Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 03:30 PM

603 posts, read 1,995,698 times

Advertisements

In an political article I read recently on Yahoo really surprised me. Barack Obama, the rising star of the Democratic party, is having a hard time selling his message to blacks. While he is recieving overwhelming support from white Americans who are flocking to his speeches, it appears that black Americans are not enthusiastic about his possible candidacy as president. Why is this?

"Obama did not -- does not -- share a heritage with the majority of black Americans, who are descendants of plantation slaves," wrote African-American newspaper columnist Stanley Crouch last month in an article entitled "Barack Obama -- Not Black Like Me."

Okay, IMO this type of attitude appears to be very detrimental to blacks in our society. After many years of cries of inequality, when there is a legitimate black contender for the White House, why does there appear to be a concerted effort to de-legitimize his candidacy? This is despite 60% of the country saying they have no reservations to vote for a black president. Is it because many of these people (and groups) that have become powerful during the civil rights movement (like Jesse Jackson) don't want to face the truth that America has actually come very far in its racial tolerance and if that fact were exposed that they would lose power? Another quote from the article put it this way: "There's a feeling that if white folks like him so much he must not be good for us. For some blacks it's a turn-off."

Any opinions out there?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061221/pl_afp/usvoteobamarace2008 (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 03:58 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
Here's Crouch's article in the Philly press

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/editorial/16256067.htm (broken link)

Tough question, and I have many opinions but none that really feel right. In reading the editorial, I'd say, Stanley Crouch is confused, too. I do know from experience that there is a difference between being born black in the USA, and being born and raised elsewhere (like Africa).

The prejudice experienced by African-Americans is fierce. Africans don't necessarily have that experience, or at least those I know well, and although they might experience prejudice in the US, it is as adults--thus affecting them differently. Crouch's point about Obama's mother being white is also interesting because it is undoubtedly true that a person growing up in an inter-racial family will experience their race in a unique way.

None of these subtleties would influence my vote but perhaps it would influence others.

Today, NPR, Democracy Today, rebroadcast a talk by Angela Davis in Louisiana. Clearly, Ms. Davis feels that racial prejudice is very alive in the US and made some good points. I would interested to hear what other African American leaders think about Obama as a candidate and not rely on Crouch alone.

Your points are well taken and I'll look forward to other responses.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:04 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,467,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post

"Obama did not -- does not -- share a heritage with the majority of black Americans, who are descendants of plantation slaves," wrote African-American newspaper columnist Stanley Crouch last month in an article entitled "Barack Obama -- Not Black Like Me."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061221/pl_afp/usvoteobamarace2008 (broken link)
This is dissapointing, because this attitude has hurt African Americans in this nation. This journalist is saying his generations haven't gone through what slave generations had, so Mr. Obama is not worthy. This point of view puts Blacks in the slavery shell, where they feel a sense of solitary security and importance because of resentment or trials endured from the past.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
This is dissapointing, because this attitude has hurt African Americans in this nation. This journalist is saying his generations haven't gone through what slave generations had, so Mr. Obama is not worthy. This point of view puts Blacks in the slavery shell, where they feel a sense of solitary security and importance because of resentment or trials endured from the past.
Yes, this is precisely what I was getting at. This is what many would refer to as the 'victimization' culture. I think if we had a black president, it would be a great boost of confidence for all minorities that America isn't the extremely racist, bigotted and closed-minded society that so many say it is.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Yes, this is precisely what I was getting at. This is what many would refer to as the 'victimization' culture. I think if we had a black president, it would be a great boost of confidence for all minorities that America isn't the extremely racist, bigotted and closed-minded society that so many say it is.
Very well said my good man.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:27 PM

850 posts, read 3,158,632 times
Have you seen the movie "Barber Shop" with Sedric the Entertainer? I ask this because during one of his monologues, he addresses issues such as these, referring to Rosa Parks being nothing more than a tired Black lady who sat down (I won't quote word for word). He says that Black people need to accept the truth about all the things the have built up to be what they are not. I cannot comment on all of that, but...

...I totally see your point. I often think the only reason racism continues to flare is because many continue to keep it an issue.
Now, I am not so niave' to think there are not many Archie Bunker's left in this world, and there will always be people of all walks of life who feel put down in some way. But I cannot understand a statement - "Not Black like me". What does that mean?

America is a melting pot. None of us would be here had someone way back in our families not traveled here by boat - whether by choice or not - except for Native Americans. They are truly the ones who have been hurt the most in all of history. My husband is 1/2 Choctaw - his grandmother spoke very broken English - and she saw it all. Yet, you do not see Native Americans jumping up and down about violated rights. Why? If anyone should complain, they should.

I long for the day when we all really will be judged on who WE are, not by anythinig else. But as long as some keep the hate alive, like classism, it will continue to exist.

I would support anyone of any race or gender who had the best interest of our country in mind, and reflected my values. That is just who I am.

Strange world we live in. You think it has anything to do with the media and what they want us to believe? I truly do. They choose what they wish us to know, and censor the rest. It only makes sense they would fuel such a fire as this.

Oh, don't get me on my soapbox!

Thanks for the post. It was info I was not aware of.

KimmieyKY

Old 12-28-2006, 05:10 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieyky View Post
I long for the day when we all really will be judged on who WE are, not by anythinig else. But as long as some keep the hate alive, like classism, it will continue to exist.
Unfortunatley that will never happen. Racism and the like will seize to exist when the humans race does the same. I've said it before, we are a flawed species. Evolution will take it's course and hopefully something more improved or superior will take our place. Until then let's do the best we can.

And to answer the first post, I don't think in my life time.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noljos View Post
And to answer the first post, I don't think in my life time.
It is my honest belief that if Colin Powell would have run in '96, he would have gotten the nomination and dealt a huge blow to Clinton if he ran against him. I think we will have a minority prez in my lifetime without a doubt.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:
It is my honest belief that if Colin Powell would have run in '96, he would have gotten the nomination and dealt a huge blow to Clinton if he ran against him. I think we will have a minority prez in my lifetime without a doubt.
Yeah, but if there isn't a black president along with other issues that could heal racism, we can't worry about reverse racism. People need to get over any bitterness of past history, white folks should not concern themselves over this issue, unless they are racist themselves.

Old 12-28-2006, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
...white folks should not concern themselves over this issue, unless they are racist themselves.
As a white American it is hard to not be concerned over this issue when we're constantly having what our European ancestors did to certain ethnic groups thrown in our face as an explanation for all the ills in society. It is a pervasive sentiment in America, amongst all ethnic groups, whites included. It's a detrimental to whites and other minorities when you make one group feel guilty for what their ancestors may have done (whites) and make other ethnic groups angry for what happened to their ancestors and feel that they have to seek justice against the ethnic majority (whites). This is not a racist argument. That assumption is ludacris IMO and echoes the same mantra that permeates our society that whites are inherently racist (if not consciously, then subconsiously)--totally insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections