Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:41 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I had just heard people stating that the government had given the people syphilis when they just did not treat them for the syphilis. It is still unconscionable but people need to have the facts before they speak. Our government has done some pretty terrible things and I am always concerned about government and their interferrence in individual's lives. That is why we need to get governement out of our lives. We need to let then know that we want a little government as possible.
Syphilis is a contagious infection, so if you don't treat someone and this person transmits the bacteria to his wife or other sexual partners, then that is the same as directly causing infection in previously un-infected individuals. So it is correct to say that the government gave the victims syphilis by allowing the bacteria to spread through the population. If I was a sexual partner of the person who was a guinea pig in the experiment, it's as if the government directly infected me with the germs. There's no material difference between "not giving the treament" versus "directly causing the infection".

Old 05-07-2008, 10:47 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Syphilis is a contagious infection, so if you don't treat someone and this person transmits the bacteria to his wife or other sexual partners, then that is the same as directly causing infection in previously un-infected individuals. So it is correct to say that the government gave the victims syphilis by allowing the bacteria to spread through the population. If I was a sexual partner of the person who was a guinea pig in the experiment, it's as if the government directly infected me with the germs. There's no material difference between "not giving the treament" versus "directly causing the infection".
I won't argue with you but the governemnet did not take healthy people, give them Syphilis. I will say again what they did was horribly wrong but the facts are the facts.

Our current medical system in the US is guilty of denying all possible treatment to their patients day in and day out but I can not state that they are giving anything harmful to the people they treat they are just not doing everything possible like they should be. Again the facts are the facts.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:51 PM

437 posts, read 631,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
My dad reads the West Palm Beach and Ft Lauderdale papers from end to end every day. He also watches MSNBC and CNN for at least three hours a day. He is very well versed on political issues, and though we have our disagreements on some of the more significant issues, he certainly is articulate in discussing pros, cons and risks.

You can be informed, intelligent and an independent critical thinker and disagree with much of what Wright states. To lose my parents is really something, they are pretty solid Democrats.
Did you or did you not say that your parents based their opinions of snippets of Wright's speeches? I'm not interested in what your parents read, no more than you're interested in my literary habits.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:54 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times
Ok, I have asked several times that we attempt to remain on topic and apparently asking does nothing for folks here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections