U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2008, 10:58 PM

7,279 posts, read 13,530,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
Nazi book burnings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The refusal of every leftist I've encountered to express rational support for their beliefs and the refusal to consider authentic liberal reasoning is no different than the Nazi suppression of ideas. It's sick... and sad.
I know the Nazis burned books. When did Obama supporters burn books?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 05:48 AM

35,272 posts, read 19,303,116 times
Default Anyone Regret Voting for Obama

Of course not. What a silly question. I look forward to voting for him in November, too. And I'll make more contributions to his campaign in the general election after the August convention.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:22 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,090,932 times
Quote:
Burning books and the showing up at Clinton rallies chanting Obama, refusing to discuss certain issues because they, supposedly, offend ones sensibilities and dismissing religion and gun ownership as being something not of ones culture is all the same. It's all intellectual oppression... an inability to put ones self in another's shoes. (Ron Paul had quite a following of the same thing.)
Quote:
When did Obama supporters burn books?
There's no claim of Obama supporters and book burning.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:30 AM

7,279 posts, read 13,530,952 times
Quote:
There's no claim of Obama supporters and book burning.
Ok. I kinda see where you're coming from.

Still, it goes back to orders of magnitude. Chanting "Obama" at a Clinton rally and burning books are not the same, in my opinion.

First of all, it's exercising free speech (albeit in an annoying way that I don't encourage) rather than limiting it.

Secondly, if we want to carry every example to the extreme, then what about other examples of limiting free speech? Someone shushing you in a library or movie theater? Is that the same as book burning?

Furthermore, I've seen footage of both camps screaming at and over each other for months. I'm tired of it, but certainly won't compare it to gestapo tactics. Beyond being silly, it cheapens the actual severity of the gestapo and the Nazis and is an insult to anyone who actually lived through the Third Reich.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
First of all, it's exercising free speech (albeit in an annoying way that I don't encourage) rather than limiting it.
It's an exercise of force. There's nothing related to free speech in suppressing another's ability to express themselves. When it happens on private property or property rented from the public, it's theft.

Quote:
Secondly, if we want to carry every example to the extreme, then what about other examples of limiting free speech? Someone shushing you in a library or movie theater? Is that the same as book burning?
Common goal of those places requires silence. If you rented one of them and sold tickets, you'd be withint your rights, IMO, to make all the noise you want.

Quote:
Furthermore, I've seen footage of both camps screaming at and over each other for months. I'm tired of it, but certainly won't compare it to gestapo tactics. Beyond being silly, it cheapens the actual severity of the gestapo and the Nazis and is an insult to anyone who actually lived through the Third Reich.
Fair enough. I believe we're seeing the beginning of an era of oppression.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:10 AM

12,646 posts, read 13,919,859 times
Quote:
It's an exercise of force. There's nothing related to free speech in suppressing another's ability to express themselves. When it happens on private property or property rented from the public, it's theft.

Common goal of those places requires silence. If you rented one of them and sold tickets, you'd be withint your rights, IMO, to make all the noise you want.

Fair enough. I believe we're seeing the beginning of an era of oppression.
Beginning when?

Old 05-09-2008, 09:16 AM

12,646 posts, read 13,919,859 times
Quote:
I don't necessarily think Jews slaughtered or a world at war when I think Hitler. I think of him at the front of audiences and how easy his people were to lead into anything that seemed unreasonable.

Burning books and the showing up at Clinton rallies chanting Obama, refusing to discuss certain issues because they, supposedly, offend ones sensibilities and dismissing religion and gun ownership as being something not of ones culture is all the same. It's all intellectual oppression... an inability to put ones self in another's shoes. (Ron Paul had quite a following of the same thing.)

What makes burning books wrong isn't fire. What makes it wrong is the outright rejection of anything one doesn't understand and the willingness to impose on those you don't understand to the point that it becomes oppressive. That's what the left does and that's what Obama is going to be.

Children against parents, isn't going to be calls to the Gestapo. What it will be is the leftist ideology advanced further in the schools-- It's children rejecting the values of their parents in favor of the indoctrination.

It'll also be the government getting more involved in the parent/child relationship. However, like the Germans, there'll be enough of you that you'll all dismiss away the wrong.

Bad times are coming for us... However, only the minority will feel it...

So you're in favor of the 'children vs,. parents' status quo currently in place, and enforced by the police state? The Government's already involved.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Beginning when?
Yelling people down and refusal to discuss subjects claimed to be offensive becoming less radical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
So you're in favor of the 'children vs,. parents' status quo currently in place, and enforced by the police state? The Government's already involved.
Not at all. However, I believe we have the choice to move it further in that direction or away from that direction with every election cycle. Republicans, generally, have been pushing voucher programs. As that develops, the ability of a parent to pull their kids from schools that advance a view contrary to their own is easier whereas the Democrats, generally, support the oppressive "it doesn't work without you so you have to compromise with me regardless how different my values because I must have my way" system.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:46 PM

12,256 posts, read 16,210,403 times
Quote:
Wright isn't dangerous at all. Obama's choice to stay with the church is worrisome because it speaks of his willingness to maintain such friendships and when put together with the other stuff is cause for alarm because it says the people who he'll be putting in the govenrment are scary..
Oh yeah I totally see where you coming from now

Quote:
Listen, when he's choosing the enormous staff and giving out all those political appointments, where do you think he gets the people for those spots? His friends. Ayers is going to know a lawyer from his college days who'd be "perfect" for this job, Obama's wife will know some radical black theologist who'll be great for that job. That's how it works. That's why it's so friggin' scary..
It's friggin terrifying

Quote:
Regarding using fascist and Nazi to describe what we might be heading for, it's the only word that is fitting. Calling someone a communist wouldn't convey the concept of intellectual oppression. That's what we're heading for. I have no doubt that Barack Obama has good intentions. Tragically, good intentions don't necessarily have good outcomes. This is our lives and he has a lot of people around him who don't subscribe to his apparent idealism. ..
Oh so that's why you compared it to Hilter - see I was thinking the whole concentration camp thing - stupid me.

Quote:
The left is a bunch of mean-spirited, angry people. Look at LauraK's post history. That's who Obama is going to have running the country...
Oh yeah so what's on the right a bunch of kind hearted happy people? Yes LauraK is the absloute only and most accurate Obama supporter - we should all vote for McCain rather than have Obama appoint people like her to important positions of power

Quote:
They're true. Obviously, bringing up scenes of the blitzkrieg and gas chambers would be over the top. However, there's nothing else that brings home the thought of burning books, children against parents and blind belief in ideology that drives the left.
No nothing at all. Point well made.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Oh yeah so what's on the right a bunch of kind hearted happy people? Yes LauraK is the absloute only and most accurate Obama supporter - we should all vote for McCain rather than have Obama appoint people like her to important positions of power
I wish. There are plenty of whackos on the right also. The difference is that the right tends (not 100%, but tends) to empower states more than the fed. This allows for more personal control over your life via your home state. So, I can live with my neighbor on the right because, although it's more likely he'll want to peek in my window to see how I'm having sex, he's more likely to try enacting a state law (which is easier to rescind) than a federal law (which is near impossible to rescind. Ex. Social Security, although it's teetering at bankruptcy and none of us are going to get it, we're still forced to pay 15.65% of our income to it because the big fed doesn't move.)

Also, if my whacky right friend gains too much control of a state, I can move to a more moderate one. When the left implements something like universal healthcare that (if SS and the late 60s/early 70s regulation related recessions due to a planned economy is any indication) is sure to fail, then we're wholly oppressed with no hope of escape.

That's why I'd say vote McCain... because, if you watch CSPAN's House of Representatives coverage, it doesn't take long before you realize that it's a scary thought having those people tell you how to handle your healthcare. (You should of seen the disheartening Social Security Adminstration hearings... )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or