U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2008, 02:21 PM

60 posts, read 70,440 times

Advertisements

Daily Kos: An Old Campaign In A New Digital Era
Quote:
The above is just a smattering of the materials available online which expose the real McCain -- the McCain who takes a position, then forgets taking said position, or denies taking said position, creating his own convenient reality along the way. And when McCain's words are set against McCain's words online -- as they are, for example, in this YouTube video, or this one, or this one -- the effect is devastating.

YouTube - John McCain vs. John McCain
YouTube - McCain Flip-Flops On Tax Cuts
YouTube - John McCain Flip Flops on Gay Marriage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 02:31 PM

439 posts, read 545,535 times
After McCain loses in November he will be know as the Flip flop kid.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:34 PM

60 posts, read 70,440 times
Dubya endorsed him to make himself look like Einstein

Old 05-04-2008, 03:00 PM

439 posts, read 545,535 times
Gosh he looks like that Adams off Get Smart in that photo. Too funny

Old 05-04-2008, 03:12 PM

9,715 posts, read 13,288,635 times
McCain has had a long political career. He is for common sense but he's also a politician. It's natural he's had a lot of flip flops and I think it's kind of stupid for anyone on DailyKos to go this route (but, of course they would -- most of them are very young and don't know any better).

If Obama (Ahem) had had a long career, he would have a lot of flip flops too -- but he doesn't have a long career. He's had a very SHORT career. This is why he is lacking in experience. He also has REFUSED TO TAKE A STAND, VOTING "PRESENT" much of his political career.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:51 PM

4,668 posts, read 8,906,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
McCain has had a long political career. He is for common sense but he's also a politician. It's natural he's had a lot of flip flops and I think it's kind of stupid for anyone on DailyKos to go this route (but, of course they would -- most of them are very young and don't know any better).

If Obama (Ahem) had had a long career, he would have a lot of flip flops too -- but he doesn't have a long career. He's had a very SHORT career. This is why he is lacking in experience. He also has REFUSED TO TAKE A STAND, VOTING "PRESENT" much of his political career.
Clearly you didn't bother reading these through. These aren't flip flops from 1989, when McCain was in favor of taking bribes from corrupt S&L associations to avoid investigation. No, these are examples of McCain directly contradicting John McCain of a few days, weeks, or months earlier.

Considering he went from a moderate Republican in 2000, where he found the Bush tax cuts deeply irresponsible, to flirting with the idea of switching parties in 2003, to the hard core right winger he is today, it's not hard to find examples of John McCain saying whatever, whenever, to please his new base.
One can only imagine the neverending stream of bullsh*t we're going to here if McCain ends up facing Clinton.

Quote:
Yesterday, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) told CNN that that President Bush’s escalation in Iraq is going so well, "General Petraeus goes out there almost every day in an unarmed humvee." On Monday, he told radio host Bill Bennett that there "are neighborhoods in Baghdad where you and I could walk through those neighborhoods, today."

This morning, during an interview with McCain, CNN’s John Roberts rebutted McCain’s assertions, stating, "I checked with General Petraeus’s people overnight and they said he never goes out in anything less than an up-armored humvee." He added that a new report by retired Gen. Barry McCaffrey "said no Iraqi government official, coalition soldier, diplomat reporter could walk the streets of Baghdad without heavily armed protection."

Faced with overwhelming evidence that he was wrong, McCain denied he’d ever said it: "Well, I’m not saying they could go without protection. The President goes around America with protection. So, certainly I didn’t say that."
Think Progress » Faced With Facts, McCain Denies His Own Straight Talk
Quote:
McCain said he didn’t know what his plans would be. "That’s why we need to go back," he said, "to have a conversation about what to do about it. Rebuild it? Tear it down? Ya know, whatever it is."

From North Carolina, Clinton seized the opportunity to attack. "Sen. McCain said he might want to tear down the Ninth Ward instead of rebuilding it," she said. "But I went to the Ninth Ward after Katrina and met with people there and saw the destruction and I saw the resilience in their eyes and they deserve our help to rebuild and regain their lives and their homes."

Steve Schmidt, a senior McCain aide, said Clinton’s attack was "inaccurate." "Sen. McCain has said the levees must be strengthened on time so people can make a decision on whether to return based on safety," he said, adding that he would like to see a "safe, vibrant community emerge" after the appropriate flood plan.

Even before Clinton made her comments, McCain had been asked to clarify. "I don’t remember ever saying it," he said Thursday afternoon on his way from Xavier University to the New Orleans airport.
Washington Wire - WSJ.com : Clinton Blasts McCain's Ninth Ward Remarks
Quote:
RUSSERT: Senator McCain, you have said repeatedly, "I know a lot less about economics than I do about military and foreign policy issues. I still need to be educated." Is it a problem for your campaign that the economy is now the most important issue, one that, by your own acknowledgement, you're not well-versed on?

McCAIN: Actually, I don't know where you got that quote from. I'm very well-versed in economics.
Media Matters - Wash. Post glossed over McCain's deception on lack of "economic expertise" comment
McCain, days earlier...

Quote:
'The issue of economics is not something I've understood as well as I should'
Media Matters - Ignoring response at debate, Matthews praised McCain's "candor" and "honest[y]" on economic knowledge
Quote:
ROUND 1: Do you think Saddam is a threat?

"I believe that Saddam Hussein presents clear and present danger to the United States of America with his continued pursuit of...to acquire weapons of mass destruction." [CNN Late Edition, 3/3/02]

"I never said that it was a, quote, clear and present danger because of weapons of mass destruction." [Hardball, 9/17/03]
Marc Ambinder (March 24, 2008) - McCain v. McCain

Quote:
As John McCain neared his momentous primary election victory in Florida after a ferocious campaign questioning his conservative credentials, right-wingers buzzed over word that he had privately suggested that Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito was too conservative. In response, McCain said he recalled saying no such thing and added that Alito was a "magnificent" choice. In fact, multiple sources confirm that the senator made negative comments about Alito nine months ago [...]

In a conference call with bloggers that day, McCain said, "I don't recall a conversation where I would have said that." He was "astonished" by the Alito quote, he said, and he repeatedly says at town meetings, "We're going to have justices like Roberts and Alito."
Robert D. Novak - Is McCain a Conservative? - washingtonpost.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or