U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 10:51 AM

9,043 posts, read 11,559,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
If I took your phrase; "You're darn right I'm hoping for the sky to fall and the markets to crash." out of context, my bad.

Why is it good for you and your country if that occurs?
You snipped the statement, just like how people snip out bites like "we're not interesting in finding him" stated by Bush about bin Laden. You failed to include the effect of a market correction for America's future prosperity and instead just skewed the story to your benefit.

How is my ability to profit from a market correction different from the pirates of Wall Street stealing from Americans' savings vis-a-vis inflation and parasite lobbyists draining the Treasury in your perverted vision of an economy?

Secondly, a crash will humble many people who have lived high on the hog for many years and allow them to worship what's truly important to them: family, church, friends. Not just money and trying to impress people they don't know.

By worshipping the current growth dynamic, you must hate family values and faith in God. You worship short sighted greed over true productivity and prosperity in the American economy.

Nevertheless, I stand corrected on the quote. The proper phrase is "I wish for a noticable market correction which is absolutely necessary to lead America to a proper growth dynamic"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 10:59 AM

69,372 posts, read 55,245,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
That's nice, but the sky is falling...it's called a recession.

Have you been grocery shopping over the last year? It's estimated U.S. food prices at the retail level will rise between 4% and 5% this year, according to the USDA. Last year, retail food prices rose 4%, the largest increase since 1990.
We have had nothing even close to a recession. A recession is 2 quarters of the economy shrinking, we have not even had one.

While prices might rise, thats inflation, not a recession. One has nothing to do with the other.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:03 AM

4,831 posts, read 6,172,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Dictionary needed.

Price increases are called inflation and yes that does exist.

This election is becoming scary.
It is becoming scary because, IMO, 2 things, the polarization and complete lack of substance/facts.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
We have had nothing even close to a recession. A recession is 2 quarters of the economy shrinking, we have not even had one.

While prices might rise, thats inflation, not a recession. One has nothing to do with the other.
This is true, directly speaking.

But, what happens when bonds collapse and yields go to the moon? With high inflation coupled with such high yields just to attract buyers of treasuries, the economy can severely contract given so many resources just to service the existing debt.

The interest to our existing debt will skyrocket to such a high degree it will be incomprehensible.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:09 AM

4,831 posts, read 6,172,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Yep. That's the dems/libs for you. Always hoping for bad things to happen, whether in the economy, or Iraq, just for political gain.

How must it feel to be a dem/lib always rooting for our enemies and our decline?
I really don't think it is fair to say liberals want it. You should honestly say that the politically connected liberals want it. I have many liberal friends that would actually prefer, prosperous times, end to war, equality of all over any particular party in the White House. Those are the true Americans. This applies to conservatives too.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:41 AM

2,665 posts, read 3,404,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
You snipped the statement, just like how people snip out bites like "we're not interesting in finding him" stated by Bush about bin Laden. You failed to include the effect of a market correction for America's future prosperity and instead just skewed the story to your benefit.

How is my ability to profit from a market correction different from the pirates of Wall Street stealing from Americans' savings vis-a-vis inflation and parasite lobbyists draining the Treasury in your perverted vision of an economy?

Secondly, a crash will humble many people who have lived high on the hog for many years and allow them to worship what's truly important to them: family, church, friends. Not just money and trying to impress people they don't know.

By worshipping the current growth dynamic, you must hate family values and faith in God. You worship short sighted greed over true productivity and prosperity in the American economy.

Nevertheless, I stand corrected on the quote. The proper phrase is "I wish for a noticable market correction which is absolutely necessary to lead America to a proper growth dynamic"
I wonder how many Bush bashers actually do so because they wish for a 'noticeable market correction' and instead get growth and falling unemployment.

And, if you want an exercise into the lies repeated and how the libs fall for them hook, line and sinker; look into the "we're not interested in finding him" garbage that has virtually no basis in fact.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
I wonder how many Bush bashers actually do so because they wish for a 'noticeable market correction' and instead get growth and falling unemployment.

And, if you want an exercise into the lies repeated and how the libs fall for them hook, line and sinker; look into the "we're not interested in finding him" garbage that has virtually no basis in fact.
Realtors suffering from the real estate Ponzi scheme unfolding don't count in the statistics as they are "free agents". What about mortgage brokers who work on commish? What about many in the construction industry who are self-employed and have no work? They don't count in the statistics. That statistic might as well say 5 potato chips. The methodology changes constantly. But those who are not mathematically inclined like to believe you can change the equation to get results to serve your interest. Many private sources put the real unemployment figures at 10% or higher.

C'mon now. There are plenty of good Bush quotes to take out of context

"Now watch this swing!"
"The government has a role in helping homeowners"

...and on and on...

Old 05-02-2008, 11:58 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,835,861 times
reality:

good high paying jobs lost, crappy low paying service jobs gain:

Quote:
Highlights

61,000 construction jobs were lost
46,000 manufacturing jobs were lost
27,000 retail trade jobs were lost

90,000 service providing jobs were added
A whopping 110,000 goods producing jobs in total were lost (higher paying jobs), while mostly lower paying service sector jobs were added.
Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: April Jobs - Another Report From Bizarro World

Old 05-02-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
reality:

good high paying jobs lost, crappy low paying service jobs gain:

Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: April Jobs - Another Report From Bizarro World
Plus as Americans become by definition poorer from a devalued currency, most of those non-exportable services won't have much demand from a financially crippled middle class.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:26 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,711,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
It is becoming scary because, IMO, 2 things, the polarization and complete lack of substance/facts.
Very true and when active paricipants in here don't know the difference between recession and inflation I really worry. I don't mind some folks flaming a candidate and will do so myself. I will react when someone flames and don't mind if they react to me. Ignoring basic facts is one thing. Being clueless is scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or