U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2008, 11:02 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,115,100 times

Advertisements

The hell with the Constitution, the hell with being analytical about where the cost is coming from, let's put the federal government in charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 07:32 AM

7,922 posts, read 7,817,743 times
I am sorry if some people on here think that i am too passionate about the health care situation in the USA. I live in the UK and USA and this coming election does affect every American citizen. How can such a great country like America pander to the rich and the big companies to the detrement of the not so wealthy hard working American citizens. To see a country that has parents deciding whether they pay for groceries or healthcare is a disgrace. Obama and Clinton are making promises about healthcare that may or may not happen. Is the health of America so unimportant that it comes down to if's and maybe's. America is the greatest country in the world. McCain has no real plan, so let's hope that Obama or Clinton carry out their promises and not get into office and give all the reasons why they can't give everyone great healthcare.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:45 AM

25,107 posts, read 35,116,721 times
Any UHC / UHI scheme would have to be brought forward by the Congress of the United States. This will not happen.

There will be, IMO, substantial legislation proffered in the next Congress to make Health Insurance a) more accessible and b) more affordable.

But, a Universal program simply will not happen

Old 05-06-2008, 08:36 AM

The same argument was put forward in the UK before we implemented the NHS. Greatday, you and i have completely opposite opinions about the healthcare situation. Because you can afford healthcare and are ok, you really are not bothered if there is reform or not. To put America into a position of great healthcare for all is not just about trying to give the poorer Americans some kind of help or minimal health care scheme. If America can spend billions putting men on the moon, i'm sure they can afford a UHC. Maybe it's the old mindframe that has now put America into a position where the infrastructure is collapsing and people are dying due to no health cover. You say with apparant glee that there will not be a UHC. bOth cLinton and Obama have said they want this to happen in one form or another. McCain is a non starter. Don't get too smug about healthcare as it is and will be an important factor in the presidential race. Obama will make sure that if a family cannot afford health care it will be paid for by the govt. Everyone will have healthcare. It will only put your premiums up and they wil get the same cover as you but the govt will pay it. Your get it done today will disappear out of sight as millions join health schemes and no more hospitals are built. Be careful for what you wish for!

Old 05-06-2008, 08:41 AM

3,255 posts, read 4,576,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I am sorry if some people on here think that i am too passionate about the health care situation in the USA. I live in the UK and USA and this coming election does affect every American citizen. How can such a great country like America pander to the rich and the big companies to the detrement of the not so wealthy hard working American citizens. To see a country that has parents deciding whether they pay for groceries or healthcare is a disgrace. Obama and Clinton are making promises about healthcare that may or may not happen. Is the health of America so unimportant that it comes down to if's and maybe's. America is the greatest country in the world. McCain has no real plan, so let's hope that Obama or Clinton carry out their promises and not get into office and give all the reasons why they can't give everyone great healthcare.
Many of us are with you Geeoro on the health care thing. When do you take your test! My husband is a year way yet! He often flies to Ireland for health care even though I pay a fortune for it here. He likes his doctor there and he can call and get an appointment the same day, same with the dentist.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
The same argument was put forward in the UK before we implemented the NHS. Greatday, you and i have completely opposite opinions about the healthcare situation. Because you can afford healthcare and are ok, you really are not bothered if there is reform or not. To put America into a position of great healthcare for all is not just about trying to give the poorer Americans some kind of help or minimal health care scheme. If America can spend billions putting men on the moon, i'm sure they can afford a UHC. Maybe it's the old mindframe that has now put America into a position where the infrastructure is collapsing and people are dying due to no health cover. You say with apparant glee that there will not be a UHC. bOth cLinton and Obama have said they want this to happen in one form or another. McCain is a non starter. Don't get too smug about healthcare as it is and will be an important factor in the presidential race. Obama will make sure that if a family cannot afford health care it will be paid for by the govt. Everyone will have healthcare. It will only put your premiums up and they wil get the same cover as you but the govt will pay it. Your get it done today will disappear out of sight as millions join health schemes and no more hospitals are built. Be careful for what you wish for!
Let me once again, set you straight.

I am very concerned about those who do not have health insurance or who have inadequate health insurance.

I also know that of the approximately 40 million of those without health insurance, some 10 million are illegal immigrants. Another 12 million (approx) are Americans / legal immigrants who have the financial resources to pay for health insurance but, for what ever reason, have voluntarily choosen not to purchase it.

Of the 18 million others, there are means being proffered to provide them with basic coverages without changing to a NHI scheme.

Neither Clinton nor Obama are offering plans to cover everyone.

Nor, should the American taxpayers have to pay for illegal immigrants and those who have the financial means to pay for their own.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:53 AM

Thanks Jane. I get so annoyed at the so called "voices of reason" on here who really couldn't care less as long as they get their health care cover. They talk about other UHC's and haven't a clue about how they work. To see even one American Citizen excluded from healthcare is terrible, to see millions excluded is criminal. America is falling apart by pandering to lobbyists. Thank god the old folk are now being overtaken by the young vote. The smug "i'm ok Jack" will soon be "hey, you've got the same healthcare as me" as they cry into their beers.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:03 AM

Greatday, read obama and clintons health plans. They are both offering healthcare to everyone. You told me that you have experienced both UHC and the American system and the American way was best. I asked you to show mw how the UHC that you experienced in Hong Kong was inferior. As of yet no reply. You have no idea of how a UHC works. You are elitist in yout health care and completely out of touch with the majority of the American people. Yes there will be people on here who will never want a UHC and will agree with you. There are also people out there believe in Planet X coming to conquer the earth. One American Citizen dying from no health cover is one too many. Don't quote illegals, we are talking about American citizens. The illegal issue is another debate. America can fix the health problem. Obama and Clinton both know it must happen. Once they stop pandering to already covered brigade there will be a drastic change. We can speculate all we like but change is coming and it's coming fast. Sorry if that will make your health cover the same as millions of others. You will be just one of millions covered by your plan.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
You told me that you have experienced both UHC and the American system and the American way was best. I asked you to show mw how the UHC that you experienced in Hong Kong was inferior. As of yet no reply.
Not true - I did reply.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:08 AM

8,575 posts, read 6,330,479 times
I really want the same people who run the DMV, running health care. government in action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or