Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 01:00 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times

Advertisements

I think everyone knows my utter disdain for McCain, Obama, and Hilliary... I been bashing Hilliary a bit so I though I share the McCain hate now...

McCain proposes cuts/eliminating estates taxes... now, we all know McCain's wife has hundreds of millions of dollars and we all know McCain is getting old and closer to death. Is it a conflict of interest that McCain is fighting for ending the estate taxes because his personal estates is hundreds of millions of dollars and he is about to kick the bucket in a decade or so?

One other issue, some people have been lobbying for a change from estate tax to an inheritance tax, that is, tax on inheritors and not on the dead person. Does anyone see a problem here? Suppose the dead person died with 11 M dollars of estate... the 11 M is taxed under the estate tax laws... under the inheritance tax laws, the 11 M is NOT taxed a penny... basically, the inheritors get 2 M in inheritance tax FREE... so an 11 M divided among 6 people would be totally taxed free... anyone see the problem? You could make a shell "account" that "inherits" the money and then transfer that money to the inheritor to increase their inheritance without paying any taxes... It seems that opponents of the estate taxes should be flogged... however, there is a flip side... suppose your parents owned a business and died, that business would be taxed when transferred to you and force you to shut down your business... however, how many businesses are run by parents that their kids want to run themselves? Probably not many...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 01:13 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Para 1: lol

Para 2: no, no relation, he's told to do the tax cut thing for the base he hopes to inherit, the "haves and the have-mores"

Para 3: I like the shell account scheme ("you bloody little genius!" , otherwise no idea and no opinion.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:15 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,001,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
McCain proposes cuts/eliminating estates taxes... now, we all know McCain's wife has hundreds of millions of dollars and we all know McCain is getting old and closer to death. Is it a conflict of interest that McCain is fighting for ending the estate taxes because his personal estates is hundreds of millions of dollars and he is about to kick the bucket in a decade or so?
I guess you were not informed that he is not entitled to her money. So it throws your whole rant out the window.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
I guess you were not informed that he is not entitled to her money. So it throws your whole rant out the window.
What rant?

Old 04-20-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
It isnt a conflict of interest issue. Besides, all those guys are plenty enough rich for generations to come, on this topic they're being altruistic!

Old 04-20-2008, 02:36 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
He looks like Papa Smurf ... can't vote for anyone who looks like that.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:16 PM

600 posts, read 1,083,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
He looks like Papa Smurf ... can't vote for anyone who looks like that.
i hope thats a joke :/

Old 04-20-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanslyke View Post
i hope thats a joke :/
a little less serious and statesmanlike than we're used to seeing him - in a lighter moment in Narnia
Click image for larger version

Name:	mr-beaver-chronicles-narnia-240.jpg
Views:	11587
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	18365

Old 04-20-2008, 03:49 PM

526 posts, read 1,481,955 times
Why is the government entitled to any of it? The decedant presumably earned his money honestly, paid taxes on it as he earned it, why should the government tax it again?

Old 04-20-2008, 03:55 PM

600 posts, read 1,083,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Why is the government entitled to any of it? The decedant presumably earned his money honestly, paid taxes on it as he earned it, why should the government tax it again?
thats what i always wonder about, but everyone says im dumb when i ask. Just like i dont understand why there is property tax AND capital gains tax?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections