U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-01-2008, 12:00 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,665 posts, read 3,410,197 times
Reputation: 579

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Your theory has one big hole. Was Wright out stumping for Obama in the black community before this dust up? You state that Wright was instrumental in cementing Obama's relationship to the black community, but I doubt most of black America has even heard of Wright before white America did. Wright's name was well known in Chicago, but I don't think he had much reach beyond that until the opposition made him famous. You think droves of black voters were investigating this matter between November and January or February or so (whenever they tipped for Obama) and discovered Obama's views were sufficiently black because of his relationhip to Wright? Hmmm... I doubt it.
Locally Obama needed Wright for street cred w/ Illinois voters. Obama knew Wright was a liability when going national and slowly distanced himself and Wright became the reverend scorned and didn't like it.

I don't believe for one second that Obama didn't know the ins and outs of all of Rev Wrights views and racial anger. Now that it's become national news Obama was forced to do the politically expedient thing and throw him under the bus. It probably was painful as I'm guessing he truly does admire the guy. Pure politics as usual from a Cook County liberal dem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-01-2008, 01:26 PM
 
3,568 posts, read 3,273,639 times
Reputation: 1364
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
Locally Obama needed Wright for street cred w/ Illinois voters. Obama knew Wright was a liability when going national and slowly distanced himself and Wright became the reverend scorned and didn't like it.

I don't believe for one second that Obama didn't know the ins and outs of all of Rev Wrights views and racial anger. Now that it's become national news Obama was forced to do the politically expedient thing and throw him under the bus. It probably was painful as I'm guessing he truly does admire the guy. Pure politics as usual from a Cook County liberal dem.
That's my sense, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2008, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
408 posts, read 639,633 times
Reputation: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Obama knew he had a "Wright" problem long before he announced his candidacy in March of last year. In fact the NY Times (which was then in the tank for Hillary) did a hit piece on Obama at about the same time he announced that featured his association with Wright and Wright's off-the-wall theology. Because of that Obama did not allow Wright to appear on the platform with him when he announced his candidacy. So knowing that Wright posed a potentially huge problem why didn't he pre-emptively dump Wright sooner rather than later?

It may be that he hoped Wright's looniness would go unnoticed. Which it did, thanks to a feckless press. But Obama had to know that the opposition would not be so accomodating. Wright, at some point, would become an issue. My theory is that Obama could not afford to dump Wright prematurely because he needed him to authenticate his black bona fides, as I've written elsewhere. Remember, when Obama announced, his black support was rather anemic. Questions were being raised in the black community whether Obama was black enough. Blacks should have been Obama's core constituency, but they weren't, not at first. He was more popular among white college kids than among blacks. So he needed time to introduce himself to the black community and to cement a relationship with them. Wright was instrumental to that process. Obama's membership in Wright's separatist black church gave him the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval he needed from the black community.

If this was Obama's plan, it worked. Maybe too well. What they didn't count on was Wright's failure to cooperate in his own marginalization. We'll have to see how it plays out.
Obama did not "dump" Wright, he said that Wrights views are not his. I really think this is hilarious. Obama is not spelled Wright. And for that fact a lot of the things that the media has been saying has been snippets of his entire sermon. If people would actually do their research I really don't think this whole Wright thing would be an issue. In fact there was a press conference a couple of days ago with the man himself, if anyone was watching then this should be over.

And, No, Obama does not need Wright to "get in" with the black community. Maybe people should ask the black community. He does not need to authenticate anything!!! This is blowing my mind.

I really thought that this whole Wright would just really blow over. People would do their own research and find the truth and move on! It bothered me first when people were dropping Obama as their candidate because of his pastor! Who is running for President? Come on people, get it together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2008, 06:41 AM
 
3,568 posts, read 3,273,639 times
Reputation: 1364
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaShay87 View Post
Obama did not "dump" Wright, he said that Wrights views are not his. I really think this is hilarious. Obama is not spelled Wright. And for that fact a lot of the things that the media has been saying has been snippets of his entire sermon. If people would actually do their research I really don't think this whole Wright thing would be an issue. In fact there was a press conference a couple of days ago with the man himself, if anyone was watching then this should be over.

And, No, Obama does not need Wright to "get in" with the black community. Maybe people should ask the black community. He does not need to authenticate anything!!! This is blowing my mind.

I really thought that this whole Wright would just really blow over. People would do their own research and find the truth and move on! It bothered me first when people were dropping Obama as their candidate because of his pastor! Who is running for President? Come on people, get it together.
If your argument is that Wright is misunderstood and that his appearance at the Press Club clarified his views then you're standing on shaky ground. That's because Obama himself said that Wright's press conference was the final straw for him and that he was outraged by what came out of Wright's mouth at that venue.

As far as moving on from the Wright controversy Obama himself said in his interview with Chris Wallace on Fox News Sunday that it was a legitimate political issue. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2008, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
408 posts, read 639,633 times
Reputation: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
If your argument is that Wright is misunderstood and that his appearance at the Press Club clarified his views then you're standing on shaky ground. That's because Obama himself said that Wright's press conference was the final straw for him and that he was outraged by what came out of Wright's mouth at that venue.

As far as moving on from the Wright controversy Obama himself said in his interview with Chris Wallace on Fox News Sunday that it was a legitimate political issue. Sorry.
We must be talking about a separate conference then. And if it is the same and Obama said that he was outraged then THAT would lose credibility for him. People are focusing way to much on this supposed "scandal" than the issues!

And I do not watch Fox News, they are really not what the news should be. I can tell you that if I was Obama I might be saying the same things to keep a certain population of the country calm about me as a candidate, that does not mean I wouldn't think they were all being ridiculous. He is still a politician. And the media and other candidates are going to dig up whatever to make sure they win.

In my eyes this is just not an issue. People that are making it an issue need to move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2008, 11:14 AM
 
3,568 posts, read 3,273,639 times
Reputation: 1364
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaShay87 View Post
We must be talking about a separate conference then. And if it is the same and Obama said that he was outraged then THAT would lose credibility for him. People are focusing way to much on this supposed "scandal" than the issues!

And I do not watch Fox News, they are really not what the news should be. I can tell you that if I was Obama I might be saying the same things to keep a certain population of the country calm about me as a candidate, that does not mean I wouldn't think they were all being ridiculous. He is still a politician. And the media and other candidates are going to dig up whatever to make sure they win.

In my eyes this is just not an issue. People that are making it an issue need to move on.
Now you're saying exactly what Wright said about Obama--that in distancing himself from Wright Obama was merely speaking as a politician, implying that his outrage was manufactured for political purposes. You both may be right. Which means that Obama's signature allure based on his being different from the run-of-the-mill politician has been mere pretense all along. I don't see how that helps Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2008, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
408 posts, read 639,633 times
Reputation: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Now you're saying exactly what Wright said about Obama--that in distancing himself from Wright Obama was merely speaking as a politician, implying that his outrage was manufactured for political purposes. You both may be right. Which means that Obama's signature allure based on his being different from the run-of-the-mill politician has been mere pretense all along. I don't see how that helps Obama.
He has to get into office first, then he can be honest. Sorry, but America is not grown-up enough to handle truth. Which is why I say he is speaking like a politician. If he were to come out and tell people that Wright has nothing to do with his campaign, but he is his pastor and people should get over it, how do you think people would respond? American's need to be coddled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2008, 03:14 PM
 
775 posts, read 444,405 times
Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets agree to disagree View Post
Your theory of him Keeping Wright in his life was for the sake of being more black is SOOOOO dumb, it's actually funny. Yeah...I'm going have Walter Mercado when I run for Office, so I can be more Hispanic. He had a relationship of 20 years with the man. He married them. Baptized his kids. Prayed with him when he announced to run for President.It's called loyalty, something you may not be too aware of. However, sometimes people can break that loyalty and trust. It happens to the best of us. That's life. Obama has handled this wonderfully. Any other person would've broken down at this point. He gave a great speech on race. Always confronted the issue, never ran from it. Unlike who brushed off her sniper fire lies as a mistake. How come the media never made that a huge issue like Wright. I say lying is worse than what your pastor said 7 years ago. That's an issue...a down right liar. Funny how race is being used against him. But Obama is a man with class, and never breaks under pressure. He didn't take the opportunity to bury Clinton when asked about her lying. He was a gentleman and Presidential. He doesn't need to throw mud at anyone to make himself look better. Clinton does. He never made an issue of having a Woman running this country, but she uses the race card against him. He proves more and more each day, that he has the control, the guts, demeanor, the judgment, to lead this country.
Why can I not rep you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2008, 09:15 AM
 
7,987 posts, read 11,207,162 times
Reputation: 2704
Looks like the same way Obama had to throw Wright under the bus, he has now had to throw friend and rapper Ludacris under the bus.

In addition to Jeremiah Wright, the list of questionable Obama friends continues to grow.....and each time a new sketchy friend is exposed, they are thrown under the bus.

What is up with the lack of judgment on Obama's part?

Jeremiah Wright
Tony Rezko
William Ayers
Michael Pfleger
now Ludacris

This is an ongoing, never ending cycle of bad judgment for Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2008, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
1,113 posts, read 1,628,723 times
Reputation: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Looks like the same way Obama had to throw Wright under the bus, he has now had to throw friend and rapper Ludacris under the bus.

In addition to Jeremiah Wright, the list of questionable Obama friends continues to grow.....and each time a new sketchy friend is exposed, they are thrown under the bus.

What is up with the lack of judgment on Obama's part?

Jeremiah Wright
Tony Rezko
William Ayers
Michael Pfleger
now Ludacris

This is an ongoing, never ending cycle of bad judgment for Obama.
The mods already closed your other thread trying to promote this, and now you're trying to resurrect a three month old thread......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:58 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top