U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 10:56 PM

13,781 posts, read 23,770,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The poor Catholics. They just will not know what to do. Their choices are gonna be limited. Consider:

1. Obama. White Catholics will vote Democrat 85% of the time. Sometimes they will vote for a black candidate but only for "legislative" positions like Congressman, Senator or judge. NEVER for "executive" positions such as Mayor, Govornor or President. They just cannot bring themselves to vote for such a thing.

2, McCain. Yes the one who pals around with people that refer to Catholics as "Satan Worshippers" and other assorted scum. Somehow McCain gets away with saying "I denounce Hagee's bigotry but he is still a good friend". Works for McCain- didn't so well for Obama and Rev Wright.

So will the white Catholics vote for Obama, vote for McCain or not vote at all??
Your characterization of Catholic voting patterns appears to be unsubstantiated. His lack of support among Catholics has to do with his voting record, and will probably be magnified with the sharper contrasts McCain provides to Obama (as opposed to Clinton's contrast to Obama):

According to a study by Georgetown University's Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate, CARA, 37 percent of Catholics think of themselves as Democrats, while 28 percent think of themselves as Republicans.

Religion & Ethics NewsWeekly . COVER STORY . The Catholic Vote . October 27, 2000 | PBS

Guest Editorial: Barack Obama's Catholic Problem - Catholic Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 11:02 PM

9,715 posts, read 13,298,503 times
This white educated Catholic will vote for Hillary if she's the Democratic nominee. Otherwise, I'll vote for McCain.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:02 PM

522 posts, read 1,173,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The poor Catholics. They just will not know what to do. Their choices are gonna be limited. Consider:

1. Obama. White Catholics will vote Democrat 85% of the time. Sometimes they will vote for a black candidate but only for "legislative" positions like Congressman, Senator or judge. NEVER for "executive" positions such as Mayor, Govornor or President. They just cannot bring themselves to vote for such a thing.

??
What dark corner of the universe do you pull these numbers from!?

Ridiculous!

Old 04-23-2008, 11:10 PM

3,255 posts, read 4,579,110 times
I am a practicing Irish Catholic and I will vote for any democrat, but I prefer Obama because I am more comfortable with his vision of America. I could say why I do not like Hillary, but I won't because I will vote for her if Obama is not the nominee.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:24 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,476,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
I am a practicing Irish Catholic and I will vote for any democrat, but I prefer Obama because I am more comfortable with his vision of America. I could say why I do not like Hillary, but I won't because I will vote for her if Obama is not the nominee.
You don't care about his stance on abortion? All my Catholic friends would NEVER vote for him for this one reason.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:28 PM

3,255 posts, read 4,579,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
You don't care about his stance on abortion? All my Catholic friends would NEVER vote for him for this one reason.
The Church's position on voting is that we are to take the person in totallity, not a single issue. Since none of the candidates are promoting abortion, and since the only power they have over the situation right now is through the court, the rest of his views on human rights, diplomacy vs war, etc fit my Catholic values. The Pope was just here and made it clear that continuing this war, or making new wars was not a correct stance for a Catholic, so I am ok with his guidance.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:37 PM

522 posts, read 1,173,023 times
Quote:
Really? I posted a link on another thread which showed that (other than Hispanic Catholics) Catholics are actually over 50% in favor of a woman's right to choose.

Maybe I am thinking of all the under 40 Catholics I know, but I don't know anybody who actually votes against it.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
This is funny because I hardly know any Catholics who are anti-abortion. Where do your friends live? I'm in California.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:03 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,476,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
This is funny because I hardly know any Catholics who are anti-abortion. Where do your friends live? I'm in California.
I have 4 pretty good friends that are Catholic. One lives in NJ the other 3 in Los Angeles. The one in NJ is in her 50's, the others are in their 30's. They are very anti abortion. I thought this was a major issue for Catholics. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
I have 4 pretty good friends that are Catholic. One lives in NJ the other 3 in Los Angeles. The one in NJ is in her 50's, the others are in their 30's. They are very anti abortion. I thought this was a major issue for Catholics. Perhaps I'm wrong.
Poverty is a major issue with the Catholic church. That's why they usually support the Democrats despite the fact that Democrats are usually pro-choice. Poverty, the "anti-gun" stance, those kinds of issues.

If abortion was a major issue, the Catholic church would be supporting Republicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections