Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 02:05 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,828,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Or do you believe this from Wright;

"He's a politician. He says what he has to say"
gasp. Do you mean Obama is just a politician? A liberal, Cook county democratic politician, full of shady home deals with indicted associates; merely saying what he wants he thinks the believers want to hear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 02:13 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,838 times
"That's a show of disrespect to me. It's -- it is also, I think, an insult to what we've been trying to do in this campaign. "

I think Obama did his best to not throw Wright under the bus when things originally blew up and I think he's making the right move now really distance himself.

Is a level of this political posturing? OF COURSE.... but I believe he's sincere when he says he didn't want or expect it to come to this. I think Wright genuinely forced Obama's hand and created this spectacle, I think Wright's ego got the better of him and I think he might even have been trying to sabotage Obama on purpose.

This only strengthens my resolve to support Obama.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:22 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
Obama called Rev Wright's comments "rediculous". I think If Obama continues to strongly seperate himself from Rev Wright, he'll be fine.
Oh how? How can he explain "the rev. wasn't the man I met 20 years ago...?" Did Obama sit in church and slept all the time, how on earth can he explain all this other than being exactly how the rev. descriped Obama....being a politician and so he had to say this to save his skin and career. If he had said this months ago I would have believed him, but it is a bit too late IMO.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:25 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
I think Wright's ego got the better of him and I think he might even have been trying to sabotage Obama on purpose.
Oh no, no MIGHT needed. If you think about Wright and what he stands for, what he preaches, the answer is quite clear. Wright preaches that the US government is white rich folk who harm blacks. Wright said yesterday that if Obama is elected, Nov 5th he is "coming after him". (maybe someone can dig that exact quote out?)

To be successful, Obama must pander to whites. He cannot express and spread the teachings of his mentor. He would be unelectable. Who knows how much money Wright and the church may have given to Obama to campaign? Wright may feel as if he "made" Obama and therefore can also destroy him. Think of the power and publicity it would give him. He may have completely disagreed with Obama running for president in the first place because if successful, Obama would shatter all Wright has taught and believed in. There is a lot of credence to this recent theory IMO.

Seriously doubt this is some kind of planned ploy here..this pastor's threat is real, not orchastrated. He has been scorned, subject to public outcry and even death threats. He's not playing a political game, and he won't be reigned in.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:59 PM

5,341 posts, read 4,429,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Oh no, no MIGHT needed. If you think about Wright and what he stands for, what he preaches, the answer is quite clear. Wright preaches that the US government is white rich folk who harm blacks. Wright said yesterday that if Obama is elected, Nov 5th he is "coming after him". (maybe someone can dig that exact quote out?) Ask and ya shall receive.
"As I said to Barack Obama, if you get elected, Nov. 5 I'm coming after you..."

Amplifying sound bites from the sermons - The Boston Globe

And another for good measure.

In D.C. appearance, Jeremiah Wright remains controversial : Top of the Ticket : Los Angeles Times

Old 04-29-2008, 03:14 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
"That's a show of disrespect to me. It's -- it is also, I think, an insult to what we've been trying to do in this campaign. "

I think Obama did his best to not throw Wright under the bus when things originally blew up and I think he's making the right move now really distance himself.

Is a level of this political posturing? OF COURSE.... but I believe he's sincere when he says he didn't want or expect it to come to this. I think Wright genuinely forced Obama's hand and created this spectacle, I think Wright's ego got the better of him and I think he might even have been trying to sabotage Obama on purpose.

This only strengthens my resolve to support Obama.
I tend to agree with you though I am not an Obama supporter. Wright and Obama have been friends for all these years...I wonder how many pieces of silver it took...

Old 04-29-2008, 03:18 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
it is apparenent that Obama cares about his pastor more than his pastor does about him.

"As I said to Barack Obama, if you get elected, Nov. 5 I'm coming after you..."

this is man who obviously is jealous of where Obama is in life and is riding on his coattails.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:19 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALteacher View Post
It's important for Obama to hit this head on now. Maybe last for a day or two news cycle and then move on. Don't address him or his comments anymore, unless it's a personal attack. I wouldn't be surprised if Wright was on Hillbilly's payroll.

NEWS FLASH: Hillary Clinton introduced Obama to Rev Wright 20 years ago
and convinced him this was the right church!!
Hillary Clinton talked Obama in to making chummy with Rezco and do dirty deals
Give me a break!!
the reason Rev Wright is up Obama's butt is because OBAMA went to his church for 20 frigging years!!
Obama needs to get honest and quit blaming everyone else

Old 04-29-2008, 03:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Quiet. I'm trying to whip the Hillatrons into a frenzy.
hillatrons
i like it it sounds very star wars.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:22 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
My question is why now?

Obama knew that Wright had made those same comments about AIDS being created by the government to kill black people when he chose to stand by his pastor. Now all of a sudden Obama cuts him loose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections