Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 01:49 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,321,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Ha! You are kidding, aren't you? All plasitic surgery is a result of accident, disease or natural deformity. Are your breasts too big? Natural deformity. Are they too small? Natural deformity.

If your previous surgeon did a bad job -- then the next surgery would be due to "accident."

In Los Angeles, lots of plastic surgery is considered to be "work related" since it has to do with your ability to keep a job.

I only hope they include Dental in all of this. After all, in Los Angeles, you need to have perfect teeth to get a job.
Sorry, VERY weak argument.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 01:58 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Ha! You are kidding, aren't you? All plasitic surgery is a result of accident, disease or natural deformity. Are your breasts too big? Natural deformity. Are they too small? Natural deformity

If your previous surgeon did a bad job -- then the next surgery would be due to "accident."

In Los Angeles, lots of plastic surgery is considered to be "work related" since it has to do with your ability to keep a job.

I only hope they include Dental in all of this. After all, in Los Angeles, you need to have perfect teeth to get a job.
We can place as many restrictions and hoops for people to jump through as we want. You forget, we're democrats, we can fill a 300-page 3-ring binder with regulations on even the most tedious things. Rest assured.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:02 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,166,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Sorry, VERY weak argument.

Ken
None of these are a weak argument at all. These are all reasons accepted by Medical insurance.

If you are an actress, medical insurance will cover boob jobs because it is related to work. <shocker> yes?

Old 05-25-2008, 02:08 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,166,855 times
Quote:
None of these are a weak argument at all. These are all reasons accepted by Medical insurance.

If you are an actress, medical insurance will cover boob jobs because it is related to work. <shocker> yes?
What's even worse is that you don't have to show that you've made any money from being an actress to claim it as a "work related" surgery. You only have to show that you've tried to be an actress.

I think it's quite "middle USA" to think that plastic surgery isn't for the masses. Here, the masses get a lot of plastic surgery. Many claim it is work related since you need to look young to hold a job.

Anyway, Barack's new bill will allow everyone to wak away from the payments of looking young. Booyah!

Old 05-25-2008, 02:34 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,321,953 times
Quote:
What's even worse is that you don't have to show that you've made any money from being an actress to claim it as a "work related" surgery. You only have to show that you've tried to be an actress.

I think it's quite "middle USA" to think that plastic surgery isn't for the masses. Here, the masses get a lot of plastic surgery. Many claim it is work related since you need to look young to hold a job.

Anyway, Barack's new bill will allow everyone to wak away from the payments of looking young. Booyah!
Your logic is REALLY flawed here.

First off, what does one have to do with the other? If it's covered by insurance, then the bulk of the costs are PAID FOR ALREADY and wouldn't be contributing to a bankruptcy.

Secondly, the proposed bankruptcy rules have NOTHING to do with what's covered by insurance. It will have it's own set of exclusions - not even defined yet - and yet here you are proclaiming to know it's shortcomings.

You must think you are psychic or something.

Ken

Old 05-25-2008, 06:25 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,522,498 times
Quote:
Your logic is REALLY flawed here.

First off, what does one have to do with the other? If it's covered by insurance, then the bulk of the costs are PAID FOR ALREADY and wouldn't be contributing to a bankruptcy.

Secondly, the proposed bankruptcy rules have NOTHING to do with what's covered by insurance. It will have it's own set of exclusions - not even defined yet - and yet here you are proclaiming to know it's shortcomings.

You must think you are psychic or something.

Ken
Good point Ken. UB50 is a psychic. He/she even claims that Hispanics will not vote for Obama in the general election coz they're all racists. UB50 apparently has read their minds.

Going back to the topic of rising health care costs.....the reasons given so far have some validity. My view is that the rising cost of anything always boils down to an imbalance between supply and demand. If demand for a good or service is high while supply is kept constant, the price of that good or service will increase. If supply is down while demand is kept constant, the price will also increase. Stated differently, if prices increase, demand should go down until supply increases to bring prices back down to an equilibrium state. However, this relationship assumes perfect price elasticity (i.e. changes in price affect demand in a proportionate manner).

More Americans are utilizing health care services due to the aging population. Demand is great. But health care demand is price-inelastic....meaning, even if you increased the price of a drug by say 1%, that will only produce a drop in demand by 0.17%, not 1%. People will continue to buy the drugs even if they can barely afford them because they think the drugs will save their lives. See this monograph from RAND corporation for a nice discussion: The Elasticity of Demand for Health Care (http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:UNSknjzbmOMJ:www.rand.org/pubs/monograph_reports/2005/MR1355.pdf+is+health+care+demand+inelastic&hl=en&c t=clnk&cd=2&gl=us - broken link)

Lowering the cost of health care cannot be achieved by lowering demand. It will have to be achieved by increasing the supply of goods and services, i.e., producing more doctors, nurses, physician-extenders, hospitals, drugs, medical devices, etc. Emphasizing preventive services will also help, since these services are more price elastic (as shown in the RAND paper) than emergency or acute services.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:48 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,143,981 times
Quote:
That bankruptcy thing he wants -- I find that interesting.

So I go out and spend tons and tons of money that I can't repay -- then I go out and get a bunch of plastic surgery I can't afford (like a boob job, a face lift), then I go and declare bankruptcy -- and Obama is going to let me off?!! Woohoo! Sign me up for plastic surgery!! I can look 20 again!!

I love it!!
come on. Cosmetic surgery is elective, it's not covered by med insurance. The high cost of medical care is a serious issue, why not address it seriously?

Old 05-25-2008, 07:26 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,381 times
I have difficulty understanding UB50's cynicism. I know people personally who have been driven to bankruptcy due to medical bills (and no, they were not getting cosmetic surgery, but fighting cancer). They were thankfully able to declare bankruptcy before the new laws were in place and were thankfully advised to do so.

While I do not have sympathy for people who spend on frivolity and then refuse to pay, I do have sympathy on the desperation of one who will do whatever it takes to stay alive. The way the current bankruptcy laws do not account for that and I applaud his stance.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:05 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
come on. Cosmetic surgery is elective, it's not covered by med insurance. The high cost of medical care is a serious issue, why not address it seriously?
"Elective"
Eor the life of me I couldnt remember that word last night.

Thanks!

Old 05-25-2008, 10:33 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Has anyone ever seen the government save money on any program compared to preivate business. Cost overrun is a common word of governamnt programs and projects. They have run at a loss for years and wasted mney on everyhting they do. Reason has little to do with governamnt spending it is all the good old boy system. My guess is governmant health care will be a disaster;just look at the medicaid systems's problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections