U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-04-2008, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Near Manito
19,520 posts, read 20,900,729 times
Reputation: 13855

Advertisements

So because of the hateful words of a man who isn't Obama, we abandon Obama and go with a proven liar married to another liar, Mrs. Clinton?

No make um sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-04-2008, 05:57 PM
 
3,255 posts, read 4,583,460 times
Reputation: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Jane, I hope I'm wrong, but I think this pretty much takes Obama out. I think there are large swaths of white America who don't fear or even dislike blacks per se -- they are just fine with a well dressed "well spoken" highly educated black fellow who lives in the same upscale suburb as they do. In fact, they're glad he lives amongst them. A little diversity is good.. this is 2008 after all. Pre-Wright, Obama had a good chance of capturing their votes, and he needed some of them to win the White House.

These same whites are uncomfortable with blacks who live in poorer areas, earn less than they do, don't marry, aren't as educated, etc. etc. And they are particularly uncomfortable, even downright resentful, when they think this segment of America blames THEM for their problems.

Wright effectively placed Obama in Category B. He's no longer that token black friend who plays a mean game of golf and makes you feel good about yourself; now he's a champion of the black underclass or even just a potentional champion of the black underclass.
Wait, he lost the uneducated white vote because he is an elitist. An elitist from the hood you say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 06:03 PM
 
12,050 posts, read 11,147,169 times
Reputation: 10009
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Wait, he lost the uneducated white vote because he is an elitist. An elitist from the hood you say?
He's obviously not from the hood, and I doubt he can be depicted that way (I still can't believe his opponents made him a black militant though.. so anything is possible) but if he's perceived as a potentional champion of those from the hood, he's no longer a cross over candidate. In fact, he has very limited appeal. The elitist racist hell bent on keeping blacks down by keeping them on welfare is a very tired (yet politically effective) right wing trope. That's probably where the narrative is headed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 06:08 PM
 
3,255 posts, read 4,583,460 times
Reputation: 546
If a person who did everything we are supposed to as part of the American dream, get a good education, give back to the community, and work hard in a chosen field, is considered a racist, militant, islam sympathizing, communist, elist, I think we need to look in the mirror and find out why we are seeing things this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 06:16 PM
 
1,613 posts, read 2,377,381 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Are we not pathetic that we would allow a preacher to make us "fear" black people? Perhaps if we "fear" black people, we should get off our duffs and talk to some "real" black people. Gooood lord it is 2008, not 1956.
There are posters here on C-D that would fit the bill, and I'm sure there are other Americans that feel that way too but I have to believe they are in the minority because if not, we have more work to do in regards to race relations than many of us thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 07:54 PM
 
Location: At my computador
2,057 posts, read 3,090,303 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Wait, he lost the uneducated white vote because he is an elitist. An elitist from the hood you say?
You don't have to be rich to be elitist. Being an elitist isn't about being a member of the elite. It's about believing that some people are inherently unable to succeed without the help of an inherently superior group.

That's what Ba'rack was saying when he talked about clinging to guns. He doesn't realize that a lot of us think that we're capable of putting a seed in the ground and watering it for veggies and stalking the dangerous buck for meat. He exposed that he doesn't grasp what the independant spirit of America is about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Sugar Land, TX
437 posts, read 573,004 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
He's obviously not from the hood
South Chicago isn't the hood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 08:26 PM
j33
 
4,625 posts, read 12,866,572 times
Reputation: 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraKGrisgby View Post
South Chicago isn't the hood?
Not the part he lives in. However, it is a few blocks away from some pretty rough areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 11:53 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in Flyover country
531 posts, read 1,585,729 times
Reputation: 161
I wonder if Rev. Wright wan't jealous of Obama. He sure doesn't seem like he wants him to win. And he picked a good tiime to stir up this controversy! I also wonder,is Rev. Wright's teachings typical in a black church? As a white woman,it seems like reverse racism to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2008, 12:30 AM
 
Location: In NASCAR World
166 posts, read 104,346 times
Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
In a similar vein as the question regarding voting for President Bush, does anyone regret voting for Obama now that all the scandalous reports on his relationships with rather shady characters have surfaced?

Personally, I did not vote for him (I am a proud Republican) but would have voted for him had I taken a
Democrat ballot.

At the time, he seemed to be a refreshing alternative to the "politics as usual" positions coming from the Clinton camp.

Now it appears that, not only is he a typical politician, but he is divisive.

No regrets. After all the crap that Hillary is trying to do to Mr. Obama, I am even happier I voted for him.

GO OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top