U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 11:14 AM

8,575 posts, read 6,320,927 times

Advertisements

how do we know that hanks truly endorses obama. maybe he was just acting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 12:08 PM

25,751 posts, read 38,919,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
how do we know that hanks truly endorses obama. maybe he was just acting.
I guess some actors need some publicity them self and this is free advertisement for them self....some call TMZ to let them know where they are going to eat. I guess TMZ wasn't interested in Tom Hanks

Old 05-06-2008, 08:50 PM

522 posts, read 1,171,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
Let's see, Obama gets endorsements from Tom Hanks, George Clooney, Bruce Springsteen and John Mellencamp and that's supposed to sway my vote...NOT! All of the aforementioned, except for Clooney, are has-beens (even Hanks). In about seven months, Obama will be the latest fad that wilted away. Maybe he can join Springsteen and Mellencamp in some sort of LiveAid concert next year.

Love or hate "Brangelina", at least THEY don't support presidential candidates.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:11 PM

775 posts, read 441,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
I didn't state anything about you not listening to Obama - I said you hadn't paid attention to what was promised and then actually accomplished during any of the past Presidential election cycles and terms. If you did make note of those things you would see how it is an impossibility that Obama will accomplish all of what he's promised within the next 4 years.

You made that polarizing comment regarding Hillary twice. Does that mean that you don't see the polarization that Obama brings to the table? He has invoked MLK many times in his speeches to blacks, while in his speeches to whites he typically describes the middle class plight and avoids racially-biased statements. You also can clearly see how his friend/mentor/advisor, Jeremiah Wright is pushing for blacks to vote for him because Obama understands the black man's history and plight (and will do something about it).

Your comment about Hillary's "gas proposal" (which is directly related to all the ridiculous Obama ads I've put up with the last few days when trying to read the local newspaper online - my state has its Primary today so I've been hearing Obama-everything lately) can be applied to the poor college student proposal you also mentioned. Do you realize that giving money above and beyond TAP and FAFSA-related Loans to poor college students does nothing to address the root of the College Tuition problem in the US today? Just like how a gas tax holiday won't solve the problem with high gas prices mid nor long-term, this idea of Obama's might appeal to you because perhaps it directly addresses something you just would like to have (who doesn't want free money?) but won't solve anything except cost US taxpayers more money. College tuition costs need to be handled directly, not via more Government handouts.

Lastly, I'm not on this thread to be all anti-Obama, I'm here because I feel like I've something worth sharing relevant to this whole celebrity endorsement nonsense. Why do people care who Tom Hanks endorses? I certainly don't. My reference to Tom's accomplishments was simply to point out that although the fellow may be a great actor with a lot of money, he isn't exactly a Mother Teresa doing public service for others nor any service for the US. What insight could Tom have into either the black man's history or even the middle class plight? He's not either, and to the best of my knowledge he's not spent significant time with either. It may be harsh to state, but it is rational to think this way, to be critical of who is stating what and why on behalf of any of the candidates.
You should read what I wrote. First of all, I didn't say he would accomplish ALL things; I spoke to what I believe he can accomplish and what is important to me - as all voters do. I don't think it's a handout to help a college student with tuition (and he has my blessings on raising my taxes if it helps to educate our kids which is productive to society) when he asks them to perform community service in return. Also, my kids are all graduates, so I still don't mind being taxed for a future generation. I also don't consider people working in return for something as "free money". And Obama is not for the gas tax holiday. That's McCain's thing with which Clinton agrees.

No. I don't see Obama at all as polarizing and though I've heard many other things said against him, that is not one of them because it's not accurate, and the examples you cite don't point that out.

I don't think Jeremiah Wright is pushing blacks to vote for Obama. Wherever did you get that? Wright himself said that Obama was speaking for political purposes; doesn't sound as if he favors Obama all that much or is pushing blacks to vote for him.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:53 PM

4,897 posts, read 7,826,090 times
Actually, these people endorsing Obama are highly talented in their fields. They are people who extremely hard working, commited, introspective, and highly respected by their peers. That tells me they are bright, and thinking people. It doesn't sway my vote, but it sure does help me to confirm it. Obama 2008 - Hope for America, in spite of ourselves. We're gonna need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections