U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 05:25 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,320,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireKwame View Post
How sad for you that you think everything is about racism. Terribly sad.
In this case he is right because they did exit polls and the white Catholics themselves said they were racist and they voted that way. No suprise there. But Obama can still win the state if he he can hold the votes he got and peel off about 30% of the white woman vote in the general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 11:19 PM

3,255 posts, read 4,583,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
In this case he is right because they did exit polls and the white Catholics themselves said they were racist and they voted that way. No suprise there. But Obama can still win the state if he he can hold the votes he got and peel off about 30% of the white woman vote in the general.
If you are talking about white catholics in Philly or Boston, you are dealing with a certain group of people who lived through forced bussing, whose unions were affected in a large way by affirmative action. Not a reason to be racist, but at the same time, knowing people from Philly for all my life, they are unabashedly anti bussing and affirmative action. But if the choice is McCain, I think they will come home to the fold, now they still have a choice.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:40 PM

9,715 posts, read 13,318,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I agree. He was down 25% a few weeks ago and he still fought hard for the state and made up 15 points. He just could not overcome Rendell, Nutter and the Catholic racist in that state.

"Catholic racist"? What the heck is that? Someone who won't vote for someone who isn't Irish?

Old 04-24-2008, 12:11 AM

4,147 posts, read 7,237,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
"Catholic racist"? What the heck is that? Someone who won't vote for someone who isn't Irish?
That is anyone who won't vote for Obama.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:28 AM

3,255 posts, read 4,583,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Are all Catholics Irish? You see how things get started!

As I said before, I do not think it is racist, but I do think you see a backlash in surburban Philly with a memory of white flight and job losses.

I just am amazed at the fact that for all the talk of getting to know the "real" folks, the news people really do not ever find the real folks because there are all kinds of real folks out there with all kinds of life stories that make them vote the way they do. Not racist, not in love with a candidate, not an ardent fan, or a die hard supporter. Just normal perople who take their life experience and picks the candidate they are most comfortable with.

And as a fellow American, I must applaud every single person who got up and got to the polls or the caucus or sent in their absentee. They participated. YEA US.

Last edited by janeannwho; 04-24-2008 at 04:30 AM.. Reason: missing word

Old 04-24-2008, 06:59 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,562,237 times
Good Lord....
This racist thing has gone too far. You know so what if you dont' like blacks or catholics or whatever. It is a free world not to be ignorant if you choose.
Also,
I think some are too sensitive for God sakes. Get over it.
Oh the don't like me because I'm this or that. Well maybe they dont' like you because you are a big pain in the butt. I'm mean, did anyone else think of this or am I the only one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Are all Catholics Irish? You see how things get started!

As I said before, I do not think it is racist, but I do think you see a backlash in surburban Philly with a memory of white flight and job losses.

I just am amazed at the fact that for all the talk of getting to know the "real" folks, the news people really do not ever find the real folks because there are all kinds of real folks out there with all kinds of life stories that make them vote the way they do. Not racist, not in love with a candidate, not an ardent fan, or a die hard supporter. Just normal perople who take their life experience and picks the candidate they are most comfortable with.

And as a fellow American, I must applaud every single person who got up and got to the polls or the caucus or sent in their absentee. They participated. YEA US.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:06 AM

5,467 posts, read 6,903,512 times
If everytime something doesn't go Obama's way as President and his supporters pull out the race card each time, its going to be a long 4 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or