Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 09:14 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,056,842 times

Advertisements

As far as Obama being a Muslim I have seen evidence that would lead to believe he is, but I haven't researched or read enough about that to come to a decision yet on that one....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 09:18 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,819,739 times
In defense of Kristy, she is probably too young to have first hand recollection of the Vietnam War and possibly when she heard the place where POWs were imprisoned called the Hanoi Hilton, she assumed that it was a regular hotel and it didn't take much of a leap for her to believe the propaganda about the prostitutes. Unfortunately I am old enough to remember the war vividly and had classmates from high school and college who did not return from the war.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
In defense of Kristy, she is probably too young to have first hand recollection of the Vietnam War and possibly when she heard the place where POWs were imprisoned called the Hanoi Hilton, she assumed that it was a regular hotel and it didn't take much of a leap for her to believe the propaganda about the prostitutes. Unfortunately I am old enough to remember the war vividly and had classmates from high school and college who did not return from the war.
I find that statement really offensive and hurtful... I have tried to be civil and not judge anyone based on their age, race, or political preference ect... and I don't appreciate being made fun of as some uneducated young person.

My uncle fought and served in Vietnam and is lucky to be alive today, my father was in the marines during the Iranian hostage crisis and a nationalguardsman during the first gulf war. My parents spoke openly with me about the Vietnam war and always encouraged me to educate myself on this country's history and the wars that have been fought...

I know what the Hanoi Hilton is, and I knew it is not referring to the actual modern day "Hilton"

Old 05-14-2008, 09:40 PM

Dear, I was not trying to hurt your feelings. Actually I was trying to justify why you would have come to the conclusion that you did. But it was never my intent to hurt your feelings.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Dear, I was not trying to hurt your feelings. Actually I was trying to justify why you would have come to the conclusion that you did. But it was never my intent to hurt your feelings.
ok, I apologize for the misunderstanding...

I just hope that age isn't a factor, since the day I was able to legally vote I have made it my mission to become as educated as possible, and go against the grain.

I am not the typical "young person" that parties, doesn't engage themselves politically...

I am very passionate about educating oneself and I thought it was a slam because of my age..

If I misunderstood you, then sorry about that...

Old 05-14-2008, 09:48 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristynwy View Post
As far as Obama being a Muslim I have seen evidence that would lead to believe he is
Q: Even if he were a Muslim...so what?

I swear as the days go by, I feel more and more like we're back in the 1950s.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:51 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,433,628 times
well if you look at the 'vietnam vets against mccain site' they provide a bunch of links and a disclaimer at the bottom of the homepage which states they bear no responsibility for the truth or accuracy of their links.they try to have it both ways too.some links on the site question mccains mental fitness for president due to the intense torture and brain washing he was forced to endure for 5.5 years....they then post other links which downplay his hero story based on 2nd and 3rd hand accounts they heard.a lot of people are disgruntled pow/mia families who dont feel he gave the mia issue the importance he should have years after the war ended.they bash john kerry a lot on the site too......i'm sorry kristy,i generally enjoy your wyoming related posts,and i dont like the thought of john mccain becoming president,[or obama or hillary],but your statement about mccain staying in a hotel with prostitutes for 5 years while a pow is the silliest 'internet rumor' ive heard yet about anyone in this presidential race,and there have been some pretty silly ones.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:00 PM

Thank you Imbobbbb

And 18Montclair I was not trying to indicate that I thought the Obama/muslim rumors were correct or to make any judgements even if they were true.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:06 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Thank you Imbobbbb

And 18Montclair I was not trying to indicate that I thought the Obama/muslim rumors were correct or to make any judgements even if they were true.
???

I was just wondering why kristywy would hold that against him?

Old 05-14-2008, 10:14 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
An investigation by PolitiFact.com into those claims against McCain generally shows them to be exaggerated. Being captive and tortured he told some information, claiming to mix in fact with deliberate errors. Others who were captured claim to have done similar disclosures to their captors when pressed for information.

When things like this occur I try to see if there is a logical motive behind the claims. In this case the folks who came up with this didn't personally know McCain at that time, but were angry about his subsequent willingness (as a politician) to establish normalized relations with Viet Nam:

In an echo of the attacks from the 2000 South Carolina primary that dealt a critical blow to Sen. John McCain’s presidential campaign, a new flyer says the Arizona senator is a traitor.

It says that when he was a POW, McCain was a “Hanoi Hilton songbird” who collaborated with the enemy.

But it provides scant evidence to back up this claim and it is strongly contradicted by many other accounts reviewed by PolitiFact: interviews with other POWs

PolitiFact | No evidence McCain was a traitor
18Montclair, since this is your own thread, what criticism do you have of the analysis done above?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections