Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 07:58 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,078,237 times

Advertisements

Will someone tell me why "more" is always the answer and we cannot seem to get the idea of less? In the face of decreased energy supply world wide, our houses have gotten bigger, our cars have gotten bigger, and our appetite for all things non-local have gotten bigger. We live in a world awash with oil, from the chairs we sit in, the bottles we drink from, the gas we use, the heating and cooling. We live in a world where we have to have everything so fast, we use extra fuel in services like overnight delivery, etc. We are not a conservative nation, we are a consumer nation, and simple steps like turning off light bulbs, etc have made a huge difference in my house. My husband is European and he is very energy concious and I am grateful for the bills going down, with little impact on our lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 07:59 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Exxon/Mobil had a .40 cent per share dividend last quarter up from a whopping .35 cent the previous. It is not record profits per share it is record revenues (due to size of operation) that allows the media to misrepresent. If you are so worried and think they are making so much then do like millions of others do and INVEST in a energy mutual fund if you are so sure it such a cakewalk for them. Millions of us are not suffering but prospering. I hate to be callous but one Americans pain is another Americans gain. There are those posting in here who are into metals/commodities and are staking their position there. Join the parade there is money to be made if you make the right bet.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:02 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Move closer to work??????!!!
Ya, sell your house NOW, grab that "HUGE" profit, pay the expense of moving and buying something closer to the city which will be MORE expensive...and BOY! will you save money on gas!!!!!!!

Old 05-26-2008, 08:05 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,078,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Exxon/Mobil had a .40 cent per share dividend last quarter up from a whopping .35 cent the previous. It is not record profits per share it is record revenues (due to size of operation) that allows the media to misrepresent. If you are so worried and think they are making so much then do like millions of others do and INVEST in a energy mutual fund if you are so sure it such a cakewalk for them. Millions of us are not suffering but prospering. I hate to be callous but one Americans pain is another Americans gain. There are those posting in here who are into metals/commodities and are staking their position there. Join the parade there is money to be made if you make the right bet.
Not callous, truthful. Our economic system relies on one class being exploited for the profit of the other. That is how it works. Labor is exploited like any other resource to produce a product whose cost is less than its selling price. So those who own the means of production get rich, and those who are consumers pay, until labor is no longer able to pay and then we have either falling prices or an economic failure by the company.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:19 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
You can blame the dems/libs environmentalists;

We can't use the resources we have at home, whether that is in ANWAR, the Gulf, Colorado, etc, etc.

We haven't built a new refinery to increase production for 30 years; again the dems/libs/ enviro ALWAYS find a way to obstruct the process.

We can't go nuclear; dems/libs/environ say that is a non-no.

We can't expand clean coal; still too dirty for the dems/lib/enviros.

If clinto had not vetoed ANWAR drilling back in the 90's, we would be experiencing lower gas prices today. FACT.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:24 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Your answer is part of the solution.

"have to move within walking distance of my work"..

If many people did this, demand would be lower and the price would go down. Thanks for your willingness to do your part, to offset the 200+ miles a day I'm traveling lately.
I work from home. My commute is from the bedroom to the bathroom to the kitchen to my small home office (about 60 feet in all), consisting of a laptop and a halogen light (15 watts I believe).

Does that help?

Old 05-26-2008, 08:33 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,064 times
Aside from the supply/demand issue for oil, the real reason the price is soaring now is the slide of the US dollar. Find a fix for that and gas prices will drop for a while. Won't fix the long-term problem, though . . .

Old 05-26-2008, 08:41 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Move closer to work??????!!!
Ya, sell your house NOW, grab that "HUGE" profit, pay the expense of moving and buying something closer to the city which will be MORE expensive...and BOY! will you save money on gas!!!!!!!
when gas is 15 dollars a gallon in 2 years it WILL start to make sense. Lucky for me, I live in an apartment..Just sold my house.

So I probably will move closer to the place I work...except with todays ressession, there is no guarentee that the place will be open much longer. So All I have is my vote at this point. I don't think either party is going to give me an ounce of help. Im a democrate, but screw them too, they have millions in their bank accounts, even they don't get it.

my Bother inlaw who is a safty officer for one of the major oil companies says that the refineries wont get built because it cost too much money, and they have no reason to spend the extra money. He said, don't EVER expect them to build more.

Why is Argentina only paying 12 cents for gas??????

Old 05-26-2008, 08:41 AM

9,522 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
A gas tax holiday would lower gas costs, which would increase demand, and since gas is already approaching $4, the last thing we need is more demand to push up ther price.

I guess this is what we get for letting our suburbs sprawl out of control without any decent public transportation.
exactly my thoughts also.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:45 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You can blame the dems/libs environmentalists;

We can't use the resources we have at home, whether that is in ANWAR, the Gulf, Colorado, etc, etc.

We haven't built a new refinery to increase production for 30 years; again the dems/libs/ enviro ALWAYS find a way to obstruct the process.

We can't go nuclear; dems/libs/environ say that is a non-no.

We can't expand clean coal; still too dirty for the dems/lib/enviros.

If clinto had not vetoed ANWAR drilling back in the 90's, we would be experiencing lower gas prices today. FACT.
Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh we agree again. Hmmmmm maybe there is a core truth and way out of our mess if we can find the right candidate next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections