Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 02:49 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times

Advertisements

First of all, congratulations to Hillary on an excellent speech and a decisive win. She came extremely close to the 70% bar--that's quite an accomplishment. She proved that women candidates have the cajones to put up a good fight.

And now comes the interesting part.

Today, or maybe in the next few days, a few dramatic things may happen.

1) If Hillary is going to pull out a surprise win, she needs a flood of superdelegates today.

2) However, a flood of superdelegates would not help Barack right now. It would be seen as bullying and would alienate the voters Hillary just won. Barack's camp needs to show respect and allow a few days for Clinton fans to celebrate their victory. I predict Superdelegates will be trickling in for Barack over the next few days, and then the flood will hit after Oregon/Kentucky. That way they don't alienate the WV voters.

3) At least one of the three candidates (Obama, Clinton, or McCain) is likely to step up and do something "presidential" in the next few days. Visiting a disaster area is a possibility, although that needs to be handled carefully. Releasing a detailed plan could work, too. If Obama makes a major announcement or does something decisive, he will clinch the vote.

4) But, this is also the time one of the candidates could slip up big time.

5) And finally, Hillary played the race card to get WV, but now that the WV race is over she has a big mess to clean up with the AA community. She needs to do some major back pedaling or butt kissing. It will be interesting to see what she does.

Lots of intriguing things to watch unfold over the next week....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 03:17 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times
This is an interesting take on the Superdelegates; however, I disagree. This is the perfect time for a strong showing from the SuperDelegates and here's why.

The next few years will not be for the timid. If you are a Congressman or politician during these times, the time and place for timidity are gone.

America stands at a time in her history, in the midst of what much of the World believes is a critical step. How do we intend to take this step? With boldness, as did our forefathers? Or with timid steps that cater to those we publicly exclaim no longer represent the America we wish to represent in the World?

WV has shown us something. We should all take heed that we have strides to make regarding how accepting we are of those that do not agree with how well we perform, based upon the color of our skin. It is a travesty that we make decisions based upon race and sex, when it is clearly illogical. This has become our great opportunity, to not only learn, but to teach as well.

The time for timidity is over. America's citizens need a clear beacon, one that shines through the fog of War, Economic woes and racial antipathy, a torch truly representative of what we, the American citizens, will and will not stand for, so that we can reclaim our place in the World as the anchor of Liberty and Justice, and bring Honor back to the American Way.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
1) If Hillary is going to pull out a surprise win, she needs a flood of superdelegates today.
I forgot to add that I don't think she'll be able to do it. But it will be fascinating to watch.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:32 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post

Not gonna happen. Most people in the upper ranks of the DNC know that West Virginia's primary is not a bellweather as to the mood of the party as a whole.

It makes for great sensationalistic cable news shows, but from a practical standpoint, doesnt change anything as far as momentum.

Hillary Clinton, I fear, will seek to take this all the way to the party convention where she will appeal directly to delegates with one mantra:

"I'm the only won who can win working class whites-so even though Barack Obama has more popular votes and more delegates, I should be the nominee, and if you dont pick me, I cant guarantee which way all my angry white supporters will vote in November".

Old 05-14-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
This is an interesting take on the Superdelegates; however, I disagree. This is the perfect time for a strong showing from the SuperDelegates and here's why.

The next few years will not be for the timid. If you are a Congressman or politician during these times, the time and place for timidity are gone.

America stands at a time in her history, in the midst of what much of the World believes is a critical step. How do we intend to take this step? With boldness, as did our forefathers? Or with timid steps that cater to those we publicly exclaim no longer represent the America we wish to represent in the World?

WV has shown us something. We should all take heed that we have strides to make regarding how accepting we are of those that do not agree with how well we perform, based upon the color of our skin. It is a travesty that we make decisions based upon race and sex, when it is clearly illogical. This has become our great opportunity, to not only learn, but to teach as well.

The time for timidity is over. America's citizens need a clear beacon, one that shines through the fog of War, Economic woes and racial antipathy, a torch truly representative of what we, the American citizens, will and will not stand for, so that we can reclaim our place in the World as the anchor of Liberty and Justice, and bring Honor back to the American Way.
I completely agree--especially with your comments on racism.

It's disturbing--very disturbing--to see a candidate play the race card in this day and age. Even more disturbing to see that it works. Your point was very well stated, indeed.

I agree that the time for timidity is over. That's why Barack needs to step up and do something "presidential" now. He needs to show he is a leader.

But you can be strong, and still be patient. Barack is going to win over the rust belt by stepping back the focus on SDs for a day or two. I think the rust belt voters mistrust the whole superdelegate idea, anyway. Seems elitist, you know. Instead, Barack needs to do decisive things like unrolling the manufacturing proposal that he presented in Michigan. He did that first thing this morning. Good move.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Hillary Clinton, I fear, will seek to take this all the way to the party convention
She has quite a challenge if this is the route she chooses. She must appeal to an audience that thinks getting $70 from a gas tax holiday is a big deal. At the same time she must convince that audience to donate a big chunk of money to her campaign.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post

The next few years will not be for the timid. If you are a Congressman or politician during these times, the time and place for timidity are gone.The time for timidity is over. America's citizens need a clear beacon, one that shines through the fog of War, Economic woes and racial antipathy, a torch truly representative of what we, the American citizens, will and will not stand for, so that we can reclaim our place in the World as the anchor of Liberty and Justice, and bring Honor back to the American Way.
This would make a great speech. In fact, it's almost as good as Edwards' speech. If he needs an extra writer, I'm telling him about you!

Boy, getting an endorsement from Edwards was just as good as a whole flood of superdelegates. Better, because he's a southerner from the Appalachian foothills--Seneca, SC, just down the way from me. Folksy, down to earth--not someone who would be considered "left coast" or "elitist." An intelligent, well spoken man from small town America. Exactly what was needed.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:17 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,839,947 times
Add the fact that Edwards has now endorsed Obama. This is a huge blow to Hillbilly, but perhaps not totally unexpected. However it does put her back on her heels and makes the WV primary a distant memory. This could assure Obama's nomination.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:27 PM

580 posts, read 1,681,126 times
I support Hillary Clinton
Next week many, including myself is looking forward to Kentucky and Oregon primaries. If Hillary Clinton can pull out well in those states, the math just gets easier.
Woot Hillary

Old 05-14-2008, 10:31 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,615,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Michigan View Post
I support Hillary Clinton
Next week many, including myself is looking forward to Kentucky and Oregon primaries. If Hillary Clinton can pull out well in those states, the math just gets easier.
Woot Hillary
Wow, the Obamkins cannot stand to hear that. If she wins the next two states he should resign.

People had better wake up, she is the front runner and believe me the supers are just blowing wind. In the end they know Obama cannot win the key states and they know she can.

Go ahead Supers, if you go for Obama and lose in November you have just destroyed the democratic party with poor choices and bad decisions. Seems that is what the new democratic party is all about these days, poor choices and bad decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections