Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 09:32 PM

690 posts, read 1,015,561 times

Advertisements

I have been reading post after post tonight and while the topics may start out with good intentions (Like the guy who serves our country who simply asks to do research before picking a candidate) simply turn into nothing but hatred.
I am now seeing some of the most disgusting, vulgar, one sided posts that will certainly accomplish nothing! Some of these people actually sound worse than Rev Wright! Do you really think calling Hillary "Billary" a lier and posting links to some you tube video about sniper fire is going to cause someone to not vote for her? Do you think posting about "Nobama's" relation ship to a loony paster or to the weather underground is going to change an Obama supporter? Do you think that every time you point out a "McBush" flip flop that all of a sudden everybody who reads it is going to pick YOUR favorite candidate? I have to tell you...not likely! It all sounds pretty stupid eh? Real issues are hardly ever talked about here anymore...and you (you know who you are as I have been guilty in the past as well) should be ashamed of yourselves. This election is far too important for these hate filled side shows. I have read enough posts (It doesn't take many does it?) like most of you and have learned the names of the Hillary supporters, the Obama supporters, and the McCain supporters! This country has some real tough issues that our new president will have to face. It will not be easy for him or her. The divisions that are being created only destroy these candidates not only to us but to the rest of the world...and I am not talking about just the democratic party. If these divisions continue after a president is elected...if these division continue in congress, this country will fail, no matter who gets the job. Nothing will get done. I am NOT saying "why can't we all get along", but instead what I am saying is to please debate on the issues. Keep the childish name calling and hatred to yourselves...it only makes you look like a fool anyhow! Come to these forums and make good arguments and back them up, but also keep an open mind. Remember that as strongly as you feel about a candidate, the person who made the post before you feels the same way about their choice. Read what their argument is and see if you can show otherwise with facts. Heck, you may just learn something. And that...may really make someone change their vote!

I am off my soap box now. You won't see me post in here anymore, (not that anyone cares!) unless things change in here drastically. And don't worry...I know where the door is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 09:43 PM

775 posts, read 579,070 times
Oh what a party pooper.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:03 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Well, a couple of thoughts here.

First off, you're generally right here. The Obama and Clinton folks have really been going after each other, and it is a bit ironic because the candidates are actually pretty similar in their political voting and sentiments, and the Democrats are supposed to be the more understanding and compassionate party.

However, the campaigns are very volatile and attacking, with both playing a bit of dirty politics. I think overall the posters just kind of reflect the current political atmosphere.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out when the convention is over, if they put this behind them (though they generally will, there is a question about some defections) and come together for the general election.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:04 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
and the Democrats are supposed to be the more understanding and compassionate party.
This is a fallacy the dems/libs have fostered for years.

They are anything but understanding and compassionate.

It has been such a joy to see them air their dirty laundry and pull the old bones out of the closets for the whole nation to see.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:27 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
How's that phrase go...Those who talk most have the least to say.

That's pretty much these boards. There's a handful of people who are incapable of discussing anything that doesn't require a snap emotional judgement, and then posting that judgement again, and again, and again, and again. They don't read or comprehend a substantive response and thus it's impossible to have a real conversation in here.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:56 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Well, it's just a forum where people come to vent. Doubt any earth shattering decisions or events will ever come of it. I like the free-for-all and give and take between the libs and right wingnuts. I am lib on some things but mostly conservative, and enjoy reading others' views whether rational or not. Good entertainment, and it's free!

Old 05-04-2008, 07:01 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,158,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
How's that phrase go...Those who talk most have the least to say.
yep.................

Old 05-04-2008, 07:15 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
Let's not forget the folks who will do one of two things:

Talk about themselves or a friend who represents a contrarian viewpoint (e.g. "my friend is a democrat and is still voting for McCain, or my friend is a republican and is voting for Barack")

Artfully talking up their own life in an attempt to prove how good their life is. (e.g. "I own this and this", "I have this sort of job", etc). Of course, these stories are unverifiable

Old 05-04-2008, 07:16 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I like the free-for-all, too. In fact, I just gave up my membership to a private forum because it was all one-sided (boring)... and I don't like any of the presidential candidates.

But as far as the two Democrats go, I have two words - mud wrestling. No one is listening to where you stand on the issues or how you intend to accomplish what you want to do, so I say mud wrestle for the candidacy --- and may the best person win.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:25 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,025 times
There is a lack of civility on these discussion forums. On the subject of politics, in particular, people have become so polemic and so partisan that there is no place for argument anymore. The opposing party has become "the enemy." One cannot even agree to disagree for there is no tolerance for opposing views. It is a sad state of affairs when people can no longer even talk to each other without coming to blows.

But then this is nothing new in the history of politics. One of Octavian’s first acts as Triumvir was to add his friend, and mentor, Cicero, to the proscription lists to appease Antony, who had Cicero’s head and hands mounted on the Senate Rostra in the Forum Romanum. (A high price to pay for his Philippics!) And, in our own history, Alexander Hamilton might have lived to be President had he been more civil in his dealings with Aaron Burr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections