Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 05:02 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Seriously. Come off it, guys. It was a slightly outmoded comment, and it's diminutive, but there is such a thing as a difference in magnitude. "Sweetie" is not the same as that particular racist slur. It's simply not.

To be honest, all the false outrage this stupid primary season has caused is starting to give me a headache.

I agree.
If the reporter wasn't offended why is anyone else?

Here's a repeat of a Golden Rule - Know your audience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 05:40 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,928,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Nah just look at your wife and say yeah I still have it.
That is funny, that is what she told me! It is nice to be old with enough wisdom to enjoy the little things in life while you still can.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:55 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Very true. As I said, can you imagine the outrage if a white man called Michelle Obama "sweetie?"

But this just smacks of the "old guard." Twenty years ago, when I was a young reporter fresh out of college and working in NH, I was "sweetied" and "honeyed" quite a bit by the older politicians. I'd just roll my eyes.

The younger candidates knew better, though, and didn't call the females cutesy names. Obama claims he's a new kind of politician, a voice for change, blah-blah-blah. But things like this prove otherwise -- he's a typical politician.
Isn't it also a way to intimidate a person who is asking him a question. IMO it is not done.

I just saw the Nobama stating he would win a debate against Bush and McCain, well let's wait and see how good Nobama is when he has to face McCain by him self.....

Old 05-16-2008, 06:07 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Some historical thoughts on Presidential debate.

When George Meets John

Old 05-17-2008, 09:28 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,581,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
In addition, we're not talking about Joe Average using the term "sweetie" while ordering coffee at a diner. This is Obama, a presidential candidate and a Harvard Law School graduate. He is to be our great unifer and is known for his speaking skills. And to be a great unifer, one can't be using demeaning and divisive terms like "sweetie" and that goes back to prior discussions about sexism being not as big a crime as racism.

And also it shows that Obama considers himself a better class than the people of the press corps. But he's applying to be our president, not our king. This is America where we are all suppose to be equal.

And maybe it's a Chicago thing, but I don't hear "sweetie" in my paths of travel outside my house. The only person allowed to say "sweetie" to me is my boyfriend.

Y'all need to hang out in the south more often.. "Sweetie" is used everywhere, and no one complains about it, male or female. It's just the way it is. Clearly this reporter got her panties in a wad for no good reason. Oh well, I guess that's what happens when we live in a super-sensitive society where folks can get offended over anything nowadays

Old 05-17-2008, 09:32 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,819,235 times
Unfortunately I don't think Obama has hung out in the south enough for that to explain the "sweetie" comment.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
Unfortunately I don't think Obama has hung out in the south enough for that to explain the "sweetie" comment.
You're probably right.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:18 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
Y'all need to hang out in the south more often.. "Sweetie" is used everywhere, and no one complains about it, male or female. It's just the way it is. Clearly this reporter got her panties in a wad for no good reason. Oh well, I guess that's what happens when we live in a super-sensitive society where folks can get offended over anything nowadays
Geez... again, the reporter got her "panties in a bunch" because Obama avoiding answering her "tough question" and if Obama didn't do anything wrong, why did he call her up to apologize for 1. not answering her question (which he still didn't answer) and 2. calling her sweetie. Obviously, someone thought he needed to rectify the situation and so he did.

And the phrase "panties in a bunch" is also very sexist and demeaning. Just like that guy yelling at Hillary to go iron his shirts in NH.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:23 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Obama's comments here remind me of Huckabee making a not so great joke that he likely didn't even realize at the time of which context others would make it out to be. A huge and massive non-issue in which American's will clamor over one another trying to see some great mystical significance in why the chicken crossed the road.

Good grief, this is what American politics has regressed to? Might as well get out your astrology charts and see what the stars have to say about all this... oy

Old 05-17-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And the phrase "panties in a bunch" is also very sexist and demeaning. Just like that guy yelling at Hillary to go iron his shirts in NH.
How is that phrase "sexist and demeaning"? Again, you just proved my point that folks are way too sensitive these days over anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections