U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:45 AM

28,215 posts, read 47,628,039 times

Advertisements

Has Barack Obama finally put what has perhaps become the biggest threat to his campaign -- the Rev. Jeremiah Wright -- behind him?

ABC News: Denouncing Pastor Enough for Obama?

Old 04-30-2008, 09:51 AM

654 posts, read 1,101,059 times
NO.

This will wind up ruining him. It probably won't make a difference in his hometown of Chicago, but on the national level this kind of scandal will be the end of him.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:51 AM

1,545 posts, read 2,057,878 times
good move axelrod

Old 04-30-2008, 09:53 AM

270 posts, read 486,135 times
There are several Black and White pastors, preachers, religious people who support Reverend Wright and have come out against Obama. There are several who have defended him too. I don't really think that it will hurt him much because many of the blacks that support him do so because of race. (Now not all and I know it should not be about race but the facts are the facts. Just as some people do not support Obama because he is Black) It is plain unfortunate that we cannot get over racism, if it be blacks racism against whites, or whites racism against blacks. We should vote for who we think would be best for our country as a whole. Unfortunately that is not completely true in this race. If it were Clinton would get more black votes and Obama would get more white votes. Clinton would get more male votes and Obama would get more female votes. It is what it is though and we may as well face it.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
"I thought it took a lot of courage for a man to have to say some unequivocal statements against someone that has been dear to him, his pastor," the Rev. Al Sharpton told ABC News. "And to say it, knowing that he's going to take a lot of flak from certain elements and certain portions of his base political constituency."
And to answer the criticism that Blacks like Sharpton are tyring to take Obama down

Old 04-30-2008, 10:50 AM

3,568 posts, read 3,279,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat007 View Post
And to answer the criticism that Blacks like Sharpton are tyring to take Obama down
The only courage Obama displayed in finally jumping off the Wright sinking ship is the courage to recognize that he could no longer have it both ways. He couldn't establish his black bona fides by clinging to the most radical black separatist elements of his black constituency while at the same time try to broaden his appeal to white voters. He either made a choice or the choice would be made for him. That's called political desperation, not courage.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:03 AM

29,782 posts, read 34,880,403 times
Quote:
Yes you are unfortunately correct. White America may be about to lose another good friend. Colin Powell is gone. Condi Rice may or may not be gone. Wouldn't it be a hoot if McCain chose her as his running mate. If she leaves the landscape and Obama loses and decides he has had it with trying to move us forward then America will be back to Sharpton and Jackson etc. If Obama wins then Black America will wake up in more ways then one and be ready to move forward in concert with others. That is the greatest threat to Sharpton and Jackson.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:09 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,522,880 times
While I'm no Obama fan, it's actually quite sad to see that his mentor, friend, and man who led him to Christ, has thrown him under the bus and is, in effect, running over him repeatedly. It's hard to tell what will sway people but it does make it appear that he can't handle relationships well or the pressure that having your life on display brings. Sometimes I wonder if the majority of black people want to move forward or if they relish the victim status they have b/c it gives them an excuse if they are unable or unwilling to work to change their circumstances. This doesn't look too good when you think about it in those terms.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
While I'm no Obama fan, it's actually quite sad to see that his mentor, friend, and man who led him to Christ, has thrown him under the bus and is, in effect, running over him repeatedly. It's hard to tell what will sway people but it does make it appear that he can't handle relationships well or the pressure that having your life on display brings. Sometimes I wonder if the majority of black people want to move forward or if they relish the victim status they have b/c it gives them an excuse if they are unable or unwilling to work to change their circumstances. This doesn't look too good when you think about it in those terms.
You dealt out the race card so I will play it

What a racist comment; Obama is working pretty hard to unite all colors. Will he succeed as president?? Maybe this experience will stand him in good stead, we cant go back to the other two closeted rednecks

Old 04-30-2008, 11:20 AM

29,782 posts, read 34,880,403 times
Quote:
You dealt out the race card so I will play it

What a racist comment; Obama is working pretty hard to unite all colors. Will he succeed as president?? Maybe this experience will stand him in good stead, we cant go back to the other two closeted rednecks
Unfortunately many African Would prefer to have someone to blame. However that feeling runs in many Americans who are not successful and unable to look in the mirror. I am successful because of me and I am unsuccessful because of you. Why should we be surprised that people feel that way? They learn it in school. When kids succeed I am a great teacher give me more money. When kids fail it is the fault of the parents so give me more money for having to put up with them. True or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or