Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 10:10 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Who both? Are there two of you out there, miu?
Didn't take her meds.

Just playin' Miu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 11:06 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
Out of curiosity, is it safe to assume that you are a blue-collar, or labor kind of guy, since you support Edwards? It seems like most of those voters would go to Clinton, since apparently Clinton is now considered a populist. I am just wondering if there is a trend who Edwards' supporters now like. Not prying.
I'm not blue collar or white collar. I have 2 years of college, an AA degree, and I read alot so I guess you could consider than an informal education. I think Edwards had the best ideas, he certainly came up with real plans first, and he had alot of passion combined with intelligence and charisma. I don't know what did him (maybe the fact he never really connected his message about poverty with the middle class? The real danger out there is that the middle class is disappearing, not that there are poor people in the US, which isn't news) in but as the race showed, he did quit rather abruptly.

I lean towards Obama but I could live with a Hillary presidency. Mostly I just want the Democrats to get together in the end and beat McCain. McCain has alot to prove to me that he isn't a typical Republican, and I don't believe he'll pull it of. He'll propose the same tired tax-cutting rhetoric to get us out of this economic mess, and I just don't believe in it. At one time I did vote Republican but not anymore, not since 2002. All the tax-cutting, hands-off free-market stuff has gotten us, is more free-trade deals and a giant sucking sound of jobs going to every third-world country.

I really worry about the future of our country. As men we should be worried any time that men are forced to look around for traditionally "pink collar" jobs, which is about all that's left- if you can find one of those. For women it's not so demeaning doing "pink collar" work since you can get praise for being a good mother or wife, or leave the workforce altogether and become a housewife. For men, who's ever said a man was good who didn't have a good job and a living wage? It may not be PC but it is the truth.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:16 PM

523 posts, read 1,282,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Who both? Are there two of you out there, miu?
Go read reply #12.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
I don't know what did him (maybe the fact he never really connected his message about poverty with the middle class? The real danger out there is that the middle class is disappearing, not that there are poor people in the US, which isn't news) in but as the race showed, he did quit rather abruptly.

All the tax-cutting, hands-off free-market stuff has gotten us, is more free-trade deals and a giant sucking sound of jobs going to every third-world country.

It may not be PC but it is the truth.
John Edwards was a victim of the times. He was running at a time when the theme of the election seemed to be a woman or black guy was needed for the Democratic Party. Another white man just wouldn't cut it this year. He had no chance the minute both of them got in the race. I do wish he would have done better, or at least stayed in longer, even though I don't necasssarily agree with much of his platform. But he got virtually no air from the media, everyone was too caught up in the Clinton/Obama fight. It is kind of sad when a few people can steal the spotlight, just on the basis of who they are and how much money they have raised.

Don't be too down on the free-market just yet. In this country we have never really tried a a hands off free market. We always have had this kind of government controlled free market thing going on, which isn't true capitalism.

The truth usually isn't PC. But I think you did hit the nail on the head about men in pink-collar jobs. Just don't let a feminist hear you.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:54 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireKwame View Post
Go read reply #12.
Whew. Thanks. I was afraid that the pandemic of national schizophrenia had spread to Massachusetts.

We are relieved.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:20 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,270,145 times
Quote:

Don't be too down on the free-market just yet. In this country we have never really tried a a hands off free market. We always have had this kind of government controlled free market thing going on, which isn't true capitalism.

The truth usually isn't PC. But I think you did hit the nail on the head about men in pink-collar jobs. Just don't let a feminist hear you.
Geez with this much control of the Banking and Housing industry and the markets have fallen thru the roof !!!

Imagine what deregulation would have been like

Old 04-25-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat007 View Post
Geez with this much control of the Banking and Housing industry and the markets have fallen thru the roof !!!

Imagine what deregulation would have been like
We wouldn't be in the mess we are in now if any regulation never occured. Under a true free market capitalist society, failing banks would fail. New banks would arise. Banks wouldn't have been forced to give loans to people who couldn't afford it. Interest rates wouldn't have been kept artificially low, so people wouldn't have been capable to buy a house they couldn't afford. Without government involved in the private financial sector, people would have been forced to live within their means. We're kind of screwed now. The government should have never gotten involved in the finances of the people, or private businesses.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:59 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
white male here..i dont like any of the candidates.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:05 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,270,145 times
Quote:
We wouldn't be in the mess we are in now if any regulation never occured. Under a true free market capitalist society, failing banks would fail. New banks would arise. Banks wouldn't have been forced to give loans to people who couldn't afford it. Interest rates wouldn't have been kept artificially low, so people wouldn't have been capable to buy a house they couldn't afford. Without government involved in the private financial sector, people would have been forced to live within their means. We're kind of screwed now. The government should have never gotten involved in the finances of the people, or private businesses.
why blame the government for Greenspan keeping the interest rates down so that the rich can make quick capital gains on the sell of crackhouses to the poor who cant afford to keep up with the joneses???

Dubya's conservative team is the one responsible for letting his corporate mates rort the American people

Old 04-25-2008, 11:11 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,828 times
White male here still for Ron Paul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections