U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-23-2008, 11:53 PM
 
9,715 posts, read 13,298,503 times
Reputation: 3318

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Thank You. The democratic nominees are so left that is you really have views that line up with republican it would make no sense to vote that way.
Hillary is actually moderate, not far left. Obama is far left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-23-2008, 11:55 PM
 
9,715 posts, read 13,298,503 times
Reputation: 3318
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliprincess View Post


HRC can't be too far to the left if, let's generalize since you guys are good at it, a hardcore voter of democratic nominees is willing to "throw away his values" and vote republican...
Hillary is moderate, so is McCain. There isn't very far to "throw away values" between the two of them. Hillary is closer to McCain than Obama is.

Obama is the Uber-Liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2008, 11:56 PM
 
65 posts, read 151,148 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
McCain is a MODERATE the other two are flaming liberals Clinton being barely more moderate than Obama.
To sum up your last several posts:

1. You are lumping all republicans into one big basket, stating that they would never go "against" their values for people on the "far" left. Because of course all republicans are all the same you know.

2. The layered differences among the democratic party are such that should BHO get the nod, there are some democrats that would go "against" their values and vote for a moderate (but a republican nonetheless) as opposed to voting for the other flaming liberal.

Phew, glad you can clearly make party distinctions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2008, 11:57 PM
 
9,715 posts, read 13,298,503 times
Reputation: 3318
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
McCain is a MODERATE the other two are flaming liberals Clinton being barely more moderate than Obama.
Clinton is far more moderate than Obama EXCEPT on medical insurance for everyone where she is slightly more liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2008, 12:05 AM
 
65 posts, read 151,148 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Hillary is moderate, so is McCain. There isn't very far to "throw away values" between the two of them. Hillary is closer to McCain than Obama is.

Obama is the Uber-Liberal.
True with the who's more to the left argument, but you are the one who made the claim that a republican voting for a democrat in this election (you did not specify a candidate) would be throwing away their values period. If you use that argument, it goes both ways, regardless of the degree that each candidate sits on the political spectrum. Going McCain as a dem (especially if you are a Hillary supporter) is giving into a candidate that differs on a lot of issues that the democratic party stands for, if you tend to vote down party lines...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2008, 12:10 AM
 
Location: San Antonio North
4,147 posts, read 7,226,308 times
Reputation: 1009
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliprincess View Post
To sum up your last several posts:

1. You are lumping all republicans into one big basket, stating that they would never go "against" their values for people on the "far" left. Because of course all republicans are all the same you know.

2. The layered differences among the democratic party are such that should BHO get the nod, there are some democrats that would go "against" their values and vote for a moderate (but a republican nonetheless) as opposed to voting for the other flaming liberal.

Phew, glad you can clearly make party distinctions
If yu have rebuplican values you are willing to vote for someone that-

supports banning guns?

late late term abortions?

the biggest tax increase in history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2008, 12:20 AM
 
9,715 posts, read 13,298,503 times
Reputation: 3318
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliprincess View Post
True with the who's more to the left argument, but you are the one who made the claim that a republican voting for a democrat in this election (you did not specify a candidate) would be throwing away their values period. If you use that argument, it goes both ways, regardless of the degree that each candidate sits on the political spectrum. Going McCain as a dem (especially if you are a Hillary supporter) is giving into a candidate that differs on a lot of issues that the democratic party stands for, if you tend to vote down party lines...
I could see moderate Republicans voting for Hillary since she's a moderate Democrat. I can't see them voting for Obama.

You have to look at the voting records for all these people, not just their speeches. Obama doesn't bother to vote on a lot of things so it's hard to figure out exactly where he stands. Hillary and McCain at least take a stand so you know where they are coming from.

If you are a conservative Republican voting for Obama because you think he is conservative too -- You really need help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2008, 12:27 AM
 
65 posts, read 151,148 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
If yu have rebuplican values you are willing to vote for someone that-

supports banning guns?

late late term abortions?

the biggest tax increase in history?
I'm going to hope that was rhetorical and not directed to me...

Throw it back at you (or dems who will go McCain if their poor little candidate is not the nominee):

If you have democratic values you are willing to vote for some that-

supports the current Bush strategy on the Iraq war?

anti-abortion?

wants to continue tax cuts?

does not want UHC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2008, 12:35 AM
 
65 posts, read 151,148 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I could see moderate Republicans voting for Hillary since she's a moderate Democrat. I can't see them voting for Obama.

You have to look at the voting records for all these people, not just their speeches. Obama doesn't bother to vote on a lot of things so it's hard to figure out exactly where he stands. Hillary and McCain at least take a stand so you know where they are coming from.

If you are a conservative Republican voting for Obama because you think he is conservative too -- You really need help.
Hillary and McCain agree on more issues than Obama and McCain, I'm not arguing that moderate Republicans won't vote for Hillary.

Caliprincess is not voting for Obama because she believes he is conservative. Yet, Caliprincess does know other Republicans that will be voting for Obama (not because they think he is conservative).

Like I said though, there are some people who are anti-Hillary Repubs, but at the same time have "fallen" for the BHO talk.

It's 2:30am my time, enough for tonight...sleepy time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2008, 12:47 AM
 
Location: San Antonio North
4,147 posts, read 7,226,308 times
Reputation: 1009
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliprincess View Post
I'm going to hope that was rhetorical and not directed to me...

Throw it back at you (or dems who will go McCain if their poor little candidate is not the nominee):

If you have democratic values you are willing to vote for some that-

supports the current Bush strategy on the Iraq war?

anti-abortion?

wants to continue tax cuts?

does not want UHC?
Im conservative and voting for McCain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:16 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top