U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 05:08 AM

12,646 posts, read 13,893,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomU View Post
As far as I can tell your not telling the truth.

McCain did NOT call Parsley "HIS SPIRITUAL ADVISER" like Obama did. In fact as far as I can find he never said “Advisor” he simply praised Parsley "SPIRITUAL LEADERSHIP" AFTER saying he did not agree with everything Parsley said. You know the same way many people refer to the Pope, The Dali Lama, The Ayatollah, and Pat Robertson, as "Spiritual Leaders", even if we don't agree with everything they say. OOOHHHHH how dare he say Parsley with thousands of followers and a Mega church is a “Spiritual Leader.”

Lets compare. Again

Area they know each other.
McCain. Knows Parsley in the political arena.
Obama: Associates with Wright on a regular basis both politically, spiritually and as a mentor.

Length of Time they have had a close association.
McCain 0 Hours. McCain has never had what most people would call a CLOSE association with Parsley.
Obama: 20 Years. Wright is probably one of the top 10 Closest people to Obama at various points in his life.

Hours Spent with The "Crazy person".
McCain: No evidence he spent more then a dozen or so hours around Parsley.
Obama: Thousands of Hours spent listening and being GUIDED by the words of Wright.

See the difference.

Here's McCains words from the event. NOTICE TWICE, at the beginning, AND the end, he says he does NOT support or endorse or agree with everything Pastor Hagee believes!

"When he endorses me, it does not mean that I embrace everything that he stands for and believes in. And I am very proud of Pastor John Hagee’s spiritual leadership to thousands of people. I am proud of his commitment to the independence and freedom of the state of Israel. That does not mean I support or endorse or agree with some of the things that Pastor John Hagee may have said nor positions that he may have taken on other issues."

Random
Dictionary: pride

(prīd)

n.
  1. A sense of one's own proper dignity or value; self-respect.
  2. Pleasure or satisfaction taken in an achievement, possession, or association: parental pride.
  3. Arrogant or disdainful conduct or treatment; haughtiness.
    1. A cause or source of pleasure or satisfaction; the best of a group or class: These soldiers were their country's pride.
    2. The most successful or thriving condition; prime: the pride of youth.
  4. An excessively high opinion of oneself; conceit.
  5. Mettle or spirit in horses.
  6. A company of lions. See synonyms at flock1.
  7. A flamboyant or impressive group: a pride of acrobats.
tr.v., prid·ed, prid·ing, prides. To indulge (oneself) in a feeling of pleasure or satisfaction

Pride, it appears, in and of itself, in another's accomplishments, when taken in context with the statement you provided, does seem to attach one's self to the actions of another.

While it is good to denounce the actions of one who uses verbage to cause harm to a group at the benefit of another, when and where do we draw the line and use common sense?

Common sense would dictate an understanding of two things, any person is capable of good and bad and man is free to embrace the side of man's character he wishes to see reproduced and distance himself from the other.

And second, what does the endorsement of controversial person's have to do with the broader issues confronting the Nation so long as the leader does not show controversial figures undue favor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 06:10 AM

34,588 posts, read 33,575,550 times
I think the media, has this Wright thing all wrong. Wright is getting his 15 minutes of fame right now using the same black victimizing tactics as Al Sharpton. As Rush Limbaugh says (not his words exactly), he's vested in Obama losing. If Obama wins, then how can you make your black victimization case if the highest office in the land is held by a black man? Wright will only be able to keep himself in the spotlight if Obama loses. Then he can say, "See I was right, the white man is trying to keep us down." So in effect, he's all over the place now trying to ensure that Obama loses. If Obama loses, Wright will be famous (and richer) longer. Wright is throwing Obama under the bus to ensure his own future.

Now as far as Mr. Arugula goes, he's just a black John Kerry with better communication skills and without the windsurfing photos as proof. He joins Wright's church to get black street cred with his political future in mind but he's more Little Lord Fauntleroy than 50 Cent. I'd be waaaaay more concerned about his Bernadine Dohrn/Bill Ayers connection because Obama isn't going to govern like Al Sharpton or Louis Farakkahn if he becomes president, he's going to govern more like Jacques Chirac.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:20 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,847,128 times
What Ayers connection, that they lived in the same neighborhood and he visited his house once, and served on a board with him? Lots of odd people live in my neighborhood, I've visited some homes of some suspect people, and probably volunteered with some people that with objectionable pasts as well. Sorry, this whole 'Ayers' connection has got to be the biggest pile of BS I've heard heard.

I can see how my attempt to go to into politics would go now.

"Oh my God, she worked with a member of NOI for a year and didn't denounce her" (we temped together at a bank, she was lovely to work with and we mainly talked about how much we hated the fax machine, her children, my sister's children, the absurdity of banking, and what was for lunch)

"She has a connection to the Black Panthers" (my mother, a white woman, had a friend in the black panther movement in the sixties)

"She's attended a radical black church" (my friend took me to visit her church, a black church, as a child)

"she hung out with radicals" (I went to a majority black HS and had a friend who had dreadlocks and wore Malcolm X t-shirts and was into that sort of thing, yet still sat at my lunch table)

But you know what? I'm a white woman, so you probably wouldn't say those things about me. The racism of this board disgusts me.

If the opinions expressed here are any reflection of the US as a whole, then it may be over for Obama, for all the wrong reasons. And he would then be sadly right, we do not live in a society that looks past race. If Obama loses this race, then he should lose on his own merit (or lack thereof), but if he loses this contest based on petty race baiting, then you will have a whole new generation of 'angry bitter people'. And no, I'm not talking about black people either before some of you, you know who you are, go off in some sort of "oh, scary black men want to hurt" me frenzy.

Perhaps I need more coffee, but the reaction of the media to this fiasco is making me ill.

Last edited by j33; 04-30-2008 at 06:38 AM..

Old 04-30-2008, 06:49 AM

692 posts, read 1,567,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Once again, that is not McCain's pastor.
Not his pastor but he wanted Hagee's backing. I posted this on another thread but it applies.

John McCain wanted Hagee's and Parsley's endorsement. He sought their endorsements. He courted Hagee and Parsley to get their endorsement. They didn't endorse him out of the blue.

I am more concerned with McCain's ties to a white supremacist named Richard Quinn. Quinn was a political advisor to McCain in 2000 and is still associates with him today.

People For the American Way - Letter from Ralph G. Neas to Senator John Mccain about Richard M. Quinn

Cliff Schecter: John McCain's White Supremacist Problem - Politics on The Huffington Post

Old 04-30-2008, 07:04 AM

1,613 posts, read 2,373,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
What Ayers connection, that they lived in the same neighborhood and he visited his house once, and served on a board with him? Lots of odd people live in my neighborhood, I've visited some homes of some suspect people, and probably volunteered with some people that with objectionable pasts as well. Sorry, this whole 'Ayers' connection has got to be the biggest pile of BS I've heard heard.

"Oh my God, she worked with a member of NOI for a year and didn't denounce her" (we temped together at a bank, she was lovely to work with and we mainly talked about how much we hated the fax machine, her children, my sister's children, the absurdity of banking, and what was for lunch)

"She has a connection to the Black Panthers" (my mother, a white woman, had a friend in the black panther movement in the sixties)

"She's attended a radical black church" (my friend took me to visit her church, a black church, as a child)

"she hung out with radicals" (I went to a majority black HS and had a friend who had dreadlocks and wore Malcolm X t-shirts and was into that sort of thing, yet still sat at my lunch table)

But you know what? I'm a white woman, so you probably wouldn't say those things about me. The racism of this board disgusts me.

If the opinions expressed here are any reflection of the US as a whole, then it may be over for Obama, for all the wrong reasons. And he would then be sadly right, we do not live in a society that looks past race. If Obama loses this race, then he should lose on his own merit (or lack thereof), but if he loses this contest based on petty race baiting, then you will have a whole new generation of 'angry bitter people'. And no, I'm not talking about black people either before some of you, you know who you are, go off in some sort of "oh, scary black men want to hurt" me frenzy.

Perhaps I need more coffee, but the reaction of the media to this fiasco is making me ill.
Excellent Post!

I agree also with the media playing a big hand. While watching CNN last night, when they were talking about Rev Wright & Obama, the announcement for their story had a background of a stained glass window but it was just in black & white...I thought that was so dumb, it suggested this whole thing was a racial issue.

Also, I was glad with what Charlie Rangel(sp) from NY said...he is a Clinton supporter but when asked about the Wright "controversy" stated that the media should not get into personal relationships with candidates religous backgrounds. He also said that he was glad Clinton was not getting into the middle of it (I hope he's right about that) I think the CNN reporter was expecting him to say something different.

Thn right after this they had a poll on wether or not this effected Obama negatively...I believe at that time the numbers were 56% no & 44% yes.

The media for sure tries to play us all for fools!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:07 AM

2,665 posts, read 3,407,525 times
One of the key indicators of a man is; who are his friends? Who does he hang with?
Obama's list include guys like Rezko, Wright and yes, Ayers. When you visit the home of an unrepentant terrorist you make a statement. A terrorist who stated after 9/11 that he was, "sorry he didn't do more [bombings]" and killed more innocent people. All this said while Obama still continued to work with him on the board of the Woods Foundation.

Obama bus won't be able to cover all the bodies he's going to toss under it.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:19 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,847,128 times
LNTT - so I suppose that Obama should have moved to a farm all by himself and not speak to anyone least any of his neighbors be objectionable.

I'll forgive you your ignorance of the demographics of Chicago's wealthy and poor south-side and south suburbs, but you cannot throw a rock down there without coming up with someone whose past you might not like. To refuse to speak with or work in cooperation with anyone, ever, with whom you disagree would make you a very lonely person. If you live and work there, you have to work with interesting people to get stuff done, people you might not like. And before you continue to cluck on and on about the board of the Woods Foundation, you should look into it, it included a lot of people across political spectrum.

Yes, Ayers is a problem, but most people seem to forget that for the past many years he's been a professor and is widely published and active in the area of inner-city education, which explains why he is presence on boards and in areas of education, which any community organizer worth his salt has an interest in. It isn't as if Ayers has spent the past 30 years building bombs in his basement and Obama called him up and said 'lets hang out'.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:24 AM

25,779 posts, read 38,992,690 times
Quote:

Are you running for president? I guess no is the answer.
Do you want a president who is related to terrorists? No I guess no one does, execpt for a terrorist!

Old 04-30-2008, 08:15 AM

2,665 posts, read 3,407,525 times
Quote:
LNTT - so I suppose that Obama should have moved to a farm all by himself and not speak to anyone least any of his neighbors be objectionable.

I'll forgive you your ignorance of the demographics of Chicago's wealthy and poor south-side and south suburbs, but you cannot throw a rock down there without coming up with someone whose past you might not like. To refuse to speak with or work in cooperation with anyone, ever, with whom you disagree would make you a very lonely person. If you live and work there, you have to work with interesting people to get stuff done, people you might not like. And before you continue to cluck on and on about the board of the Woods Foundation, you should look into it, it included a lot of people across political spectrum.

Yes, Ayers is a problem, but most people seem to forget that for the past many years he's been a professor and is widely published and active in the area of inner-city education, which explains why he is presence on boards and in areas of education, which any community organizer worth his salt has an interest in. It isn't as if Ayers has spent the past 30 years building bombs in his basement and Obama called him up and said 'lets hang out'.
Everyone has some skeleton in the closet but Obama's just keep coming. I can take one Ayers or one Rezko; perhaps even a Wright. But Obama's got them all and we've got months to go yet! He's been pushing this aura of being above all this stuff while every day, as each new issue arises, he's looking more and more like a Cook County, Illinois democrat party politician. And a one filled with a degree of racial hatred. We're talking about a guy a step away from the next POTUS; not just a reelection campaign for the Senate.

Is there room under that bus for the entire county's dem machine?

Old 04-30-2008, 08:28 AM

4,831 posts, read 6,177,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
Excellent Post!

I agree also with the media playing a big hand. While watching CNN last night, when they were talking about Rev Wright & Obama, the announcement for their story had a background of a stained glass window but it was just in black & white...I thought that was so dumb, it suggested this whole thing was a racial issue.

Also, I was glad with what Charlie Rangel(sp) from NY said...he is a Clinton supporter but when asked about the Wright "controversy" stated that the media should not get into personal relationships with candidates religous backgrounds. He also said that he was glad Clinton was not getting into the middle of it (I hope he's right about that) I think the CNN reporter was expecting him to say something different.

Thn right after this they had a poll on wether or not this effected Obama negatively...I believe at that time the numbers were 56% no & 44% yes.

The media for sure tries to play us all for fools!
Either you people on this thread are so young you have never witnessed an election cycle or just selectively blind when it comes down to your favorites. This is politics, good or bad. This is the way it is done, has always been done and unfortunately will most likely always be done. When you get a little older you will realize that it is all about power and the corruption it brings when talking politics.

One more thing, the media is just one big ***** waiting for the next story to break. Media and politics, what a great combination!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or