U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 02:54 PM

7,987 posts, read 11,207,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Great post! I think the realization is finally sinking in that Obama is going to be the eventual nominee and this has prompted such lunacy in desperation posts about non-issues designed to attack him.
I too agree. Great post! This many post show that Americans are concerned about electing a president with such close ties to a racist, hate-monger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 02:54 PM

5,102 posts, read 5,968,876 times
Quote:
So..you say NBC,CBS, ABC, CNN, MSNBC, NYT, LAT, W. POST - all right-wing media. I would say YOU are the one who needs to do some research into the matter.
No, that's not what I said.

I said:

Quote:
Viacom, Disney, News Corp, Universal/GE have nothing but an inherently right wing agenda.
But the New York Times and most other print organizations also were largely PR arms for the administration leading up to the war and failed to do their jobs. In fact they failed largely after the war started as well.

Again, I suggest you do some research.

Quote:
Run by left-wing kooks. That's the point. Left-wing.
Media Matters and MoveOn are not the media. Period. Why are logic and facts so hard for you? Have you listened to Hannity and Rush for that long?

I highly doubt you know anything about who runs those organizations.

...this is where you reply with some boiler plate info on Soros, the devil himself.

I am sure comments on Scaife will be absent.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:06 PM

206 posts, read 632,029 times
OP, you have a point. While people are having discussion about this reverend many other things are going on. These thing affect us more than this minister ever will. For example:

>In PA, regular gas is about $3.60 @ WAWA (That's usually the cheapest place we can get it)
>Almost everyone knows someone who has been affected by the mortgage crisis. Whether it is someone who faces foreclosure or bankruptcy, this is a real issue. And, although many people are quick to say that's "their" issue, it affects all of us because if our neighbors houses are foreclosed upon then that drives everyone's property value down.
>There are many people without healthcare.
>My favorite bakery (Conshohocken Bakery) is locally owned & they have the best rolls around for only 30 cents each. Well last year they were paying about $10 a bag for flour, now it is as much as $45 a bag.
>There are a lot of small to mid sized businesses around here. Some of them use immigrant workers. I don't know if they are illegal or not. However, what I do know is that future laws regarding these people could have an effect on those businesses and this is discussion that needs to be had.
>The oil companies continue to have CEO that have salaries in excess of $40k- $80k per year, not to mention the billions of dollars the companies made in profit.

I could go on & on. In Detroit the job market continues to diminish, the unemployment rate continues to go up, airline after airline is filing for bankruptcy.....etc, etc....

Today, I was lucky enough to be allowed to work from home...(Trying to help save on gas and the environment) and I had CNN, FOX, MSNBC playing on low in the background (I'm one of those who needs background noise) and I swear about 80% of what was on TV the ENTIRE DAY was the comments about, from, concerning & discussing this reverend. ALL DAY that was what played over and over again. Sure there were a few quick points about some of the issues I listed above, but it was miniscule at best.

Come on people, don't let whatever & whoever distract us. We need to focus on the issues. I like coming to city data because I consider a lot of the members to be intelligent,focused and not easily distracted. Whereas, the at least 17 threads about a reverend would prove otherwise.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:21 PM

1,545 posts, read 2,055,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
So..you say NBC,CBS, ABC, CNN, MSNBC, NYT, LAT, W. POST - all right-wing media. I would say YOU are the one who needs to do some research into the matter.

Run by left-wing kooks. That's the point. Left-wing.
those are not liberal or left-wing at all. They pander to what people wanna hear, they have nothing wothwhile

Old 04-28-2008, 04:08 PM

206 posts, read 632,029 times
...correct...this sentence ">The oil companies continue to have CEO that have salaries in excess of $40k- $80k per year, not to mention the billions of dollars the companies made in profit."

...should state >The oil companies continue to have CEO that have salaries in excess of $40million- $80million per year, not to mention the billions of dollars the companies made in profit.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:42 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
You know, one of these active threads "discussing" the contrived story:

Forget policy. Nah, that's too hard. This is easy. It's fun and easy to do this.

Why concern ourselves with pesky policies? That's just for coffee drinkin' elites.

Policies don't affect Americans in anyway, but that Rev Wright profoundly impacts my life in more ways that foreign and domestic policy... in more ways than I-Rack or health insurance, big oil, the housing mess as well the current administration's antics which continue to be most incompetent and corrupt of any of our lifetimes, Nixon included.

Nope, it's much more important to have 16 active threads on a contrived non-issue - of which had been discussed more than necessary in one threads long ago and several last week.
First off - Wright was Obama's religious mentor for how many years?....20 or so...?

Many people through-out the world (not just "god d***" America") place much value on what a person has at his core beliefs.

Should Obama be given a exemption for this?

After all - we know nothing about Obama - He has no real resume for PRESIDENT of the USA. We're not talking about a secondary job here...We're talking about leader of this country - the whole country, and all the people.

If Obama practiced his religion at this man's church, and there are issues with this man and his beliefs about non-blacks (that is, 80% of the population), the rest of us would like to know what really makes Obama "tick".

You talk about issues - We voters would certainly like a clearer understanding of Obama's policies and beliefs on those issues. It is only recently that he has really started addressing these questions - He certainly does not have a long track record, considering his relatively short public background...Certainly not long enough for the job of PRESIDENT of the entire country.

He is right about all of us wanting change...A change from electing PRESIDENTS that are more PR hype than substance...And, he should expect to be scrutinized from every aspect.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:51 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,813,936 times
let Wright continue to blabber and it is becoming quite apparent how Obama does not share his views.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:39 PM

2,257 posts, read 3,515,824 times
who wants to discuss issues when we can smear a liberal. You people have no idea how to win an election

Old 04-28-2008, 05:44 PM

5,697 posts, read 5,447,767 times
Quote:
You know, one of these active threads "discussing" the contrived story:

1 OMG - Rev Wright at the Press Club
2 Ladies and Gents: Meet the politics of Race and Religion!!
3 Wright mocks American Hero John F. Kennedy
4 Troubles Erupting for Obama
5 Wright again compared to Christ
6 Wright says all black folks listen to Farrakhan
7 Obama's pastor and mentor: Believes in Balck Liberation Theology
8 Do the Wright Thing: Better now than in October
9 The tragic irony of the Wright message
10 Might Wright Run For Office?
11 Is Wright Swiftboating Obama?
12 BIGOT ALERT: Wright says white churches are the Anti-Christ
13 Jeremiah Wright ( A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing)
14 Rev. Wright's speech being replayed on CNN now
15 Wasn't rev. Wright retired according to Obama's statement....?
16 Wright's Interview Who Watched, Your Thoughts

...feel free to post here as a catch all thead to bash Wright and therefore Obama too...

Please let the continued uninformed bliss continue.

Forget policy. Nah, that's too hard. This is easy. It's fun and easy to do this.

Why concern ourselves with pesky policies? That's just for coffee drinkin' elites.

Policies don't affect Americans in anyway, but that Rev Wright profoundly impacts my life in more ways that foreign and domestic policy... in more ways than I-Rack or health insurance, big oil, the housing mess as well the current administration's antics which continue to be most incompetent and corrupt of any of our lifetimes, Nixon included.

Nope, it's much more important to have 16 active threads on a contrived non-issue - of which had been discussed more than necessary in one threads long ago and several last week.

maybe if more people bothered to be concerned with how George W Bush
had more people put to death while he was governor of Texas and saw how he disregared life that he felt worthless, like folks on death row, then maybe
they would have seen a bit of what kind of president he would make.
He showed no mercy and then when he bombed Iraq he was laughing.
So I think it is very important to look not only at issues,but also how he views others.
George Bush's ego is above everyone. That is some of the concerns I have about Obama. Also he has been listening to Wright for 20 years.
I have heard him 3 times over the last 3 days and he makes me sick.
It goes to Obama's judgement.
maybe these things are not important to you, fine. It is one of many things that is important to me.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:47 PM

4,831 posts, read 6,184,426 times
Quote:
There has been absolutely nothing stated (or written) by the Senator to create correlation that opponents are suggesting. Nothing. Period.

Sorry, but the corporate conservative media - Viacom, Disney, News Corp, Universal/GE have nothing but an inherently right wing agenda.

Though, I can't wait to see examples of what people who have been darlings of the corporate conservative media are whining now?
The reality is that there is more corporate liberal media than corporate conservative media. It is just a fact, there is no disputing it. Please list the actual media that you consider conservative. It will be much easier to see how left you really are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections