Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 04:47 PM

152 posts, read 335,252 times

Advertisements

Yeah, this aspect of the election bothers me quite a bit. The one thing that always disturbed me about a Hil presidency is the fact that we've had a Clinton in there before a very short time ago. Having another so fast just feels undemocratic. Can someone else get a shot at it? I know anyone can run if they qualify. But I feel like our political system is run by a bunch of insiders with connections. That's why the same people and their cronies/family members get re-elected over and over. We're manipulated into thinking that if we keep the establishment in, we have some kind of guarantee. And we as a people fall for it everytime. Hey, want those properous years of the 90s back? Vote for Hil. Concerned about national security and winning the war? McCain's your man (I omit Obama only because he is new to the national scene and the others are not). The 90s were a space in time that will never return, and Hil can't make it happen. Having McCain on board will not magically make the war go better and make us safer. Not a single guarantee comes with any of these candidates, including Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 11:43 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The democrats tried with Gore and Kerry and lost.
Al Gore won the election. It was stolen from him. For the first time in the nation's history, the Supreme Court dictated who the President would be. One of the Supreme Court Justices had relatives working on the Bush campaign at the time. If that is not complete and utter corruption I do not know what is!

I was supprtng Edwards and Kucinich, but now the only alternative to a Bush or Clinton would be Obama. John McCain is a war monger and another Bush crime family puppet and therefore not an option.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:57 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
I certainly believe it's time to break the Bush-Clinton-Clinton-Bush-Bush- pattern.

Or have we become some kind of oligarchy -- two families that pass the power between themselves?

Old 04-24-2008, 04:57 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,078,237 times
Yes I am tired.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:34 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,869,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon29 View Post
Yeah, this aspect of the election bothers me quite a bit. The one thing that always disturbed me about a Hil presidency is the fact that we've had a Clinton in there before a very short time ago. Having another so fast just feels undemocratic.
This wasn't an issue when W ran and his dad had just been Pres 8 years before that and we stupidly put him in 2 terms. People are grasping here. We are losing out on a great candidate b/c people can't get their heads out of their butts and see that she would do a better job than Obama and all b/c her last name is Clinton. Pathetic!

Old 04-24-2008, 08:14 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
This wasn't an issue when W ran and his dad had just been Pres 8 years before that and we stupidly put him in 2 terms. People are grasping here. We are losing out on a great candidate b/c people can't get their heads out of their butts and see that she would do a better job than Obama and all b/c her last name is Clinton. Pathetic!
I would have to disagree with you on that.....W was not a popular choice among the Republicans I know, and they were in fact befuddled as to how he was the man picked to run. But when push came to shove they didn't like Gore or Kerry so, they voted for W.

I think people are wising up, and are beginning to demand better and a wider pool of candidates to choose from. Not to take anything away from Obamas campaign, but I think a lot of his appeal is that he is not a Clinton or a Bush and that, being new to the political scene isn't owned by either the Bush or Clinton cronies.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:15 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
How many years has it been? We need some freshness and youth in the White House!

This is not a kingdom after all...or is it

By the way, McCain would give the White House "old man smell."
/agreed! I am very tired of it all.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:45 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Isn't it so that the people chose? There were other people running but were not chosen. So blame the once who didn't chose them.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:52 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,839,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I am wholeheartedly against political dynasties, and will be glad to never hear the names Bush or Clinton ever again. What's next? Chelsea vs Jenna 2024? I shudder to think of it.
Exactly. This is what I've been saying for a long time. We shouldn't have to be forced to elect one of two candidates from the same two families. This is a problem that Americans should be very concerned about. We need change badly. McCain, IMO, is just another Bush except his name is different. End the Bush/Clinton monopoly NOW!!!

Old 04-24-2008, 08:54 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,869,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALteacher View Post
Exactly. This is what I've been saying for a long time. We shouldn't have to be forced to elect one of two candidates from the same two families. This is a problem that Americans should be very concerned about. We need change badly. McCain, IMO, is just another Bush except his name is different. End the Bush/Clinton monopoly NOW!!!
As bentlebee said, no one forced it to come down to this. These are the 2 candidates chosen by the Democrat voters. There were many candidates when it started and these two came out on top. How does that equate to being forced to vote for them? I personally don't want to be forced to vote for either Obama or McCain but that's what will probably happen if I vote at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections