Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:18 AM

1,316 posts, read 2,454,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpow View Post
His tax proposal involves the largest tax increase in american history. That is his plan to pay for "change."
Yah, well we can stick with a continued Bush Administration and give huge tax breaks for the wealthiest people. Look where it's taken this country? IN HUGE DEBT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 10:21 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,904,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
I'm an Obama supporter; and those are all fair questions you ask.

While O.G. posted the link to Obama's website for outlines of his plans, I'll admit that the details are floating around out there that need to be given greater attention. And Barack needs to stop answering questions about Wright, and start answering the questions that you're asking.
I have to give you kudos for an honest, thoughtful answer rather than the racist, degrading comments that many of the Obama supporters give. I also agree that if he wants to win the election he should ignore the garbage and start putting a plan out there with details. He needs to win over the independents and moderates and having a concise plan would surely do this. He needs to rise above the rhetoric many of his supporters are blasting and start acting like a future President of the people. If he does that he will have no problems. I am saying this honestly because I am really not an Obama supporter but I know what people, expecially civil people, that want change would like to hear. Would I vote for him? Probably not, my vote this year will definitely be a protest vote against the political system in general.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:32 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,812,258 times
A very dear friend of mine recently had a very scary experience with the health care system. She is covered by insurance and had gotten her treatment preapproved. What was supposed to be an out patient surgery turned into a 4 day/3 night stay in the hospital (due to physician error) for which she was billed over $50,000 and her insurance refused to pay. She is left with no option but to sue. I personally feel that controlling health care costs is the issue more than getting everyone covered by insurance which may when all is said and done refuse to pay. How can anyone justify a $50,000 bill for 3 night stay in the hospital?

Old 05-08-2008, 11:18 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,812,258 times
I read most of the information on the website posted by Old Gringo. While I agree with many of the proposals (particularly energy related which should have been started 20 years ago), there is no information given as to how to fund these changes. The only thing I have heard is increase the taxes on the "wealthy". Depending on how "wealthy" is defined, I find it hard to believe that will generate enough money to fund all these changes. This leaves one with the sometimes whispered option of taking profits from drug companies and oil companies. This would be in total opposition to the foundation of this country's capitalistic economy. So where does the money come from?

Old 05-08-2008, 11:22 AM

540 posts, read 959,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
I read most of the information on the website posted by Old Gringo. While I agree with many of the proposals (particularly energy related which should have been started 20 years ago), there is no information given as to how to fund these changes. The only thing I have heard is increase the taxes on the "wealthy". Depending on how "wealthy" is defined, I find it hard to believe that will generate enough money to fund all these changes. This leaves one with the sometimes whispered option of taking profits from drug companies and oil companies. This would be in total opposition to the foundation of this country's capitalistic economy. So where does the money come from?
I don't remember who it was, but one economist made the comment that to fund all of his projects, Obama is going to need to find a lot more wars to end and a lot more rich people to raise taxes on than what the US currently has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections