Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 01:24 PM

430 posts, read 1,174,835 times

Advertisements

I think he will go but he doesn't have to go with McCain. I respect tha6t McCain has war experience and fought for his country and all he went through but that is all you hear about with him. Just because Obama didn't serve doesn't mean he can't understand the issues of this war. Which by the way more people want us out of. It takers more than being a war hero to be a president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 01:26 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimberly View Post
I think he will go but he doesn't have to go with McCain.
That's Obama's best strategy.

Good call.

Ken

Old 05-27-2008, 01:27 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
Nevertheless, Obama is not the only person who needs to go overseas and see what war is really like.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:27 PM

540 posts, read 962,776 times
Your response is off-topic, but I'll bite.

McCain supports improving the GI Bill, but opposed the way that the Webb bill does it.

Re-enlistments will drop immensly under Webb's plan. A soldier does three years and can go to college for four years without working or having to worry about money - you really think there will be that many that re-enlist? I don't think so.

McCain wants to offer the same thing - but make it incremental - the longer you serve, the more benefits you get. Makes sense to me.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:37 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trzlucky View Post
Your response is off-topic, but I'll bite.

McCain supports improving the GI Bill, but opposed the way that the Webb bill does it.

Re-enlistments will drop immensly under Webb's plan. A soldier does three years and can go to college for four years without working or having to worry about money - you really think there will be that many that re-enlist? I don't think so.

McCain wants to offer the same thing - but make it incremental - the longer you serve, the more benefits you get. Makes sense to me.

So, the GI Bill your dad got after WWII is too good for the guys serving today?

Check!

Old 05-27-2008, 02:51 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
It's easy to voice expert opinions based on conjecture...

If he wants to advise the public he should know his subject first hand.

I think he should go. Unless, of course, he doesn't want to know the facts.

But, then, he really has nothing to compare it to...
He should go. He should go to Afghanistan too since I don't believe he has ever been there yet he keeps making proposals involving the war in Afghanistan.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:54 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,431,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
My Way News - AP INTERVIEW: McCain says Obama should visit Iraq

If obama had his way - he would snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I'd like to hear him keep saying the war is lost - this will play well in the fall.

His judgement in this case - not supporting the surge - has been proven WRONG.

He is a colossal empty suit.
The "jaws of victory"? Your foolish Republican president has been saying that for 5 years, remember "Mission Accomplished" ?

Old 05-27-2008, 03:08 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,838 times
I agree Obama should visit, but I doubt ANY visiting dignitary or politician ever gets to see 100% of the story, they all (McCain, Cheney, Rumsfeld, all of them) get the same tightly scheduled, highly controlled green zone tour and meet with fully vetted soldiers who won't say anything counter to the aggregated upon story. None of them every met guys with stories like this to tell: Iraq Soldier Discusses His "Kills" (VIDEO) - Politics on The Huffington Post

Old 05-27-2008, 03:14 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
I agree Obama should visit, but I doubt ANY visiting dignitary or politician ever gets to see 100% of the story, they all (McCain, Cheney, Rumsfeld, all of them) get the same tightly scheduled, highly controlled green zone tour and meet with fully vetted soldiers who won't say anything counter to the aggregated upon story. None of them every met guys with stories like this to tell: Iraq Soldier Discusses His "Kills" (VIDEO) - Politics on The Huffington Post

They all get the "Potemkin tour". Not much to learn from the visit. It's just a photo-op and a campaign prop.

Having a good session with some vets in the hospitals might yield more useful viewpoints.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:38 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimberly View Post
I think he will go but he doesn't have to go with McCain.
I agree--but I also think it's time for him to go over there. I suppose it's a diplomatic gesture to wait until he's officially the nominee. But IMO he should just go ahead and go now, since it looks like HRC is going to duke it out all the way to August.

I agree it is wiser for any candidate who wants to visit Iraq to go on his own trip. But he does need to go over there, and IMO sooner is better than later. Maybe after June 3rd?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections