Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 12:36 PM

1,331 posts, read 3,000,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.H81 View Post
Don't expect a reply to your post. I posted a vid about IKE making warnings about the MIC to the world and why it was a bad thing, and not once has somebody chimed in to open up dialog. Now that Obama has said some of the same things they all fly out from the peanut gallery
I would love to know just how the 50 year old pronunciations of Eisenhower have any relevance to what's happening today. Especially when China is engaged in a huge military buildup and successfully tested as ASAT weapon less than 3 years ago. Peace through strength is a sound and proven military adage first espoused many centuries ago by Sun Tzu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 01:16 PM

451 posts, read 1,228,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
I would love to know just how the 50 year old pronunciations of Eisenhower have any relevance to what's happening today. Especially when China is engaged in a huge military buildup and successfully tested as ASAT weapon less than 3 years ago. Peace through strength is a sound and proven military adage first espoused many centuries ago by Sun Tzu.

Very good. I see your Sun Tzu, and I raise you why aren't we dealing with the China's and North Korea's. For one our economy's are interlocked with each other. We need each other. We have to look at them as our partners in this world and not as foe's. I did my time on 1 foward deployed ship outta Yoko Japan and another cruise on a aircraft carrier in Asia, they don't want war with us, its more outta fear of what we have done in the past. Also why are we deploying our war machine to the middle east if China is such a issue? China is currently working diligently in Africa to beat us there and is building up and I can imagine before long have a very strong influence there. Why aren't we talking about that. I feel for that the good of the world we could cut our current military spending by a 3rd and get rid of the crap we don't need and still have a great military. I currently serve in it and there is so much waste and the people who need the money aren't getting it. A scale down and giving the money to who really needs it should be the name of the game. Just because you are cutting back doesn't mean you are weak, its just that you should be getting more for your buck.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
A scale down and giving the money to who really needs it should be the name of the game. Just because you are cutting back doesn't mean you are weak, its just that you should be getting more for your buck.
Those sentences boggle my mind and seriously makes me doubt the veracity of your claim to be on active duty.

You can't cut back without weakening the military, that is a contradiction in terms. And who, pray tell, really needs it? If, God forbid, there were any cutbacks, every single dollar should be used to pay down the debt. This nation is already overburdened with ridiculously expensive social programs and they should be the first ones to feel the ax, not the military. The primary function of the US government is to provide for the security of the nation. Not to give hand-outs.

About Africa? Quite frankly, who the hell cares?

Old 06-01-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Those sentences boggle my mind and seriously makes me doubt the veracity of your claim to be on active duty.

You can't cut back without weakening the military, that is a contradiction in terms. And who, pray tell, really needs it? If, God forbid, there were any cutbacks, every single dollar should be used to pay down the debt. This nation is already overburdened with ridiculously expensive social programs and they should be the first ones to feel the ax, not the military. The primary function of the US government is to provide for the security of the nation. Not to give hand-outs.

Ok, so right now the military is in the process of standing up africom for a reason. I can't give too much away because I really am active duty, so I'm speaking with information made to the public. Google africom and get some education for yourself. You didn't even bother to make a comment about the things I said with China. The security of our nation is fine, our influence is whats at danger. I'm all about the military being strong, but we should not have to pay a dollar more for what is not needed. Do you know how much the military gets compared to those social programs you brought up. Google those numbers and you might shock yourself. 548 billion for military, social security takes up 586 billion(but its funny how thats taxes seperately) Social programs get half of that, and education is fighting for scraps. You bring up great concerns, but how you view them is flawed. If we use out military for what a military is made for we will be fine. Using a military for corperate interest is what has us in trouble in the 1st place.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Ok, so right now the military is in the process of standing up africom for a reason. I can't give too much away because I really am active duty, so I'm speaking with information made to the public. Google africom and get some education for yourself. You didn't even bother to make a comment about the things I said with China. The security of our nation is fine, our influence is whats at danger. I'm all about the military being strong, but we should not have to pay a dollar more for what is not needed. Do you know how much the military gets compared to those social programs you brought up. Google those numbers and you might shock yourself. 548 billion for military, social security takes up 586 billion(but its funny how thats taxes seperately) Social programs get half of that, and education is fighting for scraps. You bring up great concerns, but how you view them is flawed. If we use out military for what a military is made for we will be fine. Using a military for corperate interest is what has us in trouble in the 1st place.
That last sentence smacks of leftist paranoia, to be honest.

Far more money is spent on money-sucking entitlement programs than the military. As I've previously stated, and you know this to be true, the primary function of a federal government is national security. I'd far rather waste some money and error on the side of caution than the converse. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:10 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
Quote:

Oh please. American taxpayers are funding war profiteers - at the expense of our security, our troops and our bank account.

But please, go back to the grade school Rambo view of national security.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:22 PM

So the military is like a condom for the nation. You can take the extra and give it to education something we are falling behind in. The military is not a means to a ends. I'm not a lefits of right winger. For 1 I can not sit here and belive that 2 parties speak for 280 million people. Further more I know what goes on in the military 1st hand, I got about 80 days left and I can't wait till I'm gone. I dont know much of the insider willing and dealing, but I do know we buy a lot of crap, and that money could be used elsewhere in the country. Back in WW2 FDR said that nobody in the country will become a millionare off the war, and Truman did investigations into people who were suspected of it. Now fast foward to IRAQ the Ceo's and stockholders of the large military contractors have been raking in the dough for the past 7-10 years. So I will ask you this. Do you think they should be allowed to profit of American blood?

Old 06-01-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Oh please. American taxpayers are funding war profiteers - at the expense of our security, our troops and our bank account.

But please, go back to the grade school Rambo view of national security.
But please, keep drawing your world-view from Moveon.org. Some of you people never cease to amaze with your naive, blind idea of how the world really works.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
So the military is like a condom for the nation. You can take the extra and give it to education something we are falling behind in. The military is not a means to a ends. I'm not a lefits of right winger. For 1 I can not sit here and belive that 2 parties speak for 280 million people. Further more I know what goes on in the military 1st hand, I got about 80 days left and I can't wait till I'm gone. I dont know much of the insider willing and dealing, but I do know we buy a lot of crap, and that money could be used elsewhere in the country. Back in WW2 FDR said that nobody in the country will become a millionare off the war, and Truman did investigations into people who were suspected of it. Now fast foward to IRAQ the Ceo's and stockholders of the large military contractors have been raking in the dough for the past 7-10 years. So I will ask you this. Do you think they should be allowed to profit of American blood?
Your assertions sound like they've been lifted directly from some leftist blog. I mean no offense but that's sure as heck what I'm inferring from your posts.

I put my time in the military about 20 years ago and I currently have several friends serving. I don't know of any who share your, hmm, unique view of things. But hey, you are entitled to your opinion and thank you for your service.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Your assertions sound like they've been lifted directly from some leftist blog. I mean no offense but that's sure as heck what I'm inferring from your posts.

I put my time in the military about 20 years ago and I currently have several friends serving. I don't know of any who share your, hmm, unique view of things. But hey, you are entitled to your opinion and thank you for your service.

You got it right, I am the crazy one at work, and I will miss the people more than anything. However when I was 18 I would do anything for this country, now at 26 when you feel you have been ripped off, its very painful. Others are able to deal with it more, but I've decided not to protest and I'm going to finish my time and walk into the sunset, but I do have the feeling of being taken advantage off.

but can you answer the questions of the defence contractors making millions of american blood is it right or wrong? When in the past the president made sure it wouldn't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections