Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 11:59 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times

Advertisements

Democrats file suit to seat Florida delegates - 05/22/2008 - MiamiHerald.com (broken link)

Quote:
The suit, filed by Senate Democratic Leader Steve Geller and other prominent Democrats in Fort Lauderdale, claims the federal Voting Rights Act, the Civil Rights-era law that requires the U.S. Justice Department to approve any significant voting change in Florida to make sure it doesn't disenfranchise black voters, prohibits the national party from stripping the state of its convention delegates.
Ohhhh, is this delicious, or what?

Take it all the way to the convention floor Hill&Bill!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 12:03 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
[quote=sanrene;3849667]Democrats file suit to seat Florida delegates - 05/22/2008 - MiamiHerald.com (broken link)
[quote]

Awwww Hillary... this is gonna backfire. You'll win the battle but lose the war. You were doing so well, don't let your team blow it for you like this.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:47 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Sounds like this will be very interesting. I can actaully see where it may change party politcs for sometime.I am sure they can counter many party leaders on what they say now with what they said after the 2000 election about disinfranchising voters.I see nothing that say hillary is filing the suit in the release.Thsi may just put florida and michigan voters in to a protest mood.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:50 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,827,174 times
What a mess. The people that want to run our healthcare and negotiate with world leaders can't run an election for a highschool homecoming queen.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:52 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
The irony and hypocrisy is just amazing. The democrat party, the party of infranchisement, one vote, count every vote, every vote counts - is going to disenfranchise MILLIONS of voters.

Can I just say how pleased I am that the democrat party is showing the world what they truly believe in?

Thanks.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:57 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,928,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
The irony and hypocrisy is just amazing. The democrat party, the party of infranchisement, one vote, count every vote, every vote counts - is going to disenfranchise MILLIONS of voters.

Can I just say how pleased I am that the democrat party is showing the world what they truly believe in?

Thanks.
I don't really delight in this but it is funny.

If the Republican party had stayed on the straight and narrow and not morphed into pseudo Democrats I would be overjoyed.

Alas this election is really not about the best candidate.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I see nothing that say hillary is filing the suit in the release.
She will be held responsible, though, because she's the one who was forcing the issue. I don't mean legally responsible--I mean it will permanently tick off some important people.

If she claims she didn't want it to happen, she loses her argument that she's a leader who accomplishes her goals. And... if she claims she couldn't control the actions of people in Florida that makes her look weak.

If she claims she did want it to happen, she angers a good percentage of the dnc. The remaining superdelegates aren't the type to be impressed or intimidated by lawsuits--but IMO they could get annoyed.

If she claims she didn't know about it, she loses her argument that she's a capable person who's on top of things. And she reminds voters too much of the worst moments in Bill's presidency.

She may claim she knew about it, but thought it was the "right" of the individuals to file a suit if they wish. Safe argument, but makes her look wombly and hurts her chances of landing a plumb spot after the election. Turns voters off, and she'll lose the GE even if she does somehow force the nomination.

No two ways around it--I'd expect such a suit to be dismissed, but if it happens it's bad for her best interests.

Last edited by normie; 05-22-2008 at 01:47 PM..

Old 05-22-2008, 01:02 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,928,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Democrats file suit to seat Florida delegates - 05/22/2008 - MiamiHerald.com (broken link)

Ohhhh, is this delicious, or what?

Take it all the way to the convention floor Hill&Bill!!
It sounds like a slam dunk. What will be interesting is how much it delays things, if at all.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:06 PM

524 posts, read 839,187 times
Indeed. I'm very interested to see how this pans out. If she loses, at least she went down fighting!

Old 05-22-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybone666 View Post
Indeed. I'm very interested to see how this pans out. If she loses, at least she went down fighting!
Yes, it will definitely be interesting. It will probably be dismissed, and even if it went through I doubt it could work. But if it worked, it would be an interesting turn of events, indeed. Forcing a nomination like that would be seen as despicable, so offensive that we could actually see a viable third party arising from the backlash.

Last edited by normie; 05-22-2008 at 01:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections