Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 08:20 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,819,739 times

Advertisements

Now that it appears that Obama will be the Democratic candidate in November, can anyone who is an Obama supporter tell me what Obama wants to do (other than CHANGE) once he is elected. Change is all well and good but can anyone give me a list of what his top priorities are and how he intends to fund them. Fix the health care system -- How?? Get out of Iraq -- How?? Fix the economy -- How?? Stop people from losing their homes -- How?? What else?? I am presently open to either candidate since I am an independent, but I would like to know more about what Obama wants to do and how he plans to pay for it. I am asking this question because it seems that the democratic race thus far has not focused on issues but personalities and race/gender. I would like to know more about these issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 08:24 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Barack Obama | Change We Can Believe In | Home

Old 05-08-2008, 08:45 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
Now that it appears that Obama will be the Democratic candidate in November, can anyone who is an Obama supporter tell me what Obama wants to do (other than CHANGE) once he is elected. Change is all well and good but can anyone give me a list of what his top priorities are and how he intends to fund them. Fix the health care system -- How?? Get out of Iraq -- How?? Fix the economy -- How?? Stop people from losing their homes -- How?? What else?? I am presently open to either candidate since I am an independent, but I would like to know more about what Obama wants to do and how he plans to pay for it. I am asking this question because it seems that the democratic race thus far has not focused on issues but personalities and race/gender. I would like to know more about these issues.
I'm an Obama supporter; and those are all fair questions you ask.

While O.G. posted the link to Obama's website for outlines of his plans, I'll admit that the details are floating around out there that need to be given greater attention. And Barack needs to stop answering questions about Wright, and start answering the questions that you're asking.

857 posts, read 2,002,375 times
http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/Obama...tForChange.pdf

317 posts, read 496,360 times
His tax proposal involves the largest tax increase in american history. That is his plan to pay for "change."

Old 05-08-2008, 08:49 AM

540 posts, read 962,709 times
Fix Healthcare - Have the government pay more for health insurance than what it would cost individuals to purchase it themselves.

Get out of Iraq - Ignore the generals on the big picture and pull out two Brigades each month despite the erosion of all gains and the increased losses of troops. Leave behind the 6-10 Marine Embassy Guards to protect all of our diplomats as the country falls into chaos.

Fix the Economy - Increase taxes on all people that are "not middle class or in poverty" so that they stop spending money. Raise taxes on business so that more big companies move their operations overseas and small businesses can't hire more people.

Housing - Take the money that we'll save by pulling out of Iraq (money that doesn't actually exist) and bail out everybody.

Last edited by trzlucky; 05-08-2008 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: grammer

Old 05-08-2008, 08:57 AM

793 posts, read 2,213,697 times
I would have to ask the how question to McCain as well. So far I haven't heard any concrete solution or plans for the economy, and health care for neither candidates

Old 05-08-2008, 08:59 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trzlucky View Post
Fix Healthcare - Have the government pay more for health insurance than what it would cost individuals to purchase it themselves.

Get out of Iraq - Ignore the generals on the big picture and pull out two Brigades each month despite the erosion of all gains and the increased losses of troops. Leave behind the 6-10 Marine Embassy Guards to protect all of our diplomats as the country falls into chaos.

Fix the Economy - Increase taxes on all people that are "not middle class or in poverty" so that they stop spending money. Raise taxes on business so that more big companies move their operations overseas and small businesses can't hire more people.

Housing - Take the money that we'll save by pulling out of Iraq (money that doesn't actually exist) and bail out everybody.

This is what Obama will do in the distorted minds of perpetually uninformed right-wingers. Among other things, this is a great read to understand Obama's views on one of my great concerns of the past 8 years - rapidly expanding Executive Power.

Boston.com - Special reports - News

Interesting to note the differences between Obama's answers and McCain's. Outside of a few issues, McCain has no intentions of diverting us from dangerous executive powergrab of the Bush Administration.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:13 AM

58 posts, read 92,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
This is what Obama will do in the distorted minds of perpetually uninformed right-wingers. Among other things, this is a great read to understand Obama's views on one of my great concerns of the past 8 years - rapidly expanding Executive Power.

Boston.com - Special reports - News

Interesting to note the differences between Obama's answers and McCain's. Outside of a few issues, McCain has no intentions of diverting us from dangerous executive powergrab of the Bush Administration.
I just read the article. Now I know that I can't vote for anyone else.
A man that will follow the rule of law. WOW Think of that.

I think you are talking about the 28% that gets its information from Rush or Hannity. All you have to do is watch faux news to understand where they are coming from.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:13 AM

540 posts, read 962,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
This is what Obama will do in the distorted minds of perpetually uninformed right-wingers.
Please show me where it is distorted?

Healthcare - He wants to implement a plan similar to what Congress get's. This shows what the government pays for Federal employee's healthcare http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/08r...non_postal.pdf. Then go to Health Insurance, Medical Insurance, Individual Health Insurance Quotes to see how much less you, as an individual, can purchase that healthcare.

Iraq - He said in the last debate that he would listen to his generals on tactics, but when it comes down to overall strategy the buck stops with him and that the pullout continues. He previously said that he would leave military behind to protect diplomats - "just like we do at our Embassies around the world." I was a Marine that guarded those embassies - guess what. We weren't there to protect diplomats - we were there to protect classified material. Most Embassies have 6 Marines. The largest detachment is 34 Marines - not anywhere in the ballpark of what would be needed to protect an embassy in the middle of the civil war that will take place under an Obama Presidency. That statement of his is just another example of his inexperience and lack of working knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections