Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 06:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,372 times

Advertisements

from Billings MT

Quote:
“Iran is a grave threat. It has an illicit nuclear program. It supports terrorism across the region and militias in Iraq. It threatens Israel’s existence. It denies the Holocaust,” he said. “The reason Iran is so much more powerful than it was a few years ago is because of the Bush-McCain policy of fighting in Iraq and refusing to pursue direct diplomacy with Iran. They’re the ones who have not dealt with Iran wisely.”
That's different from what he said in Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 06:57 AM

540 posts, read 962,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Why dont you post the whole sentence? Oh right, then it wouldnt be fun.

This is from - gasp - Fox:

Obama: "I mean think about it. Iran, Cuba, Venezuela - these countries are tiny compared to the Soviet Union. They don't pose a serious threat to us the way the Soviet Union posed a threat to us. And yet we were willing to talk to the Soviet Union at the time when they were saying we're going to wipe you off the planet. And ultimately that direct engagement led to a series of measures that helped prevent nuclear war, and over time allowed the kind of opening that brought down the Berlin Wall. Now, that has to be the kind of approach that we take." (Sen. Barack Obama, Remarks At A Campaign Event, Pendelton, OR, 5/18/08)

Obama: "You know, Iran, they spend one-one hundredth of what we spend on the military. If Iran ever tried to pose a serious threat to us, they wouldn't stand a chance." (Sen. Barack Obama, Remarks At A Campaign Event, Pendelton, OR, 5/18/08)

Apparently Obama still thinks that we live in the Cold War era and that the biggest threat from Iran would be through conventional warfare. That just isn't the case. They have proxies throughout the world in Hezbollah that do their dirty work - they are the ones that would be the most dangerous should Iran develop a nuclear weapons capability. The size of our military wouldn't make a bit of difference against a dirty bomb smuggled up from Latin America.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:04 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
This will make a great campaign ad. Kinda like the Kerry "I voted for it before I voted against it".

Sweet.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:08 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
I dont think you all are reading the entire texts of both speeches. It's not a flip-flop.

facta, Im not switching facts or making an ad hominem attack. I dont do that, and wouldnt. That's not even what ad hominem means.

trzlucky, he knows that about the dirty bomb threat and the proxies. He also knows they expect to stay alive themselves.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:11 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,827,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
This blog post is just too funny:

By The Fault » Blog Archive » Make Up Your Mind (http://www.bythefault.com/2008/05/20/make-up-your-mind/ - broken link)

Some of us do pay attention:

Barack Obama, last night in Portland, on Iran: “They don’t pose a serious threat to us.”

Barack Obama, earlier on the afternoon of May 19th, in Billings, Montana, on Iran: “I’ve made it clear for years that the threat from Iran is grave.”

Hahahahahaha!!! YES! CHANGE YOU CAN BELIEVE IN!!!!!
Obama want to be all things to all people. Like the guy who tries to sell you on a fantastic new dream home only to later discover he's never held a hammer. Will the majority see this by Nov is the question? They'll most definately see it shortly after. . . . he has no experience at leading anything; town, county, state. . . . even a local school board. Just talk that many hope they can believe in.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:32 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
Quote:
I dont think you all are reading the entire texts of both speeches. It's not a flip-flop.
Fortunately, the person who wrote the blog included the videos of both speeches.

It appears that Obama wants to be everything for everyone. He'll say anything to win. Typical politician.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:34 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,928,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Seems like you may be putting together some of the sound bites for the election...
That would be a good sound bite and probably pretty effective. It would show his lack of......

Old 05-21-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:

facta, Im not switching facts or making an ad hominem attack. I dont do that, and wouldnt. That's not even what ad hominem means.

trzlucky, he knows that about the dirty bomb threat and the proxies. He also knows they expect to stay alive themselves.
Nice try to cover up.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:40 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Nice try to cover up.
whatever. I know you all do it but I dont. Check my other posts and see for yourself.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
whatever. I know you all do it but I dont. Check my other posts and see for yourself.
Okay we will give you the benefit of the doubt. You just made a mistake.

Originally Posted by delusianne
Why dont you post the whole sentence? Oh right, then it wouldnt be fun.

This is from - gasp - Fox:

Obama: "I mean think about it. Iran, Cuba, Venezuela - these countries are tiny compared to the Soviet Union. They don't pose a serious threat to us the way the Soviet Union posed a threat to us. And yet we were willing to talk to the Soviet Union at the time when they were saying we're going to wipe you off the planet. And ultimately that direct engagement led to a series of measures that helped prevent nuclear war, and over time allowed the kind of opening that brought down the Berlin Wall. Now, that has to be the kind of approach that we take." (Sen. Barack Obama, Remarks At A Campaign Event, Pendelton, OR, 5/18/08)

Obama: "You know, Iran, they spend one-one hundredth of what we spend on the military. If Iran ever tried to pose a serious threat to us, they wouldn't stand a chance." (Sen. Barack Obama, Remarks At A Campaign Event, Pendelton, OR, 5/18/08)

He may have said that in PENDELTON, OR on MAY 18th, but the videos and the quotes are from PORTLAND, OR and BILLINGS, MT on MAY 19th. Yours is ad hominen attack. You are switching the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections