Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 01:35 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
He will probably take in about 250000 this year at age 32, delayed gratification since he was not working, but going to school until he was 29. Does that make him an elitist? He is paying off his debt, paying off his parents house, helping his sister with her college costs. That is what we hope and pray for as middle class parents.
Being well off does not make one elite, being completely disconnected from average/disadvantaged people or looking down at them with scorn because of your social status does.

And congrats to the nephew on his success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 02:04 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,508,748 times
She ought to keep her mouth shut if she wants to help her husband. If she wants to help Clinton and McCain then she should be encouraged to talk more!

Old 05-01-2008, 02:07 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Perhaps for some people. However, I know an older woman in Indiana who was swayed to Obama's side after attending a Michelle Obama lecture and meeting her, so not everyone shares the mysterious animosity toward this woman she engenders on this board. In fact, I rather like her.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:15 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Being well off does not make one elite, being completely disconnected from average/disadvantaged people or looking down at them with scorn because of your social status does.

And congrats to the nephew on his success.
And I guess I think that a single comment does not make someone an elitist who has worked to get where they are. And I know people who are very upset in PA, I don't live there because of poor economics in the last 20 years and had move all over, when everyone was told to do well in school and you will have it made in PA. I just think people like to hang on to a sound bite and not look at the whole person. When I hear things like they are hate filled I know reality is gone and emotion is setting in. None of our candidates are hate filled and none of our candidates are racist, the hype is beyond the pale.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:42 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Not sure who you are refering to with this "some of you are still failures" is but I live far better off than the average American and was not born into wealth. There will always be a 3 class society, and when you lose touch with the bottom 2 you run into problems. Ask the French.

I am also not delusional enough to believe that my life, a 29 year old SAHM (who could be pulling 75K in salary easily) living in a new built custom home with 2 kids, 1 on the way, and nearly 6 figures in reserve savings, is comparable to the average American making half what my husband makes and struggling with an average of 8K in cc debt with NO savings.

"Most people live like us". Well I guess by your theory, Warren Buffet once wore diapers, crawled and had to learn how to read, so that means he is still just like the boy next door right?
Yes Warren Buffet is just like us. He is working as hard as ever and is not leaving his wealth to his children because they need to learn to work hard. Even with his wealth and his age he is working hard like most Americans. Warren Buffett is Poly Just like us but more successful. Read and understand. Knowledge is powerful

With regards to my comment about some of you who are failures, I think you know who you are. If you look in the mirror and say darn I done good then obviously it isn't you. If when you look in the mirror you see a person who is a victim then oh well. If your feelings are based on logical examination of issues then you are intelligent. If it is a visceral bantering based on emotion then oh well you can Google psychology.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:49 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Well, if most people live like them, I'm willing to exchange homes and income with them for a month and see if there's any difference. Barack, Michelle, and the kids can move into my manufactured home in Texas and we'll move into their house in Chicago, all living on the other's income! If, at the end of the month, she's still saying that most people "live like them," I'll vote for him! LOL, I'd go on one heck of a shopping spree and they can enjoy eating the produce from my garden to supplement the disability income they'd have to live on.

But, you know what? I wouldn't WANT to live like them, frankly. Too complicated and stressed-out. Wouldn't be good for my health situation.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:52 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
She ought to keep her mouth shut if she wants to help her husband. If she wants to help Clinton and McCain then she should be encouraged to talk more!
LOL, I think it would be grand if she and Rev. Wright embarked on the "Magical De-Mystification Tour" together! What fun that would be!

Old 05-01-2008, 02:53 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Well, if most people live like them, I'm willing to exchange homes and income with them for a month and see if there's any difference. Barack, Michelle, and the kids can move into my manufactured home in Texas and we'll move into their house in Chicago, all living on the other's income! If, at the end of the month, she's still saying that most people "live like them," I'll vote for him! LOL, I'd go on one heck of a shopping spree and they can enjoy eating the produce from my garden to supplement the disability income they'd have to live on.

But, you know what? I wouldn't WANT to live like them, frankly. Too complicated and stressed-out. Wouldn't be good for my health situation.
You make me laugh. And on top of that you have to sit in church and listen to hate speeches from the rev. or the other friends of the rev. who still are stating that it is right what he had said!!! What a waste of time, you are better off the way you live. I wouldn't be the Obama's and if I would be they would be different. they wouldn't have these friends, etc....

Old 05-01-2008, 02:56 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Ah, you admit it. You couldn't handle her life. You haven't got the moxie.

So stop dissin' your betters.

<ducking and holding metal trashcan lid over head>

Old 05-01-2008, 02:59 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
You make me laugh. And on top of that you have to sit in church and listen to hate speeches from the rev. or the other friends of the rev. who still are stating that it is right what he had said!!! What a waste of time, you are better off the way you live. I wouldn't be the Obama's and if I would be they would be different. they wouldn't have these friends, etc....

~ I wonder if they have a coffee maker.....lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections