U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 08:30 PM

1,545 posts, read 2,057,613 times

Advertisements

MoveOn.org Asks McCain To Drop Pastor Who Blamed Victims For Katrina

Quote:
By Sarah Lai Stirland Election '08

The liberal activist group MoveOn.org on Thursday planned to use the internet and media coverage to cement the idea in voters' minds that Arizona Republican senator John McCain is associated with the bizarre and extreme views of an evangelical pastor named John Hagee.

Quote:
Q: What is your reaction (to Hagee Katrina comments)?
McCain: It’s nonsense.
Q: Would you withdraw accepting his endorsement?
McCain: It’s nonsense, it’s nonsense, it’s nonsense. It’s nonsense. I don’t have anything additional to say about that. It’s nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 10:53 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,273,516 times
Moveon. org, that tells you something right there.

Left wing freak club that is worse then the ACLU.

Who cares what they think, only the left wing nutjobs follow those bunch of anti American hacks.

I denounce that McCain denounces anything because some of it his right to say what he wants, its called freedom of speech, something the left wing nuts and moveover.org seems to want to get rid of.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:59 PM

15,009 posts, read 31,391,658 times
This is ridiculous. As much as you Obama supporters want it to, the Hagee endorsement is not going to equal the Rev Wright fiasco. Hagee has never been McCain's pastor. As a gay man I don't even like John Hagee, but it will have no impact on me voting for McCain.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:14 PM

307 posts, read 467,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat007 View Post
Q: What is your reaction (to Hagee Katrina comments)?
McCain: It’s nonsense.
Q: Would you withdraw accepting his endorsement?
McCain: It’s nonsense, it’s nonsense, it’s nonsense. It’s nonsense. I don’t have anything additional to say about that. It’s nonsense.
You left out the rest where he says "I certainly condemn those parts of his remarks. I continue to appreciate his support for the state of Israel and for many of the good things that he and his church has done. But I repudiate as strongly as possible those remarks and those of the Catholic church as well."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rest of McCains statement that Expat007 left off.

Q: Do you regret accepting his endorsement?

A: It’s nonsense. I don’t have anything more to say about that. Of course–I apologize for that. It’s nonsense. I reject that categorically and I would point out there’s a lot of people who have endorsed me. They support my views. That does not mean that I support–would I consider repudiating his endorsement? I certainly condemn those parts of his remarks. I continue to appreciate his support for the state of Israel and for many of the good things that he and his church has done. But I repudiate as strongly as possible those remarks and those of the Catholic church as well.

Q: You and your Democratic opponents spend a certain amount of time commenting on surrogates and endorsers, on what they said. Do you think that is in any way interfering with how you’re trying to conduct your campaign?

A: …I didn’t attend Pastor Hagee’s church for 20 years. There’s a great deal of difference in my view between someone who endorses you and other circumstances.

You are trying to compare Obama/Wright to McCain/Hagee. It is a false comparison.

Candidates accept thousands of endorsements during their campaigns. That does not mean they agree with EVERY statement EVERY endorser has ever made. MCCain had never even met Hagee until this year and has never attended Hagee’s church. The MOST it says is that in McCains POLITICAL life he has associated with this person. There is NO reason to even think that Hagee has had ANY influence on McCains values or beliefs.

Obama did not just associate with Wright on a political basis. He associated with him on a PERSONAL and SPIRITUAL BASIS for TWENTY YEARS. He spent 20 years in the reverends church. He was married by the man. His two children on two separate occasions were baptized by Wright. He sought him out for spiritual advise. He said the man influenced his life. He wrote a book titled after one of Wrights sermons.

There is a HUGE difference between accepting one of thousands of political endorsements from a person who makes crazy statements, and having a man who makes crazy statements as a friend , SPIRITUAL MENTOR and advisor.

If you feel that someone rubbing elbows a few times in the game of politics with a Crazy man is bad judgement, then having the same sort of person as your friend, Spiritual Advisor, and mentor for TWENTY YEARS is outright proof of INSANITY.

LETS COMPARE AGAIN

Area they know each other.
McCain. Knows Hagee in the political arena.
Obama: Associates with Wright on a regular basis both politically, spiritually and as a mentor.

Length of Time they have had a close association.
McCain 0 Hours. McCain has never had what most people would call a CLOSE association with Hagee.
Obama: 20 Years. Wright is probably one of the top 10 Closest people to Obama at various points in his life.

Hours Spent with The "Crazy person".
McCain: No evidence he spent more then a dozen or so hours around Hagee.
Obama: Thousands of Hours spent listening and being GUIDED by the words of Wright.

Random

Old 04-30-2008, 12:21 AM

so we wont hear of farrakhan and hamas any more ?? ahahah

the rednecks are up in arms coz they are caught in lies and hypocrisy and
racism

Old 04-30-2008, 01:28 AM

307 posts, read 467,492 times
Default Could you stick to the topic of this thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat007 View Post
so we wont hear of farrakhan and hamas any more ?? ahahah

the rednecks are up in arms coz they are caught in lies and hypocrisy and
racism
No one has mentioned "farrakhan and hamas" in this thread.

Your the one who brought up McCain Obama. Here's the comparison again.
Do you see Farrakhan or Hamas mentioned in it? I believe I have stuck to the topic you started. For some reason you seem to want to deviate.

Area they know each other.
McCain. Knows Hagee in the political arena.
Obama: Associates with Wright on a regular basis both politically, spiritually and as a mentor.

Length of Time they have had a close association.
McCain 0 Hours. McCain has never had what most people would call a CLOSE association with Hagee.
Obama: 20 Years. Wright is probably one of the top 10 Closest people to Obama at various points in his life.

Hours Spent with The "Crazy person".
McCain: No evidence he spent more then a dozen or so hours around Hagee.
Obama: Thousands of Hours spent listening and being GUIDED by the words of Wright.

Random

Old 04-30-2008, 01:45 AM

LOL YOU seem to lock into single subjects to make a case. Your limited vision embarasses you.

you introduced it

Quote:
Candidates accept thousands of endorsements during their campaigns. That does not mean they agree with EVERY statement EVERY endorser has ever made.
And like Obama i will play this game on my terms: hypocrisy, lies, racism, idiocy

1. You say McCain cant control his endorsers?? Neither does
Obama. ie Farakhan and Hamas, BUT McCain actively sought the endorsement of Hagee to tape into his supporter bases and teachings of his ideology (Hagee's)

2. Wright and OBAMA will now be seen as NOT as CLOSE as you think, or why Wright would do this to OBAMA
Whether or not Obama heard Wright's rant, dismissed it as "you gotta be kidding" moment, and praised Wright for the good work he s done as McCain did for Hagee

Come back when you got a decent reply, am getting bored with repeats

Last edited by expat007; 04-30-2008 at 02:01 AM..

Old 04-30-2008, 02:27 AM

Accusations of anti-Catholicism

Catholic League for Civil and Religious Rights president William Donohue issued the following remarks regarding Senator John McCain’s ties to Hagee:
Now that he has secured the Republican nomination for president, and has received the endorsement of President Bush, McCain will now embark on a series of fundraising events.
When he meets with Catholics, he is going to be asked about his ties to Hagee. He should also be asked whether he approves of comments like this: "A Godless theology of hate that no one dared try to stop for a thousand years produced a harvest of hate."
That quote is proudly cited by David Brog in his recent book, Standing with Israel. Both Brog and Hagee clearly identify the Roman Catholic Church as spawning a "theology of hate."
This is nothing if not hate speech. There are so many good evangelical leaders in this country—Dr. James Dobson, Dr. Richard Land, Tony Perkins, Gary Bauer, Dr. Al Mohler, Chuck Colson—and none has ever insulted Catholicism.[34]
The "Godless theology" quotation is taken from Hagee's 1987 work Should Christians Support Israel? (p. 4)[35]
Quote:
September 11th attacks

After the September 11, 2001 attacks, Falwell said on The 700 Club, "I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen.'" Fellow evangelist Pat Robertson concurred with his sentiment. After heavy criticism, Falwell apologized,[30] though he later said that he stood by his statement, stating "If we decide to change all the rules on which this Judeo-Christian nation was built, we cannot expect the Lord to put his shield of protection around us as he has in the past."[31]

Old 04-30-2008, 05:27 AM

8,287 posts, read 11,836,190 times
expat Hagee, Robertson and Falwell are all white so preaching the Gospel and hate is ok but Lord have mercy if a black man does it! Notice the hypocrisy? By the way I could care less about preachers black or white.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:34 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,360,717 times
Although I am a Democrat, I give McCain credit for running a shrewd campaign so far. I will say he is 10000 times more intelligent than bush, though Im not sure how much praise that really is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or