Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 08:20 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Sorry to interrupt your daily cheerleading but I'm guessing the white, working class is a tad bigger (and more important) segment of the population than the two groups you mentioned above. It probably is something he should care about.

You can now get back to your pom-poms.
Nice try, but witty you are not.

Bigger? Yes. More relevant? Not this year. It is possible that they botched the last election and nearly painted this country red voting for the collosal idiot Bush. Obvious they still haven't improved their judgment, favoring Hillary.

I'll change my example. Perhaps someone can find a poll showing that Hillary's appeal among the EDUCATED continues to falter. How relevant is that group?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 08:33 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Nice try, but witty you are not.

Bigger? Yes. More relevant? Not this year. It is possible that they botched the last election and nearly painted this country red voting for the collosal idiot Bush. Obvious they still haven't improved their judgment, favoring Hillary.

I'll change my example. Perhaps someone can find a poll showing that Hillary's appeal among the EDUCATED continues to falter. How relevant is that group?
I honestly don't know how relevant any polls are at this point, other than those in states w/ primaries. I mean - it is all downhill from here as far as the race b/n Hillary and Obama. The candidate who emerges will be just that - and so it really doesn't matter what the rest of the country (where primaries have already occurred) think about either candidate at this point.

As a country, we will be left w/ two candidates come November. McCain and - someone else. It is like the DEMs have gotten so caught up in this race, they have forgotten that all the mud that is being slung around w/in the party is only giving ammo to the GOP . . .

So polls about who supports Hillary vs. who supports Obama . . . have no validity or meaning at this point in time . . . except in states where there is still a primary.

Last edited by brokensky; 05-04-2008 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-04-2008, 09:35 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Sorry to interrupt your daily cheerleading but I'm guessing the white, working class is a tad bigger (and more important) segment of the population than the two groups you mentioned above. It probably is something he should care about.

You can now get back to your pom-poms.
In the day to day profitability and American prosperity who really is important? Forget the election but come March 2009 who in America will really be important?
Who will be the thinkers?
Who will be the creators?
Who will be the money creators?
Who will interact with other global heavyweights?
Who will be the intellectuals?
You know the drill, when it comes to your prosperity and financial accounts who really matters to you?
Who do you need around above and beyond the White House.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:44 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
No it is an American problem and regardless of the outcome this election will haunt us for years. This election is playing out like politics in Iraq. I only wonder when the actual bombing of the opposition camps will start. Do your really think this is a pretty process to the outside world? What little moral authority we have left is going down the tube. The opportunity for either candidate to unify the middle class so they can become more involved in the realization of all possible in America is going down the drain. My status as a have is not being shattered it is those who I once was similar to who are seeing their piece of the pie being eaten by others. Oh well the educated prosper because they are.
I think the best thing for the Democrats is for one of the candidates to drop out ASAP, apologize for the way the campaigns have been run and try to heal the party, close the rift that has been opened. The sooner the better. If this continues it will hurt in the general election. BTW, I am a Republican so I am not pulling for either I just see the reality and what it is doing to the party.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:47 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Good points, Tuborg. The in-fighting is discouraging to many of us watching this unfold. And now talk of a nasty fight at the DEM convention - shades of 40 years ago (surely we don't need that?????)

The Democratic party is in upheaval and even tho I am a registered Republican, I am disturbed by it. I hate seeing it as it is not good for this country at all. Seems we are getting more divided, rather than united. Now we all know that the polls have always shown Hillary Clinton gets a very divided response . . . but I think there were many of us (crossing all boundaries, barriers and registrations!) who saw Obama as a UNITER and the right person at the right time to take this country forward.

As for moral authority . . . I don't know. Do we still have any? The neocons have so thoroughly demolished the GOP . . . so the GOP has already been divided . . . and so many of us feel abandoned by our party . . .

It is a really strange time in American politics. The voter is left w/ conflicting impressions . . . too many sound bites and not enuff substance, I guess. Even the debates seemed too contrived to be very meaningful.

Do any of these national candidates really appeal to the working-class? And how, if so? Empty promises?

"I'll stand up for you" - what does that MEAN?

"Yes we can - let's have change" - what does that MEAN?

The working class just knows the value of the dollar has fallen, jobs have been outsourced and lost, China and Dubai own our debt, our healthcare system is over priced . . . and the only people that are getting a "hand up" are those on entitlements getting a "handout." The working poor don't qualify for SQUAT, including Medicaid . . .

So who has anything to offer as far as solutions for the working class?

I keep squinting on the horizon to see that candidate step forward.
Keep squinting and if you see anything let me know. I have very unattractive lines on my forehead from squinting too many years or at least that is what my wife says.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:48 AM

60 posts, read 78,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
I think the best thing for the Democrats is for one of the candidates to drop out ASAP, apologize for the way the campaigns have been run and try to heal the party, close the rift that has been opened. The sooner the better. If this continues it will hurt in the general election. BTW, I am a Republican so I am not pulling for either I just see the reality and what it is doing to the party.
There is only one Nero in this primary race and that is Hillary, fiddling and burning bridges as she goes

Old 05-04-2008, 10:35 AM

What is so magical about the $60K income number for white voters? We keep hearing that Hillary is more popular with those under and Obama with those over? Does that dollar amount equate success in America? Understanding how to get a piece of the pie? Valuing education for their families? I am sorry but what impartial observer wouldn't think the most successful have a greater clue on what we need to continue to be a successful society?
Would you ask a Professional or a Blue Collar worker about how to best accomplish life's essentials?
Health
Income
Retirement
Education
Investments
Housing
What ever else rocks your boat.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Keep squinting and if you see anything let me know. I have very unattractive lines on my forehead from squinting too many years or at least that is what my wife says.
There is not much anyone can do if they insist on staying members of the working class. There are only so many traditional blue collar jobs. They are only going to pay so much so if you wish to cling to the old you will not prosper unless you are one of the needed ones. Of course these jobs have been outsourced they don't require extensive education or skill and can be done for much less over seas with the finished product shipped here. If we pay blue collar workers more then market price then the costs of goods will go up and we will scream inflation. When the price of goods go up the demand for those American goods will go down and poof there go the new jobs. However this campaign is now about Blue Collar America and how they will lead us into this new millenium.
I can hardly wait.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:46 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
What is so magical about the $60K income number for white voters? We keep hearing that Hillary is more popular with those under and Obama with those over? Does that dollar amount equate success in America? Understanding how to get a piece of the pie? Valuing education for their families? I am sorry but what impartial observer wouldn't think the most successful have a greater clue on what we need to continue to be a successful society?
Would you ask a Professional or a Blue Collar worker about how to best accomplish life's essentials?
Health
Income
Retirement
Education
Investments
Housing
What ever else rocks your boat.
Well, for one thing, it depends on the field as to how much a person makes - so a teacher will often make under $60,000 whereas a pipe fitter may make over $60,000. So I have never seen how those figures equate to education or blue collar vs. white collar.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:53 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme two View Post
thats their problem , NOT obama's

it is Obama's problem
HE NEEDS THEM TO WIN THE WHITE HOUSE
that is the whole problem of Obama
he thinks he can dazzel folks that like speeches
but those days are over with the big "rock star" drama
why do you think he is now holding " town home" meetings that Hillary is so good at
if he does not get the white blue collar voter that a lot of folks like to put down
he will never be elected
it is the same loopey statement he made when he laughed and said
"who needs Fla"
you do, stupid!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections