Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 07:46 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,324 times

Advertisements

It has been lots of fun and entertainment watching the Hillary and Obama fans trash each other, well kind of. However some of the posts tonight really concern me. People are really taking this too seriously. I have been on this planet 52 years now and I can't really say that any President has had any real impact on my life with the exception of how much I pay in taxes. I have had a great time growing up in the 60s and 70s and I was not effected then. I bought my house during the Carter years and paid the price for the runaway interest rates but was able to refinance during the Reagan years. I enjoyed the dot com craze during the Clinton years and made a little money then. My house appreciated through the roof during the Bush years and I was able to buy a nice house in Texas mortgage free and put away a nice nest egg. What I am trying to say is that who is President does not change your life, how you raise you family, what type of car you buy, where you take your vacations etc.. You all need to take a chill pill and put things in perspective. It is not the end of the world no matter who wins. Some of you just need to grow up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 08:14 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,947,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
It has been lots of fun and entertainment watching the Hillary and Obama fans trash each other, well kind of. However some of the posts tonight really concern me. People are really taking this too seriously. I have been on this planet 52 years now and I can't really say that any President has had any real impact on my life with the exception of how much I pay in taxes. I have had a great time growing up in the 60s and 70s and I was not effected then. I bought my house during the Carter years and paid the price for the runaway interest rates but was able to refinance during the Reagan years. I enjoyed the dot com craze during the Clinton years and made a little money then. My house appreciated through the roof during the Bush years and I was able to buy a nice house in Texas mortgage free and put away a nice nest egg. What I am trying to say is that who is President does not change your life, how you raise you family, what type of car you buy, where you take your vacations etc.. You all need to take a chill pill and put things in perspective. It is not the end of the world no matter who wins. Some of you just need to grow up.
+1 Amen to that!

Old 05-06-2008, 08:17 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,262 times
i kind of agree, we havent elected a president thats actually done something for american people in 60 years

Old 05-06-2008, 09:03 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Quote:
As a member of the armed forces, I have a different perspective. Whoever is president can have a huge (possibly fatal) impact on me.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:17 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
As a member of the armed forces, I have a different perspective. Whoever is president can have a huge (possibly fatal) impact on me.
I think defense is the exception, but everything else will get caught up in the gridlock of congress.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:18 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,059 times
I agree with WestCobb. Just because your life hasn't been affected by a president's policy, doesn't mean that other people's lives haven't.

I am sure if you were in poverty and had to rely on public assistance during a change in presidencies, you might think differently. If you were a child in a music program in a public school that got cut to use the money for some other purpose, you might think differently.

If you made $900,000/yr. I am sure that you would see a change in lifestyles as tax policies change as well.

Everyone in this country is not the same.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:51 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Well, that's ok...you just stay nice and cozy in your tiny little cocoon and let the adult Americans take care of things. As long as you're safe and happy that's all that matters ...and that "thinking" thing ? That "looking in to issues in America" thing? That looking past the bumper sticker thing....Well, it can be very stressful for some so be sure you don't do too much of it.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:00 AM

4,147 posts, read 8,001,693 times
Quote:
Im on the young side an have not have had a long life experience yet but I also was not affected with a change in administration. I have been affected by the congress and our local government in Texas. The dems are foaming at the mouth this election and do not care if they ruin the country as long as they get the top office after loosing for so many years.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:09 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Im on the young side an have not have had a long life experience yet but I also was not affected with a change in administration. I have been affected by the congress and our local government in Texas. The dems are foaming at the mouth this election and do not care if they ruin the country as long as they get the top office after loosing for so many years.
So if they "ruin the country" (how?) it won't affect you anyway....being safe in Texas and all..

Maybe Texas , since it's so above average , so well run, should form it's own country????

Tom Delay.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:12 AM

4,147 posts, read 8,001,693 times
Have you seen the economy down here? Out of the top ten fastest growing metros Texas had 4. We also had the same 4 on the most recession proof metro's. We have some of the best real estate markets. Maybe the rest of the nation should watch and learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections