U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-04-2008, 04:51 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in Flyover country
531 posts, read 1,586,453 times
Reputation: 161

Advertisements

I will vote for either Obama or Hillaryl. I don't like McCains ideas on healthcare (having been a cancer survivor I know the importance of health insurance). This is the main reason I'd vote for either of these 2. Also,I don't like McCain's ideas on the war--he will be too similar to George Bush! Yes, I was disturbed by what Jeremiah Wright said and Obama's relationship with the man,but frankly this pales when I think or the economy,Iraq war,healthcare situation in the country,etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-04-2008, 05:06 AM
 
Location: Jonquil City (aka Smyrna) Georgia- by Atlanta
16,248 posts, read 21,335,607 times
Reputation: 3587
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme two View Post
You have been wrong about the Obama campaign, and i hope you continue to be for a long time, my friend !! Wright didnt "try" to destroy Obama, naive and stupid BUT sincere, he s a great orator, where Obama learn to articulate I am sure
I disagree with that. Wright destroyed him. After the first tapes came out and had started to die down, I am quite sure Wright was asked by Obama to cool his heels (and despite what both say, I am sure they have each other's cell phone numbers). Instead be being quiet, Wright went on TV and made outrageous statements the week before a crucial primary. And the polls all show it cost Obama dearly- he might even lose N.C. and Indiana- which he had a chance of winning- is a lost cause now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 07:28 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
34,696 posts, read 33,714,187 times
Reputation: 51938
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Not only do I not regret voting for Obama, I am confirmed in my beliefs that he is the best candidate.
Based on what - feelings? The man who wants to unite the country can't even unite the Democrat party. Let me ask you something -- If Obama wasn't a good speaker why would you vote for him? Accomplishments? Name a few. Good Judgment? Name a few things. Leadership? Give a few examples.

I'm not saying any of the other candidates are good ones. I don't like any of them. But Obama is too much of an unknown to be handed the presidency just because he can sweet talk you on a change he won't define and hope that I'm sure everyone would promise if they thought of it first. Who doesn't want hope? You all need to take a good look at this guy because he's not ready for prime time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 09:33 AM
 
3,255 posts, read 4,585,145 times
Reputation: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I appreciate your support and feelings for her. The problem with the gas tax issue is that the metrics strongly suggest it would make gas more expensive for Americans. Any lowering of price just drives demand up. Any driving up of demand without an equal increase in supply drives price up. Thus you will have gas right back at the equilibrium point and when the tax goes back on it will be even more expensive until people cut back again.
Hillary said that economists are elitists today and that she won't listen to them because she "believes" she is right. Well I think we have one of those in the White House right now, someone who discounts his expert advice and goes with his "beliefs". Vote OBAMA to stop the "true believers" and get some experts in the mix again. I want a President who can reach out and bring in the best America has to offer, not who thinks he or she is the only thing we need!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 09:47 AM
 
439 posts, read 546,388 times
Reputation: 41
I was troubled yesterday when I heard Hillary give the Congress an the option to vote for the people or against the people regarding the Gas Holiday. Does she not know that it will be the blue collar workers that will lose their jobs over the summer. Do the Blue Collar workers not see this. She states that she would go after the Oil Company's profit. This would take years to do and I then don't see it happening. So is she misleading the people by saying she will fight for this tax cut this summer. I think she is. Either that or she is ok with people losing their jobs in road repair and construction so that we can save a mere 28.00. As a blue collar worker myself I am not willing to take that money if it means job loss or bad roads or increased gas cost at the end of the summer. It will cost me a lot more then that to fix my car or replace my tires because of bad roads. I believe this is pandering on her part and I don't think she in these bad times for everyone should be doing this. McCain's plan was already voted down by congress and hers will be too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 10:21 AM
 
12,050 posts, read 11,157,066 times
Reputation: 10010
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I still support him but reality tells me we are gonna have to vote for HillBill in November. The only thing I regret is that Obama's friend destroyed him. I hope the SOB sleeps well at night after he collects his money or favours from BillHill.
KevK, I don't think Hillary can win the nomination now. Even with the Wright dust up, Obama is still going to win it, IMO. However, I agree with you that the Wright thing is bad. I don't know if it's a fatal blow yet, but Wright has significantly altered the narrative of this campaign and changed how Obama is perceived. He went from being an attractive post racial candidate to a possible Manchurian candidate for the black militant community. Obama may win the general despite this, but there is a new, huge obstacle in his way to the White House. My hope now is that the seriousness of the issues we face (Iraq, economy, out of control oil prices, etc.) will focus people and lead them to carefully consider where their interests lie. Question for you (if you're still following this thread): do you think the black community underestimates the damage Wright has done? I ask this because the black folks I talk to seem much more convinced that we can get beyond this. Personally, I don't think they realize what a boogey man Wright is to many whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 10:27 AM
 
29,789 posts, read 34,889,516 times
Reputation: 11715
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Based on what - feelings? The man who wants to unite the country can't even unite the Democrat party. Let me ask you something -- If Obama wasn't a good speaker why would you vote for him? Accomplishments? Name a few. Good Judgment? Name a few things. Leadership? Give a few examples.

I'm not saying any of the other candidates are good ones. I don't like any of them. But Obama is too much of an unknown to be handed the presidency just because he can sweet talk you on a change he won't define and hope that I'm sure everyone would promise if they thought of it first. Who doesn't want hope? You all need to take a good look at this guy because he's not ready for prime time.
Hmmm if you question his leadership I would ask you to research his campaign organization and his fund raising both of which exceed Hillary. It was Hillary the presumed nominee a year ago that needs to explain what went wrong with her organization and cash flow. Wouldn't you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 04:19 PM
 
3,255 posts, read 4,585,145 times
Reputation: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
KevK, I don't think Hillary can win the nomination now. Even with the Wright dust up, Obama is still going to win it, IMO. However, I agree with you that the Wright thing is bad. I don't know if it's a fatal blow yet, but Wright has significantly altered the narrative of this campaign and changed how Obama is perceived. He went from being an attractive post racial candidate to a possible Manchurian candidate for the black militant community. Obama may win the general despite this, but there is a new, huge obstacle in his way to the White House. My hope now is that the seriousness of the issues we face (Iraq, economy, out of control oil prices, etc.) will focus people and lead them to carefully consider where their interests lie. Question for you (if you're still following this thread): do you think the black community underestimates the damage Wright has done? I ask this because the black folks I talk to seem much more convinced that we can get beyond this. Personally, I don't think they realize what a boogey man Wright is to many whites.
Are we not pathetic that we would allow a preacher to make us "fear" black people? Perhaps if we "fear" black people, we should get off our duffs and talk to some "real" black people. Gooood lord it is 2008, not 1956.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 05:29 PM
 
1,851 posts, read 2,988,190 times
Reputation: 2365
Thumbs up Regret I Do Not

Nope. I don't regret it one bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 05:42 PM
 
12,050 posts, read 11,157,066 times
Reputation: 10010
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Are we not pathetic that we would allow a preacher to make us "fear" black people? Perhaps if we "fear" black people, we should get off our duffs and talk to some "real" black people. Gooood lord it is 2008, not 1956.
Jane, I hope I'm wrong, but I think this pretty much takes Obama out. I think there are large swaths of white America who don't fear or even dislike blacks per se -- they are just fine with a well dressed "well spoken" highly educated black fellow who lives in the same upscale suburb as they do. In fact, they're glad he lives amongst them. A little diversity is good.. this is 2008 after all. Pre-Wright, Obama had a good chance of capturing their votes, and he needed some of them to win the White House.

These same whites are uncomfortable with blacks who live in poorer areas, earn less than they do, don't marry, aren't as educated, etc. etc. And they are particularly uncomfortable, even downright resentful, when they think this segment of America blames THEM for their problems.

Wright effectively placed Obama in Category B. He's no longer that token black friend who plays a mean game of golf and makes you feel good about yourself; now he's a champion of the black underclass or even just a potentional champion of the black underclass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:00 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top