Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 06:49 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
I simply cannot understand why, in light of the downfall of the country under Bush's leadership; somone would vote for McCain. Now, I certainly understand and respect individuals right to vote for whomever they choose. But, for the life of me; I just cannot understand why anyone would vote for a man who vowed to continue this country on it's current course...downhill.

Can someone please explain the thinking of such supporters of this McCain, because logically, it just doesn't make sense.
I haven't read through all the responses, but here is my reasoning.

The US is in at least relative decline simply because other countries in the world, notably China and Brazil, but not only, are currently achieving major strides forward in the industrial/technology revolution, similar to what countries like the US achieved in the late 1800s/early 1900s.

I would not consider the US in absolute decline unless there were a multi-year recession or depression.

In my view, the Bush Administration has saddled the US with two big disservices: irresponsible monetary/credit policy and the Iraq war (a bellwether for energy policy, not to mention corporate greed). For as horrible as the Iraq war is, the irresponsible monetary/credit policy is even more serious.

On the other hand, the current administration's tax and trade policies have been, in my view, beneficial.

The problem with the democrats is that they will certainly do nothing to improve monetary/credit policy, they will most likely do nothing about Iraq (energy policy), and they almost certainly will exacerbate the country's economic problems with fiscal policies that are just as, if not more pernicious than the current administration's monetary/credit policies.

With McCain, there is at least the possibility of nothing doing on tax policy and, outside of the Iraq war, some small chance for improvement on the spending side of fiscal policy.

If you do not understand why monetary/credit policy is so important for the political, economic, and, I would say, the moral life of a body social, than consider starting a new thread with questions on this subject, perhaps in the business and finance forum.

In this context, and also in the context of the Iraq war and foreign policy in general, you may also ponder why some people see the logic in supporting, and perhaps voting for, Ron Paul.

The risk with such a move is that it may disperse the vote in favor of the greater of the two evils that we will have to vote for come November.

Remember that partisan politics is a monster with two heads: the people see the two heads, but fail to realize that the body is one.

I hope this helps and ...

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 07:43 AM

439 posts, read 605,800 times
A vote for McCain will be the same. I also believe that

A Vote For Hillary Is Also A Vote For Continuing The Decline Of America

Old 05-05-2008, 08:12 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
carter created 10 million jobs, how much did bushies, less than 5 million, most of carters economic problems were because of nixon and fords previous policies, obama has stated that he will keep the tax cuts for the middle class but he will raise taxes on the rich to offset the lost revenue, those bush tax cuts didnt do us any good, 90% of it went to the rich, while income has been down for 5 years and we've had huge deficits, great tax cuts...yeah right

mccain himself has said he has no idea how to run an economy, obama has lots of mentors and he knows a lot about the economy and the constitution, he has a major in constitutional law, mclame=almost last in a class of 900

dont the republicans ever take personal responsibility?, this country was in horrible shape under the republicans, you guys passed nothing good for the american people, 12 years, nothing worth mentioning, at least the dems raised the minimum wage, it was the same as mexicos minimum wage. now the republicans blame the democratic congress as if the congress runs the economy, losers

makes no sense, go read a book

I like this post especially the part I bolded

Old 05-05-2008, 02:50 PM

654 posts, read 1,210,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post
This sentence makes no sense. It is almost an oxymoron.
Maybe you could use your brain a bit and THINK, instead of just listening to rush limbaugh and recycling his fearmongering hatespeak.
Fearmongering hatespeak?
Why am I not surprised that a leftist would immediately resort to nonsensical name calling when unable to defend a position?

And taxing everyone into welfare is not an oxymoron. If you tax people too much they will lose more and more of their money. When taxes keep going higher the only ones who will be "wealthy" (ever notice how the amount of money one needs to be considered wealthy by leftists continually gets lower and lower) will be a very select few. When this happens the motivation to not only succeed, but to prosper, becomes weaker and the willingness to invest in innovative ideas drys up. When this happens the the government takes in less revenue because its tax base is smaller. When this happens fewer jobs are created because fewer people have money to hire employees. When this happens unemployment rises dramatically. When this happens more and more people turn to welfare....but who will be left to pay for it?

It's really quite simple. Although I wouldn't expect a leftist to be able to see past the end of his nose and understand the consequences of these policies further down the road.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:46 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,085 times
Yes.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:06 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,292,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
Nope, a vote for Obama is for a Carter like econonmy of higher taxes, more government the the repeal of the great tax break we got 2 years ago.

He has no economic or military experience and he now has no mentor to go to when he has something to discuss with the people he says he will lean on.

Obama spells even far worse then Bush has given us. Remember the economy was in fine shape until the democrats took control of congress.

Obama will tax us all into welfare.
Bush has placed us in a far worse position than Carter ever did. As far as Nancy Pelosi and the crew that have rubber stamped all of Bush's plans like continuing the war, they can all leave Congress. I look forward to helping boot all those career politicians out on both sides. I want change at the top and in the Congress. Mccain will just elevate all his buddies.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
glad you said it first. getting a lil scary. more and more GOP is beginning to look like blackwater.
obama 08.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:24 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,481,378 times
A quote from Linda Chavez - Syndicated Columnist

"America is in its darkest hour - again. It happens every four years when the Democrats take center stage for their national convention. In 2004, we heard that we were in the midst of another Great Depression. For the last week, we've heard more economic doom and gloom. It must have been disappointing news to Democrats to read on Thursday that the U.S. economy grew 3.3% in the second quarter. It's hard to turn those numbers into a recession, much less than a depression".

The OP said that he just couldn't understand why anyone would vote for John McCain. Well, Democrats see America through magic glasses that make everything look like crap. All the time. Their leaders shove this negative outlook down their throats, and they lap it up. Republicans have a different view. People on the right could never understand why someone would vote for Obama. The Republican opinion, typically, to justify why a person would vote for Obama or any other Democrat could sound something like this .......... "Anyone who votes for Obama wants something for free."

Last edited by Yooperkat; 08-30-2008 at 05:38 PM..

Old 08-30-2008, 06:29 PM

26 posts, read 44,647 times
"McCain frequently forgets key elements of policies, gets countries' names wrong, forgets things he's said only hours or days before and is frequently just confused."

Old 08-30-2008, 07:30 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
McCain is for the decline of America, sure.
Obama wants to at least remove tax breaks for corporations that send jobs overseas, and give them to those creating jobs at home and to small businesses and startup business. That's where, traditionally, the innovations and competition has come from.

McCain is all for big business.

Where you put your money, you reward. Why should I be sponsoring the guys who are taking our jobs away? Why do we still subsidize big oil?
Obama's plan gives lower taxes to the middle class.
It is obvious that the Republicans care nothing for the middle class but to bilk them and only seem to care at election time, during which if they wag the flag enough and spout patriotic war stories it will wipe away the lowering living standard and the sub par education in schools and the tanking economy and the never ending war.

To quote Hillary -

No more.
No way.
No McCain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections