U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 07:59 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,515,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
I am not trying to offend Democrats but this primary has created more divisiveness that anything the Republicans have done in the last 7 years. If this keeps up I can't imagine what the next term will be like no matter who is elected. And this from the party with the biggest tent (allegedly).
I'm beginning to agree with you. Between the two of them, Obama and Hillary have set blacks and women so far back it's like neither group ever made any advances!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 08:01 AM

7,208 posts, read 8,363,794 times
Quote:
Keith Oberman was a horrific sportscaster and an even more horrific commentator. I can't even find him funny or entertaining. He is at his best when someone else is with him or it is a panel situation. That is when he speaks the least and has some intelligence beside him to counter his absolute stupidity. JMHO
First off, it's Olbermann not "Oberman." Misspelling his name like that leads one to believe that you very rarely watch his program so your opinion of it is suspect.

Secondly, a slur against any minority group does not belong in American politics. I still have yet to hear the Clinton campaign distance itself from Easley's insult. Perhaps we are seeing how little regard she actually has for the gay community.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:07 AM

4,831 posts, read 6,177,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
I'm beginning to agree with you. Between the two of them, Obama and Hillary have set blacks and women so far back it's like neither group ever made any advances!
I am going to be completely honest here. I am for the most part conservative. I am more moderate when it comes to social issues like taking care of widows, poor, elderly. It comes from my Christian upbringing I guess. I am very disillusioned with both parties and pretty much all politicians. With the exception of JC Watts, whom has since left politics and a few others I have very little respect for our so-called public servants. That being said when Obama first surfaced I was excited to see someone that was different that the usual DC crowd. I am not saying I could have voted for him but he was a breath of fresh air. Needless to say he was vetted and the real Obama has surfaced. Once again voting will require one had to pull the lever and one to hold the nose. I am getting so tired of this. So disheartening!

Old 04-30-2008, 08:15 AM

4,831 posts, read 6,177,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
First off, it's Olbermann not "Oberman." Misspelling his name like that leads one to believe that you very rarely watch his program so your opinion of it is suspect.

Secondly, a slur against any minority group does not belong in American politics. I still have yet to hear the Clinton campaign distance itself from Easley's insult. Perhaps we are seeing how little regard she actually has for the gay community.
I do watch him but really don't care how I spell his name, not important to me. And yes I am old enough to have watched him when he was a miserable sportscaster so I know him well as a TV personality.

Secondly I am old enough to know that pansy does not mean homosexual. If the gay community has made it so, then that is there problem not mine. Like others have said, pansy has always meant whimp, coward, etc.. When I was growing up it was used mainly among friends when giving each other a bad time.

I have never in my like heard anyone claim it referred to a gay person. I grew up in SoCal where I am sure if it meant that we would know. You political correctness police need to get a life.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:22 AM

7,208 posts, read 8,363,794 times
Quote:
I do watch him but really don't care how I spell his name, not important to me. And yes I am old enough to have watched him when he was a miserable sportscaster so I know him well as a TV personality.

Secondly I am old enough to know that pansy does not mean homosexual. If the gay community has made it so, then that is there problem not mine. Like others have said, pansy has always meant whimp, coward, etc.. When I was growing up it was used mainly among friends when giving each other a bad time.

I have never in my like heard anyone claim it referred to a gay person. I grew up in SoCal where I am sure if it meant that we would know. You political correctness police need to get a life.
I grew up in No. Cal and I'm well aware what it means. From Merriam- Webster:

2 usually disparaging : a weak or effeminate man or boy
usually disparaging
: a male homosexual

It's, quite obviously, an insult.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:42 AM

2,665 posts, read 3,407,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
I grew up in No. Cal and I'm well aware what it means. From Merriam- Webster:

2 usually disparaging : a weak or effeminate man or boy
usually disparaging : a male homosexual

It's, quite obviously, an insult.
To whom? Rocky Balboa?

Yo Hillary, we did it! One thing for sure, Obama's spent so much time ducking Hillary that he'll never be confused with Apollo Creed.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:47 AM

7,730 posts, read 12,688,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Are you from the South? Cause here in NC, the word "pansy" does not necessarily equate to "gay." It just means a weakling - someone ineffective and wimpy. If the Gov had said - "wimp" - it would have meant the same thing. Yeah, maybe he should not have said "pansy" if that words means "gay" to the rest of you, but to us in NC, if we want to say GAY, we say GAY.

So people - don't get your panties in a wad. Or jockies. Whatever.
*****s. That's the word I hear a lot. I just don't bother responding to them. Yeah, I'm *****. I'm also happy, gay, and a bit of a pansy around spiders.

q u e e r is blocked? Now that's just *****.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:59 AM

270 posts, read 485,417 times
Well, as a homosexual, I am not offended by that remark. That is 100% silly to be offended by. It seems like some are grasping to make people feel it is offensive. For the most part I really don't think people know or realize what they are saying until it is over. (when it comes down to sexist remarks) Now if he had demonstrated hatred before it would be one thing and I think he would have chosen better words to do it. Most of what people have to say does not upset me. I figure that they are misinformed or just plain ignorant.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:00 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,515,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
*****s. That's the word I hear a lot. I just don't bother responding to them. Yeah, I'm *****. I'm also happy, gay, and a bit of a pansy around spiders.

q u e e r is blocked? Now that's just *****.
I'm with you too on this. NC people don't use the word to mean homosexual. It has always been used to describe any person who is acting wimpy or whiny. There are way worse words I hear for gays around here and the worst starts with an f. I have a couple of good friends who are lesbians so I don't use any of those deragatory words but I honestly don't think Easley meant it this way. But at the same time, I gave Obama heck about his bitter comment, so bring it on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or