times
Now what? The first amendment does not include the truth? Illiterate means not able to read and peasant is an old term for "farmers." And it is true, we don't need more illegals and their families crossing the border who need English classes, welfare, health care, education etc. It is killing the country. In my town, we have already had three fatal accidents....the non-English speaking drivers could not read the "Wrong Way" and "Do not enter" signs. In a nearby town, a police office, directing traffic, was hit by an unlicensed, non-english speaking driver, who had only been in the country two weeks. The officer did not die, but he will never walk again. Police blotters are full of non-english speaking drivers stopped and found to be un-licensed, no car insurance, no registration but driving late model cars to the welfare office, food pantries and post office to mail money back to their country.

The lawmaker spoke the truth. That is his job. Speaking out on issues affecting his state or district is his job. Protecting his state's treasury and taxpayers is his job.

If he can't speak his mind at the podium, then we are all in trouble.

Last edited by Friendly blogger; 04-23-2008 at 07:04 AM..

Old 04-23-2008, 08:17 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Sometimes the truth hurts, and the truth here is that Colorado has a large illegal immigration problem. To pretend that these illegal immigrants are bringing anything other then social and fiscal problems to the state is absurd. Was his language harsh? Yes. Did he get this issue to the forefront by using 'inflammatory' language? Yes again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections