U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 12:26 AM

8,062 posts, read 16,195,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraKGrisgby View Post
Yes, is it. You equate the thought of loud, unapologetic Afro-centric student of color as...

See how that works?

Show me where I said that.

They do it all the time. Two of my students just landed excellent internships. And they'll be working said internships with their locs and their rap CDs and looking white people dead in the eye, voice clear and strong. Kills you, doesn't it?

Sadly for you, these students of mine don't fit your idea of good Americans, making them failures outright. I wonder if you'd feel that way if they were white?

You had a point?

I'd have to see where he said that anything other than middle class is selling out. Seeing that your reading comprehension is minimal at best, you'll forgive me for not taking your word right away.
My, my, my. All of that ranting and nastiness when it was YOUR post from which I took the "definition" of Americans and how YOU said your students behave. Sorry you can't pin it on me and how you would like to portray me, someone you don't know.

Oh, but we'd better all vote for Obama or else your students will be "on and poppin'," right?! Hahahahahahaha, you go, girl. Lead the charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 12:28 AM

437 posts, read 572,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
My, my, my. All of that ranting and nastiness when it was YOUR post from which I took the "definition" of Americans and how YOU said your students behave. Sorry you can't pin it on me and how you would like to portray me, someone you don't know.
I don't need to pin it on you. Your words speak for themselves.

Quote:
Oh, but we'd better all vote for Obama or else your students will be "on and poppin'," right?! Hahahahahahaha, you go, girl. Lead the charge.
Like I said, your words speak for themselves. By the way, I don't think African-Americans say "you go girl" anymore. You might want to tighten up on your Negro slang before you try to be condescending again. Oh! Just to help. They don't say "def" or "diss" or homie" anymore, either. And only the Pan-African kids say "sista" and "brotha" so no dice there. They ARE starting to bring "dope" and "dude" back into the lexicon. Why don't you give those a try?

Old 04-29-2008, 12:37 AM

Hey, I don't know your students. You're the one who described them. If you don't like that description coming back at you, then perhaps you might want to reconsider your characterizations.

Insulting people is easy and you obviously have a knack for it. Don't thank me; thank whoever made you so bitter and taught you that insults and violence are acceptable and valued. It would be nice, though, if you would tell your students that violence isn't a legitimate reaction to life's disappointments. However, if Obama doesn't get the nod and violence erupts from African-American students at a university in Houston, at least we'll have this information to share with the police.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Hey, I don't know your students. You're the one who described them. If you don't like that description coming back at you, then perhaps you might want to reconsider your characterizations.
I'll do no such. My kids are loud and proud and unapologetic, especially towards people like you. You don't like it? Tough.

Quote:
Don't thank me; thank whoever made you so bitter and taught you that insults and violence are acceptable and valued.
That would be...nobody.

Quote:
It would be nice, though, if you would tell your students that violence isn't a legitimate reaction to life's disappointments. However, if Obama doesn't get the nod and violence erupts from African-American students at a university in Houston, at least we'll have this information to share with the police.
Right, because black students love to riot and cause trouble, especially when police can get involved. They wouldn't march and come together and write blogs and get on television or the radio or the print media. Nope.

So sad. In your mind, black students = violence, and all because they're not about to softshoe for the likes of you. And they know that. They know that even if they all press their hair and listen to The Beatles and speak in the King's English and bust their black asses for top grades and plum interships and jobs, you'll still look at them as nothing but violent looters who lack the brainpower to have their voices heard without some kind of "Do the Right Thing" scene. That's why they don't even bother. Why be your definition of a good American when they can be their definition of a good American? Your definition has them looting in the streets. We'll pass, thanks.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
My students are in a deep debate about whether Obama would serve the AA community best as their president or as their leader. Fascinating stuff. I will predict this - if the superdelegates decide to go against the will of the voters - vastly college kids and/or African-American, there will be a movement that will make the first one seem like a stroll in the park. These young kids are ready. They talk with a low intensity that I can't describe, or even follow half the time. All I can say that it's about to be "on and poppin'," like they say. I don't think they feel as if Barack has to win the whole presidency, but if he doesn't become the Democratic candidate? That's a different story. Most of them have siblings and cousins who voted in the 2000 election (quite a few from Florida A&M and Bethune-Cookman), and they're still extremely bitter and angry about the situation there. The superdelegates better play this one right or we are going to have problems. I believe that to the core of my being.
Again, YOU are the one who said there will be "problems" and that they're "bitter" and "angry." Um, writing blogs and having peaceful protests don't cause "problems." You implied a threat and now you're trying to blame others who read it as such.

Whatever. But know if you do nothing to stop something you suspect will happen and people are hurt, you will assume some liability. And I really don't care if you continue to insult me for saying so.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:26 AM

41,314 posts, read 39,545,294 times
Quote:
And if they don't? Because I'm telling you right now, that's probably not going to happen. I teach in a school that is almost completely minority, and let me tell you, they have no interest in integrating and becoming good, respectable *coughWHITEcough* Americans. They have their own cultures that don't have anything to do with ours, and they are loud and smart and unapologetic about it. Which means you're going to have to accept them as they are and respect them anyway, a thought that will probably keep you awake tonight.
You mean it's OK with you if they can't read, write, add, subtract, or formulate a proper sentence?

Quote:
"Let me tell you something," Cosby, one of America's most admired men, told the group. "Your dirty laundry gets out of school at 2:30 every day, it's cursing and calling each other [the N-word] as they're walking up and down the street. They think they're hip. They can't read. They can't write. They're laughing and giggling, and they're going nowhere."
Debate Continues as Cosby Again Criticizes Black Youths (washingtonpost.com)

He's right on the money. You are an enabler and perpetuating the cycle if YOU don't, AS A TEACHER, teach your kids these skills.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:16 AM

1,747 posts, read 3,212,065 times
My Oh My LauraKGrisgby you are so out of touch with reality. I just read through this post and you might surprise yourself to find out what a bigot you have become.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Again, YOU are the one who said there will be "problems" and that they're "bitter" and "angry." Um, writing blogs and having peaceful protests don't cause "problems." You implied a threat and now you're trying to blame others who read it as such.
Ooh, the big, scary black kids are out to get you because they're bitter and angry about the fact that their votes may not count for the second time in under a decade. How dare those uppity Negroes feel anything towards us except gratitude! Didn't we bring them out of slavery and blahblahblah affirmative action and blahblahblah welfare and blahblahblah food stamps? Blahblahblah back to Africa blahblahblah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You mean it's OK with you if they can't read, write, add, subtract, or formulate a proper sentence?
Since when have those skills been white skills, or American skills? I know this might surprise you, but there are plenty of students of color (not to mention non-Americans) who are able to do all of the above.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:10 AM
miu

17,105 posts, read 34,570,785 times
Quote:
Since when have those skills been white skills, or American skills? I know this might surprise you, but there are plenty of students of color (not to mention non-Americans) who are able to do all of the above.
What a bitter person you are! Black people in college to me has always seemed normal. Back in the 80's, I worked at an educational software company and one of our programmers was non college educated, but self taught. What a smart cool guy he was. And 28 years ago, getting out of college, it seems to me that there was a better racial attitude and less sexism than there is today. Until this election year, I felt that the blacks that I encountered integrated well enough in the NE and where I've traveled the US. In MA, I see blacks in all economic levels. As to urban culture, I see that as a multi racial phenomenon, not just blacks. There are Asian, Hispanic and even white gangs hanging on some city street corners. And there biggest problem is that their families didn't raise them to value a having a good education.

But you just want to make this a black issue. And you want to announce that black city culture is wonderful and valid. Well fine, you just encourage those kids to been their narcissistic selves so that they will be shunned by the more polite and considerate citizens. And I think that you are doing them a disservice as their teacher. If I was one of their parents, I would instead be very upset with you and pulling my child from your classes.

As to civilized behaviour being considered "white", that is a black attitude. Just study black history and what it means for a black person to be called an "uncle tom" by another black person. It's the black community that has always felt that they didn't want to act white.

So are you an ebonics supporter?

Old 04-29-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
But you just want to make this a black issue. And you want to announce that black city culture is wonderful and valid. Well fine, you just encourage those kids to been their narcissistic selves so that they will be shunned by the more polite and considerate citizens.
God forbid.

Quote:
And I think that you are doing them a disservice as their teacher. If I was one of their parents, I would instead be very upset with you and pulling my child from your classes.
Don't do me any favors.

Quote:
As to civilized behaviour being considered "white", that is a black attitude. Just study black history and what it means for a black person to be called an "uncle tom" by another black person. It's the black community that has always felt that they didn't want to act white.
Right, and no white students ever got onto other white students for being smart or wanting to go to college. Being called eggheads and nerds and geeks...must've been a figment of my imagination.

Quote:
So are you an ebonics supporter?
No more so than my students are. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or