U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 02:04 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,092,233 times

Advertisements

That is all I can say. The senate is about to vote on major taxes for big oil. That is what we need right know. Tax the hell out of the oil companies so they pass it one to us. What are they thinking.

I might be wrong but it is the same bill the house passed a few months ago.

House passes $18 billion in new taxes for Big Oil - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/02/27/energy.taxes.ap/index.html - broken link)

Old 05-07-2008, 02:09 PM

7,244 posts, read 13,142,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
That is all I can say. The senate is about to vote on major taxes for big oil. That is what we need right know. Tax the hell out of the oil companies so they pass it one to us. What are they thinking.

I might be wrong but it is the same bill the house passed a few months ago.

House passes $18 billion in new taxes for Big Oil - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/02/27/energy.taxes.ap/index.html - broken link)
Windfall profits. Soaring fuel prices. Billions of dollars in subsidies.

What do you propose?

Old 05-07-2008, 02:24 PM

4,831 posts, read 6,047,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Windfall profits. Soaring fuel prices. Billions of dollars in subsidies.

What do you propose?
How about to allow drilling right here in the good ole USA. Can you imagine if the major oil producing countries had our government's attitude regarding drilling? Half of the world's oil supply would not exist.

I am not a fan of the oil industry but 2 wrongs never make a right and the government is so wrong when it comes to energy policy. They are completely out of touch with the rest of the world when it comes to energy and how to best get it.

I also think we are purposely not exploring our oil filed potential because we want it to be there when the rest of the world runs out. I know, sounds like a conspiracy!

Old 05-07-2008, 02:27 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,266,772 times
we already DO drill here...but we reserve some of it, and sell most of it to OTHER countries, instead of retaining it ALL for ourselves.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:35 PM

7,244 posts, read 13,142,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
How about to allow drilling right here in the good ole USA. Can you imagine if the major oil producing countries had our government's attitude regarding drilling? Half of the world's oil supply would not exist.

I am not a fan of the oil industry but 2 wrongs never make a right and the government is so wrong when it comes to energy policy. They are completely out of touch with the rest of the world when it comes to energy and how to best get it.

I also think we are purposely not exploring our oil filed potential because we want it to be there when the rest of the world runs out. I know, sounds like a conspiracy!
I agree that we're wrong on energy policy, but for a different reason. We should be using our resources to get OFF of oil. We have them at our disposal. Unfortunately, we're giving so much in subsidies to fossil fuels, we don't have a truly level playing field for capital-intensive grid-energy resources.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:43 PM

Do you not think that they will pass it down to maintain their profits?

Old 05-07-2008, 02:47 PM

654 posts, read 1,080,416 times
Wonderful. Tax the oil companies even more than they are taxed already and watch gas prices (along with the prices for virtually everything else) go through the roof. If you think gas and food prices are high now, wait until the dem Senate takes even more in taxes from oil companies.

And I absolutely, positively guarantee without a shadow of a doubt that the lefties will blame Bush/republicans for the coming tax induced disaster, and that the MSM will be out front leading the charge.

The left and the MSM desperately want a recession in time for the November elections, and now it appears as if they are going to make sure we get one.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:52 PM

At least Bush is still their to veto this.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:57 PM

654 posts, read 1,080,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
At least Bush is still their to veto this.
I don't trust Bush with vetoes. He should have vetoed the odious McCain-Feingold Bill which is a direct assault on the First Amendment, but he did not.

But there is still hope the this won't make it through both the House and Senate.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:15 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,687,600 times
Babies also cry when they are weaned off their mother's milk and made to eat solid food.

So goes the gradual weaning of our society off it's petrolium dependency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or