Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 09:35 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Obama calls for windfall tax on oil profits as gas prices soar - Yahoo! News (broken link)

This will effectively raise gas prices. It's not like the oil companies won't pass those increases on to the consumers. Congress doesn't have the authority to tell them how much they can charge for their product.
Oil companies can charge anything they want for gas...no one has control over them...chipmunks farting can raise the price of gas....but Obama is trying to recoup some money for us.

As he is here:

Yet Another Levin Bill To 'Stamp Out Offshore Tax Evasion By Americans']
By by Leroy Baker, Tax-News.com, New York20 February 2007[/SIZE][/SIZE]

A bipartisan trio of US lawmakers have introduced legislation into the Senate that targets the $100 billion in revenues they claim is drained from the US Treasury every year by offshore tax haven and tax shelter abuses.[/SIZE]
The 'Stop Tax Haven Abuse Act' is being backed by long-time offshore tax activists Sen. Carl Levin (D-Mich.) and Sen. Norm Coleman (R-Minn) the Chairman and senior Republican of the Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations. It is also being supported by Sen. Barack Obama, (D-Ill).
[SIZE=2]For more than four years, Levin and Coleman have led an in-depth Subcommittee investigation into offshore tax havens, abusive tax shelters, and the professionals who design, market, and implement these tax schemes. Citing experts, they have estimated that up to $70 billion in tax revenues is lost every year through individual offshore tax avoidance, and an additional $30 billion from corporate offshore tax planning initiatives. Abusive tax shelters add tens of billions of dollars more, they said.""[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 09:39 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillaryduck View Post
. Hillary wants to nuke Iran. This will not help the Oil problem.
Maybe not but it sure will help to achieve world peace. At least in the right direction anyway. Especially if a few of those bombs go a tiny bit astray?

Old 04-26-2008, 09:45 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
.but Obama is trying to recoup some money for us.
Let's be clear - Obama did not introduce this legislation. He is merely "supportive" of it.

How about you list all the other co-sponsors of this legislation. It might prove interesting to see if there are some Republicans "supportive" of it also

Old 04-26-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Let's be clear - Obama did not introduce this legislation. He is merely "supportive" of it.

How about you list all the other co-sponsors of this legislation. It might prove interesting to see if there are some Republicans "supportive" of it also
Tried reading????

I NEVER said he introduced this legislation now did I?
Try really hard not to lie.

AND if you could possibly READ my post you'd see Senator Coleman, a Republican, mentioned.

Selective reading does not make a valid argument.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:28 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Tried reading????

I NEVER said he introduced this legislation now did I?
Try really hard not to lie.

AND if you could possibly READ my post you'd see Senator Coleman, a Republican, mentioned.

Selective reading does not make a valid argument.
Thank you for making my point -

Obama is not the "be all end all" - Republicans support the legislation. Obama does not get a pass on this -

Old 04-26-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Thank you for making my point -

Obama is not the "be all end all" - Republicans support the legislation. Obama does not get a pass on this -

So you think one Republican negates two Democrats ?

I know, it's the "logical" Republican conclusion.....

Old 04-26-2008, 01:12 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,838 times
Quote:
I take it you haven't paid any taxes in the last 7 1/2 years and the war in Iraq was paid for by the ...Chinese????

I would have to say by your response you do not own a buisness or have any large investments. Someone probably takes your taxes out for you so you have no idea how taxes can affect your pocket. When I was in college I was a Dem. Then I got to the real world and started making some money and I woke up quickly. I would prefer Obama stay in Ill as I don't live there and he would not affect me as much. And raising the capital gains tax helps no one!

Old 04-26-2008, 01:31 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
Quote:
The tax man is coming, hide your money. His name is Obama.

He would tax your dog if he could. He wants more taxes and more government in your life, we do not want that!

If you want more of the failures of Jimmy Carter then you should vote for Obama because they are twins.

Only difference is one is old and a traitor and one is young and is a racist.
How old are you? 2?

Old 04-26-2008, 01:52 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,850,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Good for Obama! They are raking in billions from us and paying almost no taxes. They need to be taxed, taxed and taxed!

this is one of the most idiotic statements I have ever read.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:38 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Good for Obama! They are raking in billions from us and paying almost no taxes. They need to be taxed, taxed and taxed!
Is Ignorance really bliss? Please! The Tax Foundation - ExxonMobil's Record Profits -- And Record Taxes

Exxon Mobil alone pays more in taxes than the lower 50% of all individual tax payers combined. Facts, they are a nuisance sometimes! The one thing Libs like Obama understand is that the oil companies are a massive revenue source, they just have to keep Demonizing them so the misguided and uninformed will continue to support their larceny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections